I'm not a big fan of fighty flicks. Punchin' n' bleedin' just isn't my thing. But despite my lack o' love for "boy movies", The Fighter has been getting too many rave reviews to ignore. Plus, I'm a huge sucker for true stories. So anyway, I agreed to check it out -- and I'm really glad I did. I highly recommend it! I found the story gripping and the characters are really something else. Despite being a total loser, you can't help but somehow care for Christian Bale's character as the crack head brother. And that mother and those sisters... wow. I wonder how they feel about how they were depicted in the film?
I never would've watched the movie based on the trailer, but I'm gonna include it here anyway.
Then later that night, Jim n' I were looking up old music videos and I couldn't help laughing out loud at the comparison between Mark Walberg serious actor and Marky Mark 90's rap star. Sooo cheesy! Not that Marky Mark is the world's most talented actor, but he's definitely done well for himself since departing from the Funky Bunch.
And since I'm here making movie recommendations, we also recently rented Exit Through the Gift Shop, which was also very, very entertaining. I've seen it on the video store shelves for a while now, and heard that it was getting great reviews, even though I had no idea what the documentary was about. It definitely takes some intriguing twists n' turns, and while the whole thing is interesting, the last 1/4 really makes a fascinating statement on the art world - if the documentary is in fact true.... There are rumours that it might be the ultimate hoax, and that the mysterious street artist/filmmaker Banksy might actually be Andre the character who stars in the doc. I guess we'll find out at Oscar time... or maybe not?
I'm including the trailer here, but it really doesn't tell you anything about the film. You'll just have to see it for yourself. It's a great watch for a quiet Sunday morning. :)
Will wait to watch that movie. Since I watched more than a few of Micky's fights I view it differently. He's most famous for his 3 fights against Arturo Gatti. And it gets barely a footnote in the movie. Be like "Miracle" if it skipped the USSR/USA hockey game.
ReplyDeleteOh, and the title he wins in the movie..... ummm it wasn't important at all. WBU is one of the organizations that even the boxers don't take seriously. So much so that Ward never even defended the title after he won it. Leave it to Hollywood to pretend that was the apex of his career.
The movie is actually more about his family than his boxing career. I guess you'd have to see it.
ReplyDeleteHeard good reviews, one said the one who played the Mom was TOO over the top. Still liked the movie but that she distracted.
ReplyDeleteOh, and an NFL podcast of all things talked Oscars. And they said that Melissa Leo sent Oscar voters pictures of herself..... uh oh. Apparently that is very bad form.
Oh really!? Ha. Probably because she looks so rough in the film, she wanted to show 'em how she cleaned up well. ;) I saw some recent pictures of the sisters, and you'd never recognize them either.
ReplyDelete