I'm completely lazy and don't really feel like blogging, but before I let too much time slip by again between posts, I figure I should take a few moments to whip something up.
Now, in my last couple posts I kept meaning to share our plans for the new year, but I blabbered on much too long about other stuff, and then never got around to writing about our future plans. So. In case it wasn't already obvious, Jim n' I have decided that it probably makes sense to move closer to the coast.
The way we're looking at it, even after editing is complete at the end of February, the year ahead is going to require numerous trips west for meetings and screenings as the process continues. Colour correcting, sound mixing, visual fx, and score -- all of which will need to be done before June, and half of which will likely require Jim's involvement in some way big or small.
Not to mention, over the last couple of months we've both made a number of industry contacts, and we recognize that it might be good to relocate while those connections are still warm. For instance, one of our set decorating guys was telling Jim that he'd like to bring him on set for the next movie he's working on. It's a big budget film being produced by the Weinstein brothers. And while it's only an invite to check out the set, it's one of those unique chances to network that wouldn't exist if we lived in Kelowna. It also makes you think, what other opportunities might be around the corner if we lived closer to the coast?
Then again, if we're completely honest with ourselves, all sources indicate that the *real* opportunities aren't found in Vancouver at all. Maybe if you're a grip or an electrician... However, if you want to take your career as a director, writer or producer seriously, you gotta move to L.A.
But one step at a time.
We have no reason to go south yet. We'd prefer to wait n' see what kind of buzz DE generates at the festivals first, and we'll take it from there. Our guts will tell us what to do when the time comes. Truthfully, neither of us are keen to go south. L.A. just sounds so phony n' smoggy n' blegh... so not B.C. Yet it's one of those things that if and when the time comes, we'll have to weigh the sacrifice vs. possible gain. Anyway, that kind of leap is at least a year or two from now. For now, we're going to take the first logical baby step by heading to the coast.
Well, sorta the coast....
Our little girl actor's mother owns a condo in Coquitlam (which is just on the outskirts of Vancouver). It was damaged in a building fire a year n' a half ago, and is almost done being restored. They just have to move the new appliances in. She offered it to Jim n' I for a song. Sure, it's much smaller than where we're living now in Kelowna.... but it's also cheaper. And she's willing to rent it out to us for a good $300 less than what she could be asking, just because she really likes us. (I think she's super cool too, and would make a fabulous landlady.)
We've seen a few pictures, and the place looks very nice n' cozy. (I've always wanted a fireplace! :) I also did some Googling on Coquitlam condo fires and managed to nail down the exact location. We scoped out the neighbourhood a few weeks ago, and it's pretty swanky and close to lots of amenities. There's a hot tub and gym on site, and it's pet friendly too. Anyway, we will check the place out first hand when we return. In the meantime, I've done a lot of surfing on Craigslist and Kijiji and it really sounds like our best bet. I also believe that when the universe places a great opportunity right in your lap, it's for a reason. I know it's where we're meant to live.
Of course it's only a one bedroom, which'll mean significantly downsizing our lives. Fortunately, I had already started a big purge before we left for Maple Ridge back in September. As I've mentioned before, there's something very liberating about just getting rid of everything. We accumulate so much crap that we don't need - it feels good to shed it all and just let go.
But even with my urge to purge, I'll admit that only a couple weeks ago, I wasn't quite as keen about the prospect of a big move. Mainly because Jim will still be editing when the condo becomes available, and I'll probably have to fly home a week before him to start packing. (And to those who have already offered to help or were planning to, I mean this will all sincerity - thanks but no thanks. I do not need any help. We just have tooooo much shit to get rid of, and anyone else puttering around would only be in my way. I've done the pack n' purge party before, and it wasn't a good experience....)
Anyway, like I was about to say, I know that looking at the whole ordeal from a dark and dreading perspective won't help us get over this hump any easier... so I've started looking at the bright side. For example, we can finally leave behind our hideous, piece o' shit dressers and pick up a nice new one after we move! Also, I will finally have the power to convince Jim to let go of some of his closet clutter! I've made him cleanse his closets a few times in the past, and I'll give him some credit that he's done well -- but he's still much more sentimental than I am when it comes to clinging to old magazines and other nicknack nonsense. Although I might let him hang on to his massive collection of Archie comics, since he still reads them from time to time.
A side note: Did you know Jim and Jay still own every single Archie comic they've had since childhood - and they started collecting them before they could read!? Yeah... I'm not kidding. I can't remember if Jay took half the collection with him when he moved in with Cheryl, or if he dropped his half of the collection off with us. Either way, Jim's has HUNDREDS of them stacked up (neatly, thank goodness) on his side of our bedroom closet. Hey, there's another bonus of moving -- Coquitlam has an Ikea! Maybe we can get him a nice closet/comic organizer. :)
Anyhow, I'm trying to stay positive and look at this move more like an adventure than an expensive hassle. When I think about it, the last time I was this comfortable in my lifestyle, I instinctively knew that it was holding me back. I forced myself to move and saw my world change in incredible ways. This moment in time feels very much the same. We're so comfortable here in Kelowna, but we can only move forward by pushing ourselves outside of our comfort zone. Even if it's just Coquitlam for now and L.A. later (if ever), who knows how our lives may unexpectedly change for the better with just a 250 mile shift to the west.
So yeah... I guess that's my new year's news. Change is in the air. A move is on the horizon. And I truly believe the best is yet to come.
Wow, super exciting for two. It must be wild to have completed the filming, but then realizing how much is still ahead. Congrats, yet again!
ReplyDelete