Sunday, July 3, 2011

Movie Mingling

Last Tuesday Jim n' I attended a meet n' greet function at the Railway Club. (I think.) Every year around this time, the TIFF programers come to town to watch a few submissions and say hello to everyone. These folks are responsible for choosing what goes into the festival, so it's obviously good politics to meet 'em. We weren't sure what to expect, except that the evening would involve drinks at a pub. 


Jim n' I wandered around the many-roomed bar until we finally came across a small room in the back. It was packed to the nuts (as the uncouth might say). Our two producers were right at the entrance, so that made things simple. We wiggled our way into the crowd, and soon discovered that the event was open bar  - a pretty swell surprise. We're always happy to save some money these days. Our budget is tiiiiiight! I think it would've been easy for anyone to crash that party. No one was at the door checking the list. 


As we mingled, we set our sights on the three programmers that we needed to meet. Obviously everyone was there to meet them, so finding the right opportunity to strike up a conversation took us a while. I thought we'd be outta there by 10, but we didn't leave until after 12. 


The unspoken rule is that you never ask the programmers for their thoughts on your film. You keep it koo. Our conversations with them were very friendly. They all seem like nice people. Actually, the overall vibe of the evening was more relaxed and informal than I had expected. The only blegh aspect was that the room was very crowded and stuffy. There was no a/c.


Because we left so late, we missed my friend Mark's show that was touring through town. The bar was closing as we got there, but at least we tried. :P


Then the next afternoon we rushed off to watch Jim's friend Kirk's film screening. Long fabulously interesting story short, Jim n' Kirk went to school together in a small pit-stop town a million years ago -- and they both wrapped post-production on their first feature films within the same week. The two just got in touch a few weeks ago for the first time since high school.


For the last 9 years or so, Kirk has been working as a stunts coordinator in Vancouver for some pretty big films like X-men n' such. He took the last two n' a half years off stunts to write, direct, compose, and star in his own self-financed musical called "Hit 'n Strum". Kirk is hoping that his film gets into TIFF because he really needs to find a distributer. Otherwise all his time, energy and money has been for naught. He's taken quite a huge risk, but I'm sure he'll get distribution. The film is lovely.


Awkwardly enough, upon our arrival to Kirk's screening we learned that he had just found out that no one is allowed in to the theaters when the TIFF programmers are evaluating it. In fact, they don't even sit in the same areas of the theater together. The process is that private. So we ended up just grabbing a coffee with Kirk and his producer, and made plans to watch it at his place instead... which we did last night. 


Hit n' Strum is about a homeless busker who is the victim of a hit and run by a lawyer. Soon after the accident she realizes that this busker plays in front of her building every day, leaving her no choice but to approach him, and... well, you'll have to see it for yourself (once he succeeds in getting it released. I know he will!) It's beautifully shot, the writing is sharp and avoids cliche, and the music is absolutely wonderful! It's a great little movie. I'd probably compare it to "Once" meets "The Visitor". (And if you haven't seen either of those two charming films, you really should!) 


Kirk has never acted before, but in preparation for his role he spent a few days living as a homeless person on East Hastings. He bought his food using only the money he got from collecting bottles and busking. This video shows Kirk's character transformation for the film.





Cool stuff! 


Anyway, there's so much more I want to write about, but I'm feeling a little laptopped out right now. I've been in a total painting groove lately, so I should probably honour that. 

4 comments:

  1. Oooh! Very exciting! I saw Vlad the other day and we were saying we can't wait to see your film. (I love the Railway Club btw, I have spent way, way, WAY too many hours in there. And yes, I know what you mean by the back room and the stuffy.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, but if it's an 'unspoken' rule then someone had to tell you about it. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linsey ~ Cool! Jim was just talking to Vlad the other day, making sure he was still safe at CP. We read about the layoffs. The Railway Club seems like a really cool place. I noticed that one of the rooms had a band. I love when a bar has options, with nooks n' crannies to explore. (Even if they're stuffy...)

    Robert ~ Ha! I guess you're right. Although it was something we automatically assumed before it was confirmed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, lots of live music at the Railway. Used to be a fave of the Tragically Hip - they'd show up and play once in a while and there'd be an instant enormous line to get in and see. (Am I dating myself???)

    ReplyDelete