Okay, even though I should be blogging about our plans for the new year, or buying a Christmas gift for Jim, or doing any number of things to prepare for our trip home on Friday, instead I've been battling some sort of cold-in-waiting-achy-something-or-other the last couple days, and so I think I'm gonna indulge my almost-sick, lazy, achy side and just amuse myself by blogging about something fun. (And then I might consider pulling my groggy ass off the couch, getting some fresh air, and buying Jim his Christmas present, before I run out of time and we're back in Kelowna and I can't find said Christmas gift anywhere in town...)
Anyhow, I was just over at my friend Janet's blog, and around this time of year a lot of the bloggers on that site like to post fun little survey games, like the one I'm about to do below. I think I'd be cool to read some of your answers too, if you're feeling so inclined to put them in the comments section, in a FB note, or on your own blog. But no pressure... it can be a real time-waster. (Or perhaps that's all the more reason to do it.)
Here we go!
Favourite Colour - Pink. The brighter the better. I would have a pink tree if Jim didn't find it so darn girly. Instead ours has red, white, silver and clear ornaments. And you know what I just realized -- together red, white, silver and clear make up bright metallic pink! Ha. So we DO have a pink tree after all... kinda. ;)
Anyway, pink was never my favourite colour until my life when through a big transformation a number of years ago. Suddenly I found that I couldn't get enough of it! I bought a pink mug, a pink jacket, I painted in pink. Pink, pink, pink. Everything new that I purchased was pink. Interestingly enough, Janet also listed pink as becoming her new favourite colour after a similar experience. But I think it makes sense... A few weeks ago when I was discussing my affinity for pink with Kerry, she pointed out that pink is the colour of self-love. That explains a lot. A fresh start in life, giving way to a new-found sense of self-love.
I don't care what anyone says, pink is where it's at! :)
Favourite Decoration - This little metal Santa Claus that when you pull the string between his legs (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?) his limbs all move. I think he's kinda neat. We bought him on our wedding day at a Christmas store in Salzburg. (Yes, we got married in the morning, and then went souvenir shopping in the afternoon. Is that so unusual?) When we got home, I wrote our wedding date on the back of him. BTW, we got married in September not December -- those Germans just really love their Christmas ornaments. (There was a year-round Easter-themed store too!)
Favourite Hymn - O Holy Night. I don't know what it is about that song, but it gives me shivers every time. One of my favourite versions is by Billy Gilman. I don't know who he is, except that we thought that little girl had the voice of an angel. And then we discovered that it was a little boy. Yeah... I can tell the difference (now). And say what you will, but Celine Dion does an especially powerful rendition as well. The lady's got pipes!
Favourite Secular Song - Happy Xmas (War is Over) by John and Yoko. Love that song.
And coming in second place, Baby It's Cold Outside by Dean Martin.
And while we're on the topic of Secular Christmas songs, I just learned last week that Santa Baby is sung by Madonna. Did you know that? I always thought it was super old. Anyway, I kinda like that one too.
Favourite Classical Song - Oh, I have so many, but I think I'll choose I'll Be Home For Christmas by Frank Sinatra. It's just so sad. And everyone wants to feel sad at Christmastime, right? Ha.
Oh wait, my other favourite classical song is Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas by Judy Garland. That's a sad one too. I don't know why, but I really love sad Christmas songs.
BTW, what's the difference between secular and classical? Who makes up these surveys anyway?
Despised Song - I don't know. The 12 Days of Christmas is probably my least favourite. Isn't it everyone's least favourite? It just goes on and on and on.... Although I have to admit that I don't mind it so much when John Denver and the muppets sing it. But what can I say? I'm a muppet lover.
Tree Topper -A flashy white star.
Christmas Singer (Male) - I don't know. I'm not partial to any one singer, I just like certain songs. Most of our music is just a random mixed bag we've collected through the years, and not any one artist in particular, except the Charlie Brown Christmas soundtrack, The Barenaked Ladies, Garth Brooks and Elvis. Okay, for the sake of putting down an answer, let's just say Elvis is my favourite male singer. (That'll make Mom C happy, I'm sure... ;)
Christmas Singer (Female) - As above, so below. (No, I don't mean Elvis. But that I don't have any favourite female Christmas singers.)
Reindeer - Rudolph. I mean really, who answers Blitzen or Donner? They were just a bunch of bullies - especially that Olive.
Story - I don't know. I don't really have a favourite for this one. What are my choices here? The Christmas Story from the Bible or Twas the Night Before Christmas? I don't really know of any others...
I've reenacted the Christmas story countless times, during many years of Sunday School pageants -- but always with my mind focused on getting that big bag o' candy at the end of the night. Right, Jode? That was the best! Although I'm sure the bags weren't really as huge as I remember. Meanwhile, Twas the Night is fine n' all, but it never really was part of my childhood. So I guess by default, the Christmas Story it is.
Movie - Scrooged. LOVE that movie. Elf is a close second, but Scrooged holds a special place in my heart, because I've adored it since I was a kid. It's creepy enough to be by Tim Burton, but was actually directed by Richard Donner. (The guy who brought you such classics as Superman, Leather Weapon and the Goonies.) If you haven't seen it, well, then you should. Bill Murray at his caustic finest. And I also love Bobcat Goldthwait. You don't see enough of that guy anymore.
T.V. Animation - Easy. Charlie Brown Christmas. Next.
This video might be getting old, but it's so well done, I think it's still worth posting.
Dinner - I don't know if I have a favourite Christmas dinner, per se. Even though I'm a foodie, I find that it's the atmosphere that is most memorable. I have many fond memories of Christmas as a child, sitting at the kid's table in Grandpa Junop's kitchen, listening to the adults cackle from the dining room, and Uncle Neil laugh at his own jokes long after everyone else has stopped. Ha. But that could be applied to any number of gatherings.
I also always enjoyed Jim's late Grandma Alvina's tradition of having a little glass (or two or three) of Aquavit with dinner to "help digestion so you can eat more"-- probably because the stuff is so strong is just burns through everything your stomach. Still, I always found it an entertaining way to break up dinner, as two or three times through the meal, we'd stop, refill our glasses, toast "skoal", throw back a shot, and refill our plates. Kinda fun. :)
Dessert - Again, no desserts really stand out for me. Pumpkin pie is always great, no matter who makes it. But you don't have to wait for Christmas to have some.
Beverage - Hot apple cider. The kind that has been steeping on the stove all day, with cinnamon sticks and cloves. Tasty goodness. My dad always made really great apple cider.
Snack/Treat - While Cheryl's almond rocca is amazing, one piece is more than enough for me. Otherwise, my taste buds prefer to lick the savory side of the spoon. I can have a plate of sweets sit in front of me all day long, and won't touch it until I get tired of the sweet tooth candy pushers constantly asking, "Have you had any yet? Take one. There's tarts in the kitchen. There's a box of chocolates on the table. Take some. Why aren't you having any? Have one before they're all gone. They're so good. You really should try them. So-n-so made them his/herself. Just have one. " Jim is among the worst of these candy pusher culprits, but he is definitely not alone. Honestly, I think the sweet tooth clan does it to ease their own guilt. Not that I'm judging their sugary indulgences... Hell no! Set me down next to a plate of fancy cheeses, olives n' crusty bread and you'll see who is the Christmas Carb Queen!
So, I guess my final answer to this question is my favourite snack or treat is not chocolate, but cheese. Cheese balls. Seven layer taco dip. Feta-stuffed olives. Dill havarti. Jalapeno jack. Fig and toasted almond brie. Ooooh! Lay it all on me, baby! I love me some cheese!
Oh, I really like spinach dip with water chestnuts in a sour dough bread bowl too.
Childhood Gift - I've been told that the toy I was most excited to receive was a Cookie Monster doll when I was three. I have very vague memories of this gift, but those memories might only be lasting impressions from the faded photo where I'm holding it up in front of my face, shaking. (Yeah, I used to shake like an epileptic when I got excited. Someone once asked my parents if I was having a seizure. Nope. I was just happy.)
But the one childhood gift that I actually do remember, and not just by photograph, was a dollhouse my Grandma Krieger made for my sister n' I. Actually, my Grandpa Krieger might've been the one to actually build it, but it's been so long, I can't remember for sure. I think he must have... What I do recall for certain is that Grandma let Amy n' I choose the colours for the exterior of the house and for each room. I don't know if we knew that the doll house was for us (I don't think we did), but I remember being excited because Grandma had hundreds of colours of paint to choose from, and WE got to choose! Yes-sir-ee, very exciting stuff, I tell you.
Anyhow, when we eventually received the house at Christmas time, we were given all these little boxes of fancy antique-style doll furniture to go with it. I specifically remember there being a set of real China plates - only doll size, and a black velour chaise lounge. It was pretty awesome.
Adulthood Gift - Does our engagement count? My ring wasn't exactly a Christmas gift, but Jim proposed after our Christmas party, so I think it's close enough. Plus, neither of us wanted a showy Christmas-morning-everyone-watching-as-I-unwrapped-the-last-gift-under-the-tree sort of engagement. Blegh. (No offense to those who may have got engaged that way.) We had discussed that if and when we got engaged, we wanted to keep it just between the two of us. (Much like our wedding...) So, Jim proposing two weeks before Christmas was a perfect gift in itself. :)
Best Santa Claus - My dad. And might I add, jeez louise, were we ever a bunch of stupid kids, because we fell for it every single year. Ha.
Y'see, every year after Christmas Eve service, Jodie's dad (Uncle Dave) and my dad would have to "attend a meeting" at the church. So the rest of us would all head back to Grandpa n' Grandma Junop's house, and lo n' behold, who would soon come knocking on the door with gifts for all the kids? But Santa Claus, of course!
The three of us (Amy, Jodie n' I) would get all dizzy with excitement, as we each took a turn on Santa's knee, where he'd then tell us things that only we would know - which further verified that he was always watching. I recall Santa once telling me that when I was born, my dad exclaimed, "Oh no! It's a girl!" I remember being all amazed, and turning to the adults in the room saying, "Yes! YES! That is what daddy said!" (My dad use to jokingly tell me that from time to time... I guess I believed him - and Santa too.)
Anyway, Santa would give us each a present that we were allowed to open right away. (I still maintain the tradition of opening one small gift on Christmas Eve to this day.) Then shortly after he left, Dad n' Uncle David would show up. And just like the Polkaroo, they missed him again!
When I got older, I eventually learned that our fathers did in fact have a meeting at the church after Christmas Eve service. As it turns out, members of the official board (or at least some kind volunteers) would dress up as Santa and go around visiting the homes of Sunday School students -- which I have to say is a pretty awesome thing to do. While Christmas Eve is still my favourite over Christmas Day, it's never been the same without the excitement of a visit from the man in red himself. We were pretty lucky kids.
Memorable Moment - Well, I think I just shared my most memorable moment. A visit from Santa every Christmas Eve is pretty awesome. I also think that Christmas Eve was the only time I actually didn't mind going to church. The sermon wasn't preachy. There was a pretty tree, and lots of decorations and candles. And the choir would always sing O Holy Night. That was probably the best part of all. :)
Outdoor Activity - Umm... I hibernate during the winter. I enjoy sledding and tubing, although I rarely ever, ever go. And I would love to build a snowman again someday but there's either A) not enough snow or B) it isn't sticky enough. Someday...
Best 12 Days? - I don't know, I guess it depends on what those nine pipers have in their pipes? Ha. Okay, seriously (because y'know, this is such a serious decision!) I guess either two turtle doves because they sound sorta cute, or fiiiiiiiiive gooooooooold riiiiiiiiiings, because who wouldn't like fiiiiiiiiive gooooooood riiiiiiiiiings? But make mine white gold please.
Tree? - Absolutely. I can't wait to get back to Kelowna to put it up!!
Cards - Usually. But not this year. I don't think we'll even have our Christmas shopping done on time. Thank goodness for the magic of the internet - eCards, it is! (And save a tree in the process.)
Lights? - We don't bother putting lights outside, but we do string 'em around our apartment. And even though our tree is pre-lit, we string some extra coloured ones around it as well. Can never have too many pretty, sparkly lights!
White? - White what? A white Christmas? Maybe? It sounds like Kelowna has gotten some snow. Although it's as green as green can be here in Maple Ridge.
Fruitcake? - Um. No thanks. It's not the worst thing in the world, but not my favourite either. I received one for Christmas last year (or maybe that was the year before?) and it's still sitting in our freezer. I usually find it too dry n' meh. But I was at a Christmas craft show a few weeks back, and tried a sample of some there, and man, it was actually super melt in your mouth moist and really quite flavourful n' good. I think that's probably how fruitcake is supposed to taste. But I didn't want to spend any money on a loaf when I have an aging frost-bitten loaf at home.
Okay, so that only took me all friggin' afternoon. Guess I won't be going out to get Jim's gift today after all. But I'm still feeling blegh, so I probably wouldn't have anyway, even if I didn't blog the day away.
Story: How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Love that one, even when I'm reading it to someone in July. (Note to self - hide Christmas books until December.)
ReplyDeleteI like O Holy Night too.
Such a lovely, lovely post... :)
ReplyDeleteI have so much I want to say, but instead I will shorten it to: the comment about Christmas dinners made me smile (especially the part about Uncle Neil which made me LOL), I never knew about Madonna singing about Santa Baby, nor that there actually were meetings after church on Christmas eve, we WERE lucky kids, and damn straight, that bag of candy WAS huge!
Love ya loads...
Linsey - Of course! The Grinch! Okay, that's my favourite story. I can't help but always think of the cartoon for that one...
ReplyDeleteJode - I have a very distinct memory of us sitting at the kid's table and listening to the adults talking and laughing, saying that they sounded like a bunch of gobbling turkeys. And you pointing out, "There goes Uncle Neil again, still laughing at his own jokes." *LOL*
I am pretty sure my mom told me that there was a meeting where a Santa or Santas was/were elected. But if there was only one Santa elected each year, then where was your dad the whole time, if my dad was Santa? One year we didn't join you guys at Grandpa's and came home instead, and my second-cousin Peter was our Santa that year. He smelled like liquid courage. Ha! This is what made me assume that the church must've sent our several Santas. I will have to ask one of these days and find out for sure!
Love you loads too!! xo
I love O Holy night too.
ReplyDelete