As I alluded to in an earlier post, I was recently contacted by an impressive sounding so-n'-so for help with a Telefilm application. I met with the fella a little over a week ago and he pitched me the following deal:
His company publishes over 100 different independent graphic novels. I can pick from any of the novels, and write a treatment for one or two of them. If Telefilm funds the treatment, I would get paid retroactively for the work. Then, I would move onto the first draft, which we would submit to Telefilm for further financing, and basically go down the same road as we did for DE - write, submit for the next phase of funding, write s'more, submit for the phase after that, etc. They have already had 6 feature films made based on their comics, so they do have some credibility.
The risk is that if Telefilm doesn't pick up the treatment, I wouldn't get paid for the work. (Then again, the guy was a highly energetic, fast talker, so I might be wrong about that assumption. But that is what I took from the conversation - I write a treatment, if we get funding, I get paid.) Since the treatment is based on existing material, it'd really only be a couple hours of my time wasted if it didn't get picked up. No biggie. However, if the treatment did get picked up, those couple hours worth of work could earn me between five to ten thousand dollars. Not too shabby! (Especially for a gal who might be slinging drinks in another month or two.)
I decided it was worth the risk, and so I perused their online catalog. I selected two graphic novels that sounded very interesting, and then two back-ups just in case they didn't want to produce the first two. One of the back-ups I selected was a comic he pointed out to me during the meeting. It's a smart-ass story about a dragon. Upon looking through the rest of their repertoire, I thought it might have some potential compared to a lot of the others, even though it really wasn't my first pick.
Anyway, the dude got back to me yesterday with online access codes to only the dragon comic - not my first two picks as I had hoped.
I read the comic.
It's terrible.
Then again, I'm not a 14 year old boy.
Every character is the same note. The plot is paper thin. The jokes are soooo effing lame. The humour strives to be no-holds-barred, but the social commentary misses the mark. Then again, I'm willing to admit that maybe it's just me. I'm a 32 year old woman, not a cynical teenager. I get bored when every frame that isn't blood n' guts is making a sad attempt to poke fun at race, gender, celebrities, music, Americans, the French, homosexuals, religion, the government, serial killers, and even starving children in Africa. Seriously...
I mean, I can totally handle edgy humour if it makes a point. I love All In The Family. That show had some brilliant social commentary. But these jokes... ugh. They're just cheap shots. Then again, young boys aren't exactly known for their sophisticated humour, so who am I to judge? Whatever floats yer boat. I'm not the target audience, which tells me that perhaps I shouldn't be the writer.
Not to mention, in the end, I really don't see this thing getting funded. Nor do I want to invest my time writing it, even if it does.
Am I crazy?
I mean, at some point in our lives, we have all had shit to do at our day jobs that we weren't happy about. But ya gotta pay the bills, and so you suck it up and do it. If I want to work in the film industry, maybe I have to accept some things as "just a job".... or not. This is my life and my career, and while I can accept that not everything I ever write will be gold, what matters most is that I LIKE what I'm writing. And I don't like this.
So! Now I gotta email this dude back and somehow find the words to tell him that I'm just not connecting with the material, and ask if I can do something else. (Maybe I should send him the link to this post? Ha!) The fact that he ignored my first two preferences tells me that there's a chance I might be closing the door on this opportunity. And whose to say that I'll even like those other two comics after reading them either?
I do believe that there are much better opportunities ahead for me. Like getting my own material produced, or being offered a writing gig on something I really enjoy. After all, we haven't even hit the festival circuit yet, and our film won't be released to theaters until at least February. We're going to be in the spotlight for quite a while, so why run off the stage before the curtain even rises?
I would agree with your decision to pass on it, Mel; if it is something that just feels wrong, there is likely no way you can do it justice. And even if you do manage to find a way to make it 'speak' (you are a supremely talented writer, after all) and it does get picked up, you don't want to cringe every time you saw your name associated with it.
ReplyDeleteYou have done some incredible work to be proud of, both for your career and your spirit. I suspect you would be much happier with a job 'slinging drinks' where you can interact with people and share some smiles, than to pocket cash that leaves you feeling slightly icky.
You never know -- this publisher dude might not mind if you tell him that you honestly don't think you are the right person for the material. It shows respect for his time, and perhaps there is a much better fit in one of your other choices. I would suspect if he is anywhere near skilled at his job, he knows the best work is produced when a person truly connects with it.
And if it doesn't work out, then it might be for a good reason. I mean, if you and Jim had accepted the first offer to have DE produced, he never would have had the chance to direct it. And NOW look where you are! :o)
'Tis true. I would be MUCH happier waitressing than writing something I really didn't like. I appreciate your last statement, and completely agree. Some things are worth holding out for.
ReplyDeleteI just emailed him and said that unfortunately I don't think I'm really the right audience for it, and so I probably wouldn't be the best person to write it. I asked if it was possible to see one of the other comics I suggested.
I guess I'll have to wait n' see what happens. Either way, it's all good. :)
Better yet would be if he could give you copies/access to 20 or 30 and let you pick...better value for him, and better odds of you finding something worth pursuing. I could see investing the time to do the reading/selecting, but there's no way should invest time writing unless you see potential in the story to begin with.
ReplyDeleteI agree with all that has been said. This doesn't sound like the ticket to further your career anyway. If it is as bad as you describe you, you may not even WANT your name associated with it. Good rule of thumb for me is to imagine yourself in your preferred future - looking back on your career - would you be proud of that work? You have good intuition Mel, stick with it.
ReplyDeleteThat's a really good suggestion, Jer! I don't know why he didn't do that in the first place. It's so hard to form an opinion on something based solely on a two or three sentence synopsis.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Nick. I agree. :)