I'm not the napping type, but lately I've really felt like I could use one. And when I don't feel like napping, I've had tons of excess energy to burn off.
Wait a minute....
Reverse that. I'm sure it's these random bursts of energy that are draining me. Too much excitement must make me sleepy.
I just want to get back to Pemmytown n' see my friends and family. The visit will be crazy short, but I didn't want to leave any sooner, as I don't want to miss our 3rd anniversary. (Not that we'll be doing anything huge. But I'd still like to be with my Jim.)
I sure hope that it won't feel like world's colliding at the Sudbury gala. I am anticipating an interesting brew of family, friends, and classmates from college and elementary school - some of whom will be travelling over 5 hours to attend. Yeesh... I hope they don't bring their tomatoes!
I also learned of some good news last week. Apparently Cinefest is willing to pay my way to and from the festival! Whoo! However, because I didn't expect this, I've already booked my flight into Ottawa. I was just waiting to see what flight Jim would be on before I bought my return ticket. So our distributer is gonna see if they'll reimburse me for my 'to' flight. Besides, flying into Ottawa is one or two hundred dollars cheaper than flying into Sudbury. Technically, I'm saving them money!;)
Calgary, on the other hand, will not be paying for my flight. So I'm in limbo right now waiting to find out which flight Jim will be on. Hopefully I can get on the same one or another that leaves around the same time.
Speaking of Calgary, I really want to get that red carpet b.s. over with. I'm kinda dreading it. I'm sure I'm probably manifesting it in my mind for it to be a bigger deal that it actually is... but I know that because I'll be walking alongside Jim, I'm gonna get stuck in an awkward position where I'm either standing on the sideline waiting for him as he has his picture taken and answers questions, or being dragged into those pictures along with him. Why can't I just slink in the back door? :(
Anyway, maybe it won't be so bad... I'm just basing all my knowledge on what photos n' nonsense I can dredge up from the opening gala last year.
As for Vancouver, tomorrow Jim'll be attending a media conference for that festival. It sounds like it's an all day event, where the films are announced and the filmmakers are expected to network with the media - do interviews, have their photos taken, n' stuff like that. When he got the invite, Jim was bothered that I wasn't asked to attend. Meanwhile, I was laughing, so thankful not to be in his shoes!
Jim is really sweet and wants to involve me in everything. Even though he directed this beast, he sees us as partners all the way. He asked me to tag along to the event sans-invite (umm... no thanks), or else wait for him in a nearby coffee shop. I really appreciate Jim's attitude of fairness, but in all honestly, I have zero interest in speaking with the media - or even hanging around in the background like an uninvited loser. I do not crave the spotlight at all. (Not to say that Jim "craves" it per se, but he certainly doesn't dread it.) Nor do I want to hang around a coffee shop, wasting my day drinking six dollar lattes, when I can waste my time for free here at home. ;)
I do hope his day goes really well though, and that he doesn't get tongue-tied or anything. I look forward to hearing all about it when he gets home.
In the meantime, maybe I'll sit at the computer clicking refresh all day, as I wait for our friggin' professional trailer to be done. It was due WEEKS ago! Actually, early last week we were promised it by Friday. Today was Tuesday and there's still nothing.
During last week's conference call between Jim, our producer and CDN distributer, I overheard them venting that this crappy so-called trailer is still online. Our CDN distributer sounded pretty urgent that it never should've been labeled as a trailer in the first place, and that she wanted the UK sales team to have it removed immediately! I have to admit, it felt good to know that our pissed off "overreaction" was justified, even though it reignited our pissed-off'd-ness, hearing others emphasize that it should NOT be online.
Apparently the plan is to have it removed as soon as the new one is produced... which, as I said, is taking for.ev.er. Meanwhile, the current p.o.s. is slowly racking up hits. Ah well... I suppose I haven't helped the cause to hide it, because after the friggin' thing ended up on FB, I finally caved and shared it with a few friends n' family members myself. :P
Oh, new trailer... why do you test our patience, so?!
Anyway, I'm being beckoned by my garcon, so I'll end this restless ramble now.
G'night!
Alright... after reading this post aloud and talking with Jim, I guess I'm not quite so weirded out about having to walk the red carpet with him. I think it'll be okay. Hopefully. As long no pictures of me get published looking like a gross freak, as I did in that Event Night Out photo from the Okanagan film festival a few years back. :P
ReplyDeleteYou'll be awesome. How can you not be? :)
ReplyDeleteHa. Thanks for the vote of confidence. ;)
ReplyDeleteAnd please remember that you are not an accessory -- you helped bring this story to life, and not in an insignificant way -- you deserve that public recognition whether you want it or not!
ReplyDelete:)
Aw, thanks. I really appreciate that. :) I guess because writers usually aren't even invited to festivals and are often relegated as third class behind the actors and directors/producers, my mind automatically assumes that "lesser than" role which adds to my awkwardness.
ReplyDeleteI watched a documentary last year about screenwriters, and two respected writers shared a story about how they had to fight with security to gain access into their own premiere. Once they got in, one of the actresses commented how nice it was that they were allowed to attend the party. :P