Friday, January 29, 2010

Roses and Thorns Jan 23 - 29

Ho hum.... where to begin?

Rose
I finally finished my painting this evening, and I think the more I look at it, the more I like it.

Usually by the time I'm done painting something, I'm totally sick of it. I don't even want to hang it on the wall (but I do.) However, this painting was different. I really wasn't in love with it from the start, and yet, it somehow charmed its way into my heart as I put on the finishing touches over these last few days. In fact, I'd almost consider keeping it, if it wasn't a birthday gift for a friend.

It's funny that I should be so attracted to it because the subject matter isn't "me" at all. It's very "her" (which is obviously why I painted it as a gift). In any case, I sure hope she likes it too.

I'll post some pics of my paintings after I mail it off and it's no longer a surprise.

Thorn
Further rewrites. I hope we can finally come to a consensus soon. Sigh.

Jim was re-reading the reader's notes this afternoon, and he pointed out that there are a quite a number of things they suggested that we should do with the story, which were elements that Jim n' I originally had, but were told to revise.

For instance, during our last draft we were told, "Donovan should be way more excited in the coffee scene." Now we're hearing, "Donovan should be more cool and matter-of-fact in the coffee scene." Arrrgh... you mean, make it like we had it a couple months ago?!


So yeah, that's definitely a friggin' thorn.

*deep breath*

But we'll get there....

Rose
I had a wonderful, wonderful three hour chat with one of my oldest and goodest friends the other day.  Heather and I haven't spoken (with the exception of email, of course) since her visit last July. Crazy! I can't believe it's been so long! And yet, it always seems to be that way. Our phone calls are few and far between, but when we finally speak, we never miss a beat.

I don't know if it's because of our shared humour or common perspectives on life, but she is one of those very rare friends that sets the bar frighteningly high for all others. I love her to pieces.

Her call was especially well-timed as it came only a half hour after our crappy conference call on Wednesday. I spent the next three hours catching up and laughing, and devising future career plans to apprentice for the shaky lady. A woman who aggressively stalks and chases after customers for change in Ottawa grocery store parking lots.

After our call, I came bouncing back into the living room completely refreshed and revitalized. Meanwhile, poor Jim had spent those same three hours sitting alone with his thoughts. I think Jim really needs a Heather in his life too.

Thorn
Jim has been sick all week with a nasty throat infection, and I feel bad for the guy. He use to get them a couple times a year, but since working from home, he's been very, very good and has hardly had any at all. (Hey, there's a lot to be said about not getting out much!)

On a brighter note, he went to the clinic this morning and got some antibiotics. He did his best to try and fight it off on his own, but those throat infections are too stubborn for the likes of mere salt water and lozenges.

Poor Jim.... (And yes, I realize that's the second time I've said "poor Jim" in this post. He's really had a rough week.)

Rose
Well, since I wrote last week's roses n' thorns before my big night out on Friday with Lara, I think I should be allowed to include it in this week's grouping. I don't need to say much else about the evening, because I think I pretty much said it all already. Suffice to say, there were so many roses that night, the evening was just one big bouquet.

Thorn
The dolphin slaughter in Denmark. The news was originally sent to me in an email from a friend, and it included about a dozen very disturbing images. The slaughter is pretty disgusting and has no purpose except to prove a right of passage for Danish men living in that particular region. I don't know how torturing and killing hundreds of endangered species every year is supposed to signify manhood? But what do I know anyway? The link provided above goes to an online petition. I hope you'll consider signing it.

Rose
Last weekend I hosted a belated birthday dinner for Jim's dad. It was a very nice low-key evening, except that I prepared waaaay too much food. My "best" bruschetta, mango-avocado salsa and nachos, almond-fig brie, a shrimp ring, honey garlic wings, spinach dip with bread, a rainbow's assortment of veggies with dill dip and garlic hummus, a variety of crackers, cheeses, grapes and olives. Then Cheryl brought over a cream cheese pepper jelly spread and some crab dip. Oy. Toooo much foooood!

Some of the dips and cheeses are still sitting in the fridge just waiting to be chucked out. What a waste.

Wait a minute... for a rose, this is starting to sound like a thorn. Ha.

Oh well...  everyone seemed to eat well that night and have a pretty decent time. And Jim n' I tried to eat as much as we could in the days that followed. So yes, in the end the night was a rose. (Except for the waste in the days that followed. That probably counts as a thorn.)

Thorn
This shouldn't be a thorn, but it is.... My mom sent me a few pictures of my nephew David tonight, and it made me sad. He looks like such a little boy now. This series of three photos are my favourite of the blurry bunch, as you kinda get to see the lil' guy in action. I think I need to make a visit home soon.


Rose
I finally got my hair cut. Layers n' bangs. Exciting!!

Thorn
As my hairdresser combed through my long wet hair, I somehow managed to break two of her combs. She said she has broken combs before... but never two on one head. Ha ha. Apparently it's because my hair is so thick... but I'm gonna blame the cheap combs. ;)

Rose
Last night we went to the Summerland Gallery to check out our friend Jeremy's "Looking Into Ice" exhibit. It was super cool and very inspiring to see him make the leap from a part-time passion to a public event. You can check out a slideshow of his beautiful gallery photos here. Very awesome stuff!!

No more thorns. That's all she wrote!

2 comments:

  1. Aww, thanks again for coming out, and sorry I wasn't very good company (for anyone).

    Also, I'm considering downloading Poison's Every Rose Has Its Thorn just to provid the soundtrack for reading these entries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I guess when you're the artist, everyone wants a piece. You had a really great turnout!

    Ha. That's funny. :) I've thought of inserting a soundtrack for certain posts, but I think Playlist automatically starts playing as soon as the page loads, and I'm sure that wouldn't come as a nice surprise to those who aren't expecting it.

    ReplyDelete