Remember back in the day, the fun fascination we all had with Polaroid cameras? Wasn't it just super cool to take a picture and then "instantly" see the results in just under 5 minutes?
You'd shake it. (Even though the makers of Polaroid film later issued a press release when Outkast's Hey Ya song hit the charts, insisting that Polaroid photos do not need to be shaken in order to develop). And then you'd sit there and stare with anticipation as the ghostly image slowly took shape. And if the process was taking too long, you'd shake it again.
Alas, despite it's retro charm, Polaroid film was finally laid to rest just over a year ago.
But just because you can't find Polaroid film in stores, doesn't mean that you can't enjoy the same softly blurred, over-exposed, oddly-tinted fun.
Check out Poladroid ! Just download the application and then drag n' drop your fav photos into the poladroid camera on your desktop. It's too easy... and too much fun (if you happen to have some extra time on your hands, like I do...)
Here are a few samples...
My nephew David, looking very mischievous outside the Chinchilla cage. Love that sickly green hue.
Then there's his sister Josie, copping some attitude in the Christmas threads we sent her.
Now, we can't forget the other side of the family ~ Shayla n' Libby! With Libby posing as Princess Leah, this photo could almost be mistaken from one taken during Polaroid's heyday. Of course, I'm sure costumes weren't as nice back then. I seem to recall wearing a snowsuit under a cheap plastic dress, along with a tight mask that would grow moist with the condensation from my breath, as I trudged my way from house to house. Ah yes, not all retro memories are quite so endearing.
Alright, then there's Heather n' I pretending to be men, who are pretending to be women. We painted each other's faces after being inspired by a make-up challenge on an episode of RuPaul's briefly-lived reality drag queen show. Oh, you shush! Admit it... you're just jealous that we have the most fun. ;)
Jim pretending to enjoy his cheese fondue when we were in Switzerland. It was gross! But I'll tell you what's not gross... this photo! I don't know what it is about cheese fondue that just looks so 70's... especially when the pic is a Polaroid.
Okay, and just two more...
How about our cab driver in San Diego. I mean, as we all know SD is huge, right? And yet, of all the crazy odds, we got the same cabbie twice! She was so interesting and unique that I had to take her picture. I think her face belongs on a Polaroid.
Last one... just a simple display of fireworks. (Because I think I've tried enough faces for today.)
How fun! How can you not be tempted to try a photo or two of your own? It's like a distant second from owning a real Polaroid camera.
Sure, Polaroid film might be retired, but as long as there's Poladroid, the legend of "fast" developing, softly blurred, over-exposed, oddly-tinted photos will forever live on in our hearts and our online albums.







Too fun Mel! I remember my first 'polaroid' camera -- it was this hidious orange colour, was bigger than my head and you had to crank it to get the photos out. And the photos sucked -- I have a few still (not sure why I kept them) and you can barely make out any details. We have come such a long way since then, thank goodness!
ReplyDeleteI still have one or two polaroids lurking in a shoebox under the bed. ;) We sure have come a long way! I can't even begin to imagine where we'll be in another ten years. We'll probably have photos that move, like watching a video. Speaking of video, I hear that 3D TV's and Blurays will be coming out this Spring. Crazy.
ReplyDelete