Saturday, November 7, 2009

Roses and Thorns Nov. 1 - 7

Trick or treat. Smell my feet. Give me something good to eat.
Not too big. Not too small. Just the size of Montreal.

Gawd, I don't know where the hell that came from, but it just popped into my head only moments ago. I swear I haven't heard that saying since I was a little kid. Actually, just the last part popped into my head. Thank goodness for Google, I was able to find out what the first half was. Kind of a timely memory, even if it is a week late.

Okay, so yeah, getting back on topic here, these are my roses n' thorns of the week.

Rose
After another three listens, I've decided that the new Tegan and Sara album, Sainthood, is a rose. I could go into detail about which songs I like best, but I'm not that intimately familiar with it yet, and am therefore unable to remember the songs and their names by heart. Besides, what does it matter which songs I like best? Listen to the album yourself and make up your own mind, if you're feeling so inclined.

Thorn
I finished reading A Complicated Kindness this week. I know what you're thinking, "Melodie, that is a critically-acclaimed, absolutely wonderful book! Why the hell would you label it as a thorn?!" Simple. Read that first line again -- "I finished reading..."  I'm sorry it's done. I tried to take my time reading it, only a chapter or two a night, just so I could savour it longer, but as I approached those final few chapters, I could pace myself no more. I whipped through the those pages in a single sitting. What a beautifully touching and yet heart-wrenching story. I definitely recommend it!

Rose
My dad and I have started emailing back and forth this week. This is a big rose because:

A. My dad is usually never online. But he emailed me to let me know that he's using his email addy again, in case I ever felt like emailing him. I don't think he's bothered with his email address in about two or three years.

B. We don't talk much. Not because we don't like each other or anything... it's just that usually when I call home, I get mom on the phone. Mom also is the one who does all the emailing.

So yeah, it's kinda nice.

Thorn
My new boots. Actually, that's not exactly the problem... the truth is, I really do like my new boots, and I'll love them even more once I finally work them in and they stop giving me damn blisters.

But the thing I don't like is the current 80's throw-back trend of wearing your boots over your pants. I chuckled when the trend returned a year or two ago, mainly because we had been watching Three's Company on DVD, and I thought it was funny to see Chrissy's look come back in style. What's next? Janet's bright rouge and blue eyeshadow? Whoops... I may have spoke too soon on that blue eyeshadow part.

Anyhow, since the look doesn't seem to be fading away anytime soon, when I got these new boots this week, I decided to give it a go...  and I'm sorry, but I think it just looks effing stupid. Or at least it does on me. I feel like a friggin' idiot.

Maybe I just need to accompany the boot-over-pants look with the other 80's throw-back trend of tight jeans or stretch pants - that way the material won't bunch up around my knees like my regular pants do whenever I try to pull it off. I think that's the problem.

However, I don't know if I'm a big fan of skinny jeans either? I've tried them on, and I think they make me look like I have chicken legs or something. I don't know...  Maybe they'd look better with an oversized sweater, a chunky belt, and a pair of florescent leg-warmers.  :P

Oh well... never say never. I might eventually warm up to the boot-over-pants style and find a way to pull it off yet. I mean, I doubt it... but you never know.

Rose
I realize this will sound redundant, but we got our outline done (again) this week, so that's a pretty big rose. Well, it's likely not done-done, as we're expecting some notes from our producers on Monday. But at least it's close to being done-done. Then we can start writing again, and finally get paid the other 75% of our development money. That would be nice....

Thorn
Not having water all day on Tuesday was a definite thorn. And I'm sure if Emmy or Luna were writing this post, they'd complain that being locked in the spare bedroom was a real thorn for them too. Although after we let them out, later on that evening we found them both lying on the floor in there. Jim says their return to their captive environment suggests that they're suffering from the Helsinki syndrome. I guess it wasn't such torture for them to be stuffed in there after all? Personally, I do find our spare bedroom to be the coziest room in our house. It has a good vibe. (When it's clean and not being used as a miscellaneous dumping ground, that is...)

Rose
Okay, since it sounds like word has already gotten out, (or at least I'm sure it will be by the time anyone bothers reading this post...) I think it's safe for me to say that two of our former co-workers were hired at new jobs this week. We are absolutely thrilled to pieces for them! Way to go Nick n' Vlad!!! :)

Thorn
Jim's cold hands!! Jezuz! He just came over to me right now to show me how cold they were. Let me tell you, they're damn cold! (Umm... can you tell I'm running low on thorns?)

Rose
We finally got our hands on a copy of Okanagan Life Magazine. Jim n' I have been looking for it since mid-Sept. since he was told that he'd be in the October issue. Wouldn't you know, the darn thing didn't hit new stands until this week? Actually, they still don't have it across the street at IGA or Paragon Pharmacy. Anyhoo, we picked up a copy at Chapters. Or, should I say, Vlad picked us up a copy and then embarrassed Jim by pointing him out to the cashier and asking if she wanted his autograph. Ha ha.

We also thought it was funny that they used the same pose (out of the 100 pictures taken) that Jim n' I joked they would use on the cover. (Jim had no idea he'd be on the cover either, btw.) Looks like the joke is on us... or well, should I say, on him. ;)

Thorn
I'm all outta thorns. So, how about an extra rose...

Rose
Tonight's episode of South Park making fun of inconsiderate, unnecessarily loud motorcycle riders. Too funny and sooo true.

7 comments:

  1. With thorns like that, your life is sounding pretty sweet.

    Agreed on the new Tegan and Sara -- sounds like goodness to me. You going to the show? I'm tempted.

    Did I twist your arm to read A Complicated Kindness? I also read it after the initial buzz had died down somewhat, and LOVED it. Did the small-church-town scenes ring true from your coming of age? She grew up in one of the towns within 20 miles of where my parents grew up -- and the depictions are at times scarily accurate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I think these roses n' thorns are a good indicator as to how good life is. I really have nothing worthwhile to complain about, except maybe the odd blister or bunched up jeans. Both Jim n' I feel pretty darn blessed.

    When and where is the next T & S show? I think I'd definitely like to go. My only beef with the last one was that I got stuck behind a poofy head (which always seems to be my luck), who then stood up and danced through the whole thing, so Jim n' I spent the show standing in the aisle just so we could see. Oh well... at least if we know what to expect, it won't be so annoying.

    Yes, you twisted my arm when you listed A Complicated Kindness as one of your favourite books. I really loved it and can predict repeat readings in my future. That's very interesting about your parents growing up near the book's location!

    In my personal experience, the depiction of the small town church definitely rang true in several ways, expect for the shunnings, of course. My family belonged (belongs) to the United Church... considerably more tolerant than Mennonites (or a lot of other denominations, actually). Although I still recall the controversy in the 1980's, followed by a mass exodus of the narrow-minded congregation, when the United Church of Canada permitted homosexuals the right to preach. Very progressive on the United Church's part - unfortunately many church members did not agree. My parents decided to stay with the church and lost a couple friends as a result.

    Then again, I sometimes have to wonder how much things have changed? Here we are in 2009, and in many areas, gays still don't have the right to marry. You know our grandchildren - or even our children - are going to look back at this time with the same disbelief as we have when it comes to the history of racial segregation.

    Ah... but that's a tangent for another day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you got a copy of OLM -- Richard stopped by Bridges to drop one off, but instead of leaving one with the front desk as I suggested, he tried to give it to Jim. Unfortunately, he picked the wrong day. Heard the story yesterday as I got into the car to find it sitting on the passenger seat! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh funny! Well, we definitely appreciate the effort. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm laughing at your first two lines. Natasha started singing, "...[something I don't understand] I don't care! I'll pull down your underwear!" I am praying she didn't sing it to any of our neighbours on Halloween but I would not put it past her.

    Where are Nick and Vlad working?? That was fast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yeah, I remember that one!! "Trick or treat. Smell my feet. Give me something good to eat. If you don't, I don't care. I'll pull down your underwear!" *LOL* Natasha's so cute, I'm sure your neighbours would have given her extra candy if she sang that. ;)

    Nick got a job with Human eSources. They're flying him down to Denver (I think?) shortly to meet face to face and make it all official, and from then on they're going to let him work from home.

    As for Vlad, he starts at CP in two weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Human eSources?!! Awesome. Good for him. Bert is smart to grab him when he got the chance!!!!

    ReplyDelete