Monday, January 25, 2010

Reader Reports

Well, two of three reader reports came in today. In general, the consensus was that they both really liked the story and felt that there wasn't much work required to polish up the script to make it camera-ready.

That is where the consensus ended.

I suppose it just goes to show how art is completely subjective. Whether it's a book, a band or a movie... beauty is in the eye of the beholder and not everyone is gonna agree.

Naturally, this makes it a little difficult to determine which notes we should use and which we should ignore. I guess ultimately it comes down to this being our script, and therefore, it's our choice which adjustments we want to make. (FYI: "Our" also encompasses our producers, but they're pretty much always on the same page as Jim n' I, so no worries there...)

Here are just a few examples of the conflicting feedback we received....

* The first reader thought that act one was perfect as is. She more or less said, "Don't touch it."

* Meanwhile, the second reader thought that a couple of the scenes should be added or moved around in the first act. He even thought that one or two beats should be moved further into the second. While I'm not completely opposed, I'm also not really sure how I feel about it either...  Especially since the first reader said, don't touch the first act.

* The first reader is really pushing us to make the movie a lot darker and more intense. Most of her suggestions were to increase the conflict in every possible scene, to the point where I personally wouldn't find Donovan to be a very likable protagonist at all. Basically she wants us to make him into a self-loathing asshole, and cut out any and all sentimentality in the script.

For example, in one of her notes, she said that she wanted Donovan to say "F*ck you" and physically body-check Finnley, instead of just smashing his window. Since we really need to avoid an R rating, (for many different reasons that I won't get into),  I can already tell you right now that this is one suggestion we're not going use. No f-bombs are going to be dropped in our movie.

She had a few other similar suggestions that would seriously change the tone of the film as well. And while I certainly respect her opinion and am open to making some changes... in a handful of scenes, there's just no way. I don't mind if Don edges a little more on the self-loathing side when wallowing in all his regret, but as for transforming him into this really dark hateful protagonist like she is suggesting... I don't know. I can't see it happening.

* Meanwhile, the second reader seemed to really like the tone of the film, and thought that Donovan's attitude and personality was perfect as is.

Sigh.

I guess we'll have to wait n' see what the third reader has to say. The third reader will be fresh, while these first two had already read an earlier version in the fall. They're the ones referred to as "She Who Hates Everything" and another toughy, who doesn't have a special behind-his-back nickname.

Actually, even though She Who Hates Everything did point out the things she liked and mentioned a couple times that she really enjoyed our story, I still can't help but wonder given her harsh reputation and all the constant pushing to be darker, darker, darker, if she's a very happy person in real life? Know what I mean?

Her "f*ck you" attitude also comes across a lot in her report writing. When there's a scene or a line she thinks should be changed, she's extremely blunt and fiercely cutting. Without sounding defensive -- because obviously, I'm totally open to constructive criticism, and believe it or not, I do have very thick skin -- I will say that sometimes her critiques almost come across as unprofessional. I think you should be able to articulate why you would like to see something changed without being borderline insulting.

That being said, it seriously blows my mind that she actually enjoyed the script... because you certainly wouldn't know it the way she chooses to express herself. Ouch!  (I guess that explains why she has a special nickname. Ha!)

Oh well...

So, like I was sayin', we have one more report to look forward to, and then we meet with our producers on Wednesday to discuss any last speak-now-or-forever-hold-your-peace tweaks we want to make over the next week or two, before moving forward to cast our Donovan.

Speaking of Don, Jim n' I watched "Before The Devil Knows Your Dead" last night, because it was the last film that Finney was in. It was filmed in 2006, so it'll be four years old by the time we get to go to camera. We just wanted to see how he's lookin' these days. After all, it's been a long time since he starred in Erin Brockovitch and Big Fish.

And while he's looking just a little older than how we remember him, (then again, aren't we all?), he's still  how we imagine our Donovan, and of course he performed his part very well.

Anyhoo... so that's the latest. I'll let you know what reader number three has to say one we get his/her report.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you guys are standing your ground on the f-shots, Mel. I personally appreciate movies that relay sentiment without resorting to the 'easy' way out via verbal vulgarity. I much prefer your method of capturing emotion through visual expression, which I am sure is much more difficult to do, but so worth it in the end.

    Sounds to me like 'She Who Hates Everything' was getting a bit frustrated that she couldn't find enough to hate... good job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha. Maybe. Her way of expressing herself was much more acidic in this round - and yet, she kept commenting on how good the overall story is and how great our improvements are in certain scenes. I guess she likes to balance her kind compliments with extra sharp criticisms. ;)

    ReplyDelete