Pardon my language, but...
F*ck it!!
I'm so sick of waiting for these festivals to update their stupid websites n' make "official" what we've known for weeks. I guess they like to dole out news gradually?
Anyway, I figure since this blog technically isn't public then... *insert day-time talk show "My Teenage Daughter is Out of Control" sass* I DO WHAT I WANT! *strutting back n' forth in an ill-fitting belly shirt, middle fingers waving* DEY DON'T OWN ME!
So here it is, our unofficial festival announcement! (Hmm... Somehow I always imagined I'd start this post more gracefully... ;)
First, let's pull the Toronto Band-aid, since that's the one people keep asking about. Everyone who saw the film was super duper confident we'd get in, and rather shocked when we didn't. Even though a few months ago we were warned of some potential politics that might help or hinder our chances (that I won't get into), we didn't actually expect a 'no'.
The good news is, our producer was given a sincere apology (ie: a phone call - not a form letter) - not that they owed us one - and was told that they discussed DE a lot internally and considered it right until the very end. The reason they didn't put it in was because they felt that "the *removed - spoiler* scene was too literal and sentimental for a festival film."
Fair enough. I'll be the first to admit that it's totally sentimental. But it's also very beautiful. I'd even go as far to say that it's one of my favourite moments in the movie! So, we have no regrets there. :)
TC took notes, and provided us with their feedback, which was as follows:
* They liked the ambiguity leading to the climax.
* Knew *removed - spoiler* early, but didn't seem to care - which is positive as it shows they enjoyed the film.
* They praised everyone's performance, except one actor's.
* Felt it was a strong first feature for Jim.
* Nice tonal execution.
Jim n' I were actually very pleased to hear all this, because ultimately they could've just said, "We didn't think it was a strong film." End of story. But instead it sounds like they genuinely enjoyed it, which is good.
However, given their "too sentimental" reasoning for not including it, now everyone in the know is quite convinced that the perceived politics played a part. (Holy alliteration, Pac Man!) And to be honest, if I were in the programmer's shoes, I hate to say it, but I probably would've played the same card.
All that being said, our film has been accepted into a number of other festivals where it won't get as lost in the hubbub as it would've in Toronto. While all the details have yet to be ironed out, it looks like we have a very exciting month ahead.
Our premiere will be at Cinefest in Sudbury on Sept. 18th. They have offered us a gala, which I believe is sponsored by CTV. I think only Jim n' I will be attending this festival. Eep!
On Sept. 22nd, we head to Calgary, where we have been invited to open CIFF!! This is a pretty big honour and sounds like it'll be quite the "world class event". (Or so they tell us. ;) Everyone, including D&B, will be in attendance for this one. I was checking out pics on FB from their opening gala last year and it kinda freaks me out with all the media and whatnot. As a writer, I'd think I should be able to by-pass all that nonsense and just duck inside the theater. But since I'll be walking the red carpet alongside Jim, there's probably a good chance I'll end up on camera at some point. Ugh. I think I might be sick...
From there, we head to Edmonton on the 25th for EIFF. I'm not sure if we have a gala there or not? This is what I mean about "unofficial" announcement. Some dates n' details might be subject to change. But as I discussed with Jim (who was opposed to me sharing any of this news with all three of you) I feel like we're stringing people along by not saying anything. So as I said above, f*ck it. I figure the people who bother to read this blog deserve to get some details before things are officially announced. Why else would you come here?
Anyway, after Edmonton comes Vancouver. No date set for that yet, and no idea if we'll have a gala either. Apparently our distributer doesn't want to have a gala in Van for whatever reason, and has the power to veto it if they offer us one. (Just like he vetoed us attending the Atlantic festival in Halifax, because he didn't like their conditions.) It'd be a shame not to have a gala in Van, since that's where most of our actors n' crew are from. We don't understand his logic.... but what are ya gonna do?
So there you go! Now you're as in the loop as we are. ;) Apparently we've submitted/are submitting to some other festivals that happen later on, but we won't know about those ones for quite a while.
When the time finally comes, I will officially announce our festival news on FB with any relevant links n' whatnot. Until then, for the sake of Jim's sanity, let's just pretend this blog post never happened....
Have a great weekend!
Oh thank goodness Mel, I was going to implode if I didn't hear something soon lol! I can now ease off on my (hourly) Googling for news on DE, I promise not to breathe a word of it on FB until you make your "official" announcement :)
ReplyDeleteI kind of figured TIFF had sailed -- have been watching their website closely and it seemed they had finished announcing the films. Sorry to hear it, but so glad you got into some of the others. Sounds fantastically exciting -- maybe a road trip for some of us to come to the gala in Calgary? Not sure how that all works but I am sure you will fill in your adoring audience when the time is right! :)
Thanks again for the updates, and congrats on the festival news! At least you are able to get back home for a visit amidst all the craziness, which is a wonderful bonus.
I would tell you to pass along our congrats to Jim, but of course, I know nothing...
:o)
Ha. Yeah, I felt I had to share *something*! The wait has been so effing painful. Not to mention our new trailer, poster, FB page, etc. was all due over three weeks ago!! For Pete's sake, we would've had a DE page on FB in June if we were allowed. I'm normally a patient person, but this process has really been a test for us.
ReplyDeleteAnyhow, I wasn't too heart-broken over TIFF. I still get to go to Ontario, so that's all that really matters to me! ;) I'm actually more bummed for Jim's friend Kirk whose lovely little film, "Hit 'n Strum" was also rejected. He took 2.5 years off work and self-financed it - and then didn't get in!! Ugh. He needs TIFF far more than us, as we already have distribution. I'm worried that his film might be one of the loveliest little movies no one ever sees. :o/ Anyway, check it out on FB and listen to his song "Hands with the Devil". So good!! (Jim also designed the poster for 'em.)
We would love to see familiar faces in Calgary! However, you might have better chances with a road trip in the other direction and join us in Van. We recently asked about CIFF putting a few gala tickets on hold for our friends 'n family, but it sounds like the event might be by invite only (ie: film folk n' sponsors) since it's the big opener. :P We'll letcha know as we find out more.
BTW, I passed along your comments to Jim, who says thank you. He knew that I posted this, but it was heavily debated beforehand. ;)
yay yay yay! Glad you broke the rules and posted this. I checked out TIFF's site and figured something didn't go down as planned but hey. Calgary sounds amazing and I am totally going to be googling gossip sites for red carpet photos of you two!! WOooo!
ReplyDeleteYou'll have to let us know about Van because that would be super cool. Any chance we'll see it in Kelowna????
I'll definitely letcha know as soon as I find out. Jim received an invite to a VIFF media conference next week, so I'm sure the festival dates will be announced around that time. (Sept. 6th.)
ReplyDeleteNot sure about Kelowna yet, mainly because they're focusing on festivals that happen before our theatrical release (which will possibly be in Feb.) and the Okanagan Film Festival isn't until after that. However, I can't see why it wouldn't be included?!
Since you have made clear that there are only 3 of us - I figured I better comment or everyone will know I've been slacking - so here goes...THAT'S FREAKIN AWESOME!!!! (except for TIFF, but to use one of your phrases, "F&*k 'em" - they don't deserve you. Calgary and Edmonton are on my list of places I can travel easily - family and friends in both places that I owe visits to anyway. I just have to pass it by Jenny, which may take some sweet talking. I so want to be behind the velvet rope in Calgary shouting "Jim and Melodie Cliffe - we love you! You guys rock" right in the middle of an interview -just to embarrass you.
ReplyDeleteI checked the CIFF website and don't see any way to buy a ticket to your film. Is the opening gala film kept a secret. The tickets for opening gala are priced but listed as "not for sale" - GAAK! Is it VIPs only? I will be a very inconsolable person if so. Edmonton may be the better choice for me anyway - or even Vancouver when you announce that - either way - this is FREAKIN AWESOME! thanks for spilling the beans - I am calling the Capital News right now ;)
Nick
Very exciting!
ReplyDeleteI agree Nick -- you, at the very least, should be permitted to attend. I mean, as the *ahem* star of the movie, it would be in poor form to have a gala without you there. 0_0
ReplyDeleteOk, I've read this post a few times, and everytime I LOL over your imitation of what must be the result from watching too much Maury.
ReplyDeleteOf course, I'm totally psyched over your film festival appearances, especially Sudbury :), but just thought I should let you know that you totally kill me... *LOL*
Nick ~ Ha. If you came to Calgary, I'm sure people will be screaming, "We love you, Crazy Nick!!" Just be sure to wear your robe. ;) But yeah, it sounds like Calgary might be by invite only, but we're still waiting for more details. However, Edmonton just announced it's schedule this afternoon. We're playing on Saturday, Sept. 24th at 2:15 p.m. So, not exactly a fancy gala, like Calgary, but hey... at least it's open to the public! You can probably order tickets right now. Good luck sweet-talkin' Jenny! She may need to come and beat all your groupies away. ;)
ReplyDeleteJodie ~ Actually, I drew my inspiration from the classics - Jerry Springer and Sally Jessie Raphael. Now, if we were talkin' paternity tests, Maury would be my go-to man! *LOL*