Sunday, September 19, 2010

Fabulous Four Eyes

The year was 1996. Controversy abounded with the cloning of Dolly the sheep. One-hit-wonder Donna Lewis promised that she'd love you, always forever. Whitey needed an oil change. Trainspotting redefined heroin chic. And it was also the last time I had my eyes checked...

I still remember learning that my right eye was ever-so-slightly weaker than my left, despite my otherwise perfect vision. My optometrist suggested that I might discover that I need glasses in my early twenties when doing finer details in my artwork. So I kept that tidbit in mind over the next fourteen years...

I guess I've never seen optometrists the same way as dentists. With teeth there's an obvious need for regular maintenance. Whereas I've always figured that if you didn't have a problem seeing things, then why bothering visiting an optometrist, y'know?

Anyhow, while I haven't had a problem seeing things per se, over the last few months I've started getting sore eyes and headaches whenever I edit big blocks of text or have my nose inches from the canvas. When I caught myself complaining that I wish I could write/paint with my eyes closed so they wouldn't cause me such grief, I figured that maybe it was time to book an appointment.

For the most part, I passed all the tests with flying colours. It was only when I read the smallest row across the room with both eyes, that I realized I had mistakenly said G instead of S when I had recited that same line with only my right eye moments earlier. D'oh! Darn you weaker right eye! But overall, my vision is pretty perfect... it's more a fatigue thing, I think. So the optometrist prescribed me a mild lens that would help to take the edge off, as he put it.

I then spent the next hour trying on frames, and going through a gradual process of elimination. I love, love, LOVE the glasses I got SO much, that I almost wish my eyes were bad enough so I had to wear 'em all the time. I know, I know! Careful what you wish you. I'm only kidding. I realize that it's just a novelty thing, and I really am grateful that I have great eye sight and don't need to wear glasses all the time.

Still, I found that glasses make a super fun accessory. It's like cutting or dying your hair in the way that they totally change your appearance. And I think I make a pretty groovy Poindexter,  if I do say so myself. (Oh yeah, and Jim says they're sexy. Tee hee. ;)

Anyhow, I get them tomorrow and I'm pretty excited about it! I can't wait to start editing and painting with my fabulous new four eyes!

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see the glasses...I'm sure you'll look gorgeous as ever! :)

    But...it was the Whitey comment that killed me. I was litterally ROTFLMAO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *LOL* I knew you would be. ;) It was either that or the party hat, but I thought the oil was funnier...

    ReplyDelete