Friday, September 24, 2010

Roses and Thorns Sept. 11 - Sept. 24

It feels like this has been a very full two weeks...

Rose
Our anniversary road trip!!

Our journey began with a last minute detour to check out the Summerland Fall Fair, after I spotted a small sandwich board on the side of the road.  We didn't have any change on us, but being the Mayberry-eque town that Summerland is, they insisted that we could take a look around for free.

There was no overpriced midway or rip-off games, but instead lots of large vegetables, baked goods, quilts and perogies. Just for fun, I had my picture taken with a 750 pound pumpkin, while simultaneously feeling my eyes well up as the bagpipes began wailing from the small stage. (I'd include pictures in this post, except that we keep our pictures on Jim's computer... and well, how long has it taken me to finish my Hometown Glory photo tour? Oh, that's right... I still haven't finished it yet!)

Anyhow, who knew that bagpipes had the same effect on me as chopping onions? How embarrassing! I'm sure bagpipes make me weepy eyed because I subconsciously associate them with Remembrance Day. That's really the only time you ever hear 'em -- during the Remembrance Day ceremony on TV, just as they pan the camera over to those ancient WWII vets, who are always dressed to the nines in their uniforms, some tucked beneath blankets in their wheelchairs... Jeez, talk about pulling your heartstrings!

My watery eyes weren't too noticeable though - thank goodness - because right after the bagpipes finished playing, we ran into Gwen and she didn't seem to think I had been crying... (Not that I was crying... I was just weepy. Big difference! Ha. ;) We told her we were headed to Osoyoos, and she recommended that we check out the Burrowing Owl winery in Oliver. What a great suggestion! The views from the lookout tower were breathtaking! I wish our camera could do it justice, because the vineyards just went on and on forever.

We decided to take our time and enjoy the view with a light lunch of pickies. The only downside is that the Pinot Gris is a fruit fly fave, so we ended up ditching our seats on the terrace and seeking refuge inside to escape them. :P

As we continued on our way down to Osoyoos, Jim n' I agreed that the South Okanagan almost puts Kelowna's wine industry to shame. There's a billion n' one wineries down that way! Too bad we didn't have the time and a d.d. to try 'em all. (Or at least more than just one...)

We finally arrived at our destination, Watermark Beach Resort. It wasn't originally my first choice, only because another resort had more stunning photos on their website, but their packages were more affordable. And after doing a bit of research I learned that WBR was also the newest resort and had the best reviews in Osoyoos. So that made our decision pretty easy.

Anyhow, the resort was awesome, awesome! I would TOTALLY go back! They even upgraded us to a one bedroom suite for no apparent reason. How nice!!

Dinner and breakfast were both really tasty. The hot tubs and pool were great - especially since we had them to ourselves! And even though it was September, the lake temperature was pretty comfortable too... for dipping my feet in anyway. Of course, it is apparently Canada's warmest lake, so I probably could've braved a swim if I really wanted to.... but why would I when there's two lakeside hot tubs and a pool? ;)

On our way home, we took Gwen's advice once more and made a pit stop in at the Desert Centre. The building itself is about the size of a high school portable. Actually, I think it is a portable. And while the displays were pretty neat, I think it would've been a lot cooler with kids, as there are all kinds of interactive activities n' such for them to do. We then took the little self-directed tour through the desert, which Jim found boring for the most part, but I think he eventually got into it. ;)

After our tour, we made our way up to Penticton. There we had lunch with a high school friend of mine, Tony, who was visiting from Alberta. He didn't reenact the blueberry muffin incident from grade 10 German class like he said he was going to, and for that I was grateful.

And then we made our way home.

Whew... that rose was a post in itself, wasn't it? Okay, maybe I'll write a quick thorn and then take a break.

Thorn
We have so much to do in the next week... cleaning, packing, connecting with friends, disconnecting utilities, etc.

Plus, poor Jim has been swamped with interviews via Skype every day, while trying to plug through his storyboards. He has a couple thousand drawings to do (every single shot of the movie), and he's not quite a quarter of the way through 'em yet. To say that it's a LOT of work is an understatement! I know he really hates drawing, (yes, it's true -- just because he's a talented artist doesn't mean he enjoys it) still, he doesn't complain. He realizes that it's a small price to pay in the big scheme of things. (I guess you could say this thorn is written on Jim's behalf. A sympathy thorn, if you will... )

Okay, and now I had better get back to my cleaning n' organizing. Time is whipping by and I don't want next Friday to come and find myself buried beneath loose ends. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment