In order to make more space for advertisers, television programs have gradually gotten shorter, and show tunes have been virtually eliminated.
Looking up old theme songs on YouTube is a guilty pleasure of mine, so I thought I'd share a handful of 'em with you this evening.
Family Ties
I wanted to do this one at karaoke when I was in Ottawa, but unfortunately they couldn't find the disc. Sha-la-la-laaaa....
Perfect Strangers
For some reason I always found this theme song so inspiring as a little kid. Ha! I can't believe I just admitted that. How embarrassing...
WKRP In Cincinnati
I can't listen to this one without fighting the urge to sing along.
Cheers
Same with this one.
Welcome Back Kotter
This always makes me think of summer holidays when I use to watch it in reruns during lazy afternoons.
All In The Family
I sing this one every night at 11 and 11:30. And I do a very convincing Edith if I do say so myself! ;)
Mr. Belvedere
Do you remember this one? Jim doesn't.
MASH
My babysitter always watched MASH and I guess that's how I eventually got into it. As I may have mentioned in previous posts, I wanted to grow up to be Hot Lips Hoolahan and hang out with Hawkeye, Radar n' the gang.
I knew that the MASH theme song was called "Suicide is Painless", but I believe this is the first time I actually listened to all the lyrics.
Growing Pains
Ah... this one always reminds me of how Kirk Cameron's smile (and apparently that permed mullet) use to melt my wee tween heart.
Night Court
I use to love this show, although I'm sure that majority of their jokes flew right over my head.
Pee-Wee's Playhouse
And finally, my all-time favourite Saturday morning program. I was so pissed when they took it off the air right after "the incident". I understood what Paul Reubens did... but I really didn't care! I totally felt ripped off when they canceled his show. Almost twenty years later and I still heart Pee-Wee.
Okay, I could do this all night, so I better quit.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteGrowing Pains-related from a recent edition of Sportscentre. Alan Thicke was in the crowd and it let to an easy joke. :)
ReplyDeleteSportscentre
On a sad note, "Boner's" body was found in Stanley Park in Vancouver just a few months ago. Poor guy committed suicide. :o/
ReplyDelete