But I can't help but wonder what everyone else in this office is doing?
I see all kinds of filing folders stacked on desks and people rearranging furniture. Each person is making their temporary office their own with lamps, accessories, and even assistants. New faces join us every day.
Speaking of new faces....
I felt bad last night when I was chatting with our front desk Production Assistant, and discovered that she has to wait until everyone has left the floor before she can leave... and it was almost 8:30! She pointed over my shoulder to a gate that she needs to pull across the stairway to lock up. I apologized for keeping her here so late, and tried to make conversation while I waited for Jim to grab his things. I asked her what's the longest she's ever been stuck at a production office for - fully expecting her to say 2 a.m. or something ridiculous. "This is my first day," she replied. Ack! Poor girl! She hid it well, but I know that I'd sure as hell would be bitter if I were waiting to go home for dinner, and had to sit at my desk, bored outta my skull, just surfing the net until everyone finally left. Nothing like a late night on the first day to break a new person in...
Then again, aside from my intimate relationship with Donovan, I guess you could say that I'm new at this office too. In a way, we're all new here, even though it doesn't really feel like it. Maybe it's because we all know our jobs so well and what we're here to do.
Today I am here to do a lil' heart surgery. Or at least that's how it feels like working on the script, knowing that the words I change will have a direct impact on almost everyone else's job -- locations, transport, props, wardrobe, cinematographer, etc. I've never been so aware of this before as I come to understand how others do their jobs and how literally they understand each n' every word on the page.
So on that note, I better get back at it.
Oh, but first, just another side note... I recently discovered that the first floor of our office is a warehouse for the TV show Fringe. I've never watched the show, but I've heard that they film it in one of these buildings. Nifty! Too bad we're about ten years too late for X-Files, then I might actually be excited and try n' sneak a peek. ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment