I can't believe it has been almost a month since my last post. Okay... that's a lie. I can totally believe that it's been a month.
Since I first started blogging in 2003, every couple of years I seem to go through a lull where I'll quit writing for about 6 months, and then start up someplace new and usually not tell anyone about it. So, the fact that I'm back after only a month and am blogging at the same spot is quite a victory. Really!
Anyhoo, I've been keeping very busy and am not sure where to begin. So I'm gonna separate everything into little chunks...
Movie Stuff
We've heard back from a bunch of festivals, and there has been some very exciting news, as well as some disappointments... actually, there was only one disappointment, but it's no biggie. I'm a silver lining kinda gal. Unfortunately, I can't share anything yet, since none of the festivals we're in have made any public announcements. So since I hate being obnoxious and vague, let's just change the subject. I'll fill y'all in when we have something to say.
New Script Stuff
I Fell In Love With The Devil's Wife is coming along swimmingly! I decided to scrap the 2/3's of the draft I had written, and went back to the drawing board to create a more comprehensive treatment. (A script treatment outlines in detail what happens in the story, sort of like an extended synopsis, and can be anywhere from 10 - 40 pages long. Actually, the treatment for Inception was 80 pages in length!) I'm pretty happy with my outline, and so far everyone I've described my story to thinks it sounds pretty cool. I'm just gonna finish polishing up my treatment and character bios and then I'll tackle the actual script.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, the title for this screenplay came to me in a dream before we began working on DE, over 5 years ago. In my dream, this story had made me a big success. Now as I write, the ideas are just pouring out of me, which is SUCH an exciting feeling! I really do believe that this script is going to do great things for my writing career. It is my hope that if I can sell it, it'll give me the recognition and success I need to continue writing my own stuff and finally step out of the copywriting realm. I can't wait to get it done and start pitching it... which is probably why I haven't been blogging. Whenever I feel like writing, I want to devote my time to Devil's Wife.
I have also started fleshing out another screenplay called Orbs. Unlike Devil's Wife, which will be a quirky rom-com, Orbs is shaping up to be a supernatural mystery thriller. It's pretty dark, actually. On days I'm not inspired to work on DW, I shift my attention to Orbs, so I at least feel like I'm being productive. Our money runs out very soon, and so we need to make good use of our time before we return to the 9 - 5, or at least start taking on more consistent contract work (which is our preference).
In the meantime, Jim is working on his own untitled story. Ideally he would like to be a director, not a writer, but it's important that he continues creating his own opportunities, until people are banging down his door to direct. Jim would obviously prefer that we write together since we make such a great team (plus, two heads are always better than one), but since I've been making such good headway on DW, he doesn't want to hijack my progress. And in case you're wondering why Jim isn't writing DW with me, it's because quirky romantic comedies not the sort of genre he wants to pursue as a director - although he feels that I have a really great story idea.
Artsy Stuff
I am so happy with my latest painting, Suzie's Power. It is so groovy, just like Suzie. And yet, even though it is still intended for her, like many of my paintings, I find that it is a colourful reflection of my soul at this point in my life.
In fact, the other day as I was painting on the balcony, I was meditating about this wonderful life of mine, and on how we all have the power to create the lives that we want for ourselves if we trust our instincts, keep things in a positive perspective, and take action! Whenever I imagine all the possibilities of the places I would like to take my life as a writer, an artist, and an activist, it makes me feel like I'm about to float away. Excited for the future, I became completely overwhelmed by butterflies, and that's when I realized that was exactly what I was painting - a psychedelic butterfly. (I mean, I always knew it was a butterfly, but it just really fit the moment.)
With this realization, I retitled Suzie's Power to Butterflies in My Belly. Then while sharing this moment of inspiration with my Aunt Holly, she suggested the title "Belly Dancers" instead, which I like even more. So yes, Belly Dancers it is.
Summer Stuff
We had my friends Steph n' Steve visit us for a week, which made for a really nice staycation for Jim n' I. We did all kinds of touristy things like visiting the Capilano Suspension Bridge and going whale watching in Victoria. Someday I'll post pictures... maybe.
Jim n' I also made a weekend trek to Sorrento to visit his folks n' friends, and celebrate Grandma's 81st b-day. We played half a round of golf with our friend Andy n' his two little girls, and I didn't suck as much as I expected. We also spent a little time lounging on the beach of Jim's youth, which he said felt rather surreal.
Sorrento is such a gorgeous area. It's funny that so many of us stick our noses up to our childhood communities, always anxious to leave and start our lives elsewhere, only to recognize the charm and beauty that reveals itself through distance and time. Personally speaking, I know that I have a greater appreciation for Pembroke than I had back when I couldn't wait "to move away, far, far away from (t)here & be happy wherever life takes me", as quoted in my grad year book. Unfortunately, with our festival schedule as it is (oops, sorry... I promised I wouldn't talk about that until I knew more...) I don't think I'll have time to make a Pemmy-town visit this year as I had hoped. :( Some of these festivals are only days apart, and have us flying from one end of the country to the other. Sheesh...
However, we are hoping to make some time for a quick Kelowna visit later this month. We'll have to wait n' see. The Sorrento road trip was sort of a last minute thing, and I imagine if we do head to the Okanagan, it'll be a "let's go tomorrow!" type of trip too. We really have to watch our finances right now. Like I was saying, our funds be dryin' up soon and festival travelling ain't cheap. :P (Although it sounds like most festivals might cover Jim's flight n' possibly his hotel for a night, which should alleviate things a lil'.)
No More Stuff
Hmm... what else, what else? Maybe I'll end this post for now. I think I've covered most things. And I'll try to make an effort to blog at least once a week from here on in.
Hope you're all having a swell summer!
Summer? Oh ya, I guess that's been going on. Going by in a blur to me.
ReplyDeletePartly because 2 weeks in July had an abcessed tooth to deal with. Fun. That's a different kind of pain, lol. And it started on the hottest day of the year.
Luckily the next morning went on anti-biotics and the pain went away. Ended up getting the tooth pulled. After that was done it was August all of sudden. :)
But in June went to Toronto and saw Peter Gabriel in concert. So my summer hasn't been a complete waste.
Yikes! That sounds terrible.
ReplyDeleteI saw Peter Gabriel in 2002 (I think...) He puts on an amazing show.
So exciting to hear everything that is going on! Been waiting anxiously for the updates, but am trying to be patient about asking too many questions (as I am sure you are getting a ton.) Looking forward to the Devil's Wife; have been intrigued every since you first described it. Another hit in the making!
ReplyDeleteIf you guys make it to K-town and need a place to stay, our spare bedrooms are generally always available. (Just give me a few hours' notice to make the house "company ready" LOL!)
Kay, off to read your next post!
Thanks for the kind offer, M! ;) It'd be nice to see you.
ReplyDeleteAnd yeah, we're anxious to share our news, and buy our friggin' flight tickets already!! All the festivals have given us "tentative" dates for now. But usually when I fly somewhere I like to find a sale and buy my tickets a least two months in advance. August is ticking down quickly and nothing is confirmed. Gah! I'm trying not to panic. :P