So, please come away with me to the wonderful little island of Lasqueti, a place that only 341 people call home year round and... Oh shit! Run, run, run! Dammit! It looks like we missed the first ferry. (No thanks to our confused GPS that made us late!) Perhaps a nice Blendz fruitchillo will cool our tempers as we wait two hours for the next one. Here's Jim trying not to look pissed.
Finally we catch the ferry and we're on our way! But once on the other side we have to wait over two hours before the next Island Express bus comes by. We waste some time eating lunch at a nearby pub and then catch the bus to French Creek, where we sit n' wait for about another two hours for a significantly smaller passenger ferry to take us to our final destination.
Despite our botched travelling plans, it was totally worth it... even if it felt like dusk settled in a little too quickly, due to our delayed arrival.
We still managed to enjoy a short hike to the top of a small bluff before it got too dark.
Soon after, our friends retired to their peaceful home away from home.
Every morning I would lay in bed watching hummingbirds and bald eagles (neither of which are in this picture). It really was a slice of awesomeness.
Everything about the place was absolutely wonderful. Like our friends' lush gardens and the surrounding woods (which this photo simply does not do justice!)
And the small island vibe, like this neat little treat stand that runs on the honour system....
Since no treats were left out, we sufficed with handfuls of different types of wild berries instead. (Of which these are not... these bushes are 'tame' berries in the garden.)
The island is covered with pretty purple foxglove that sprouts up everywhere - and is one of the few forms of vegetation not eaten by the sheep.
Oh yes... the sheep. The feral sheep are everywhere.
And then there were our friends' sweet furry companions.
We crammed in a lot of hiking during our brief stay. One day after breakfast, we hiked to the top of Yellow Mountain.
I swear you could probably sleep on the stuff.
Later that afternoon we hiked to a nearby cove.
Along the way we played in a huge arbutus trees (my new favourite type of tree - they are so gorgeous!!)
And then we hiked up another bluff. Poor Jim didn't pack his shoes and so he was forced to do over 10 km of hiking in only socks and sandals. (I was in a rush to get out the door, and told him not to worry about grabbing them. I'm such a terrible wife!)
When we weren't hiking, I spent some quiet time overturning rocks to find small sea critters, like this little crab. (The blackish blob in the middle of the photo.)
And picking up dead things, because I'm weird like that.
I don't think we could've had a better time... unless it was longer!



Great travelogue! Looks like a perfect little corner of paradise.
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely! I think I could easily spend the whole summer there.
ReplyDeleteLookin' under rocks -- one of my favourite pastimes!
ReplyDelete