Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Anvil! The Story of Anvil

Sometimes I feel like writing in my blog, but I have nothing worth writing about. Meanwhile, today I could tell you all about how I have nothing going on this week - no contract work, no script stuff - and it feels very weird to be dipping my toes into such a lull and wondering, "What am I going to do with my day?" (For the record, I'll probably clean, write and paint.)

I could also talk about our lovely Thanksgiving dinner that I got the opportunity to co-host.

Or, I could even write about the 10K run on Sunday and how that went (and how cold it was!)

But no.... I'm gonna leave that stuff for later.

Instead, today I want to tell you about the best documentary I've seen in a very long time. It's called "Anvil! The Story of Anvil".

Ray rented it this weekend, but before returning it to the video store, last night he asked if he could share it with us and watch it again.

Now, since it's October, Jim n' I had already rented a few scary movies to get in a Halloweeny mood, (it's our Oct. tradition), so we weren't quite in the mood for a documentary -- but I'm so glad we agreed to give it a chance. I honestly think I want to buy it, just so I can enjoy it a few more times and listen to the commentary.

Really, it's *that* good it demands repeat viewings! It even has a 98% rating on Rotten Tomatoes and 8.2 on IMDB.

But enough gushing about how great it is. Let me tell you what the movie is actually about.

In case you haven't heard of it yet, the documentary explores the rise and long, long fall of the Canadian metal band, Anvil. While they enjoyed a modest 15 minutes of fame in the early 80's, they never quite matched the success of their heavy metal peers.

The two core members of the band, Steve "Lips" Ludlow and Robb Reiner (not the one of Meathead fame), have been jamming together since they were 14 years old. Now in their 50's, the band members are still optomistic that their big break is just around the corner... despite the fact that their medieval tunes still sound like they're straight out of the early 80's.

As one critic put it, "Now THIS is Spinal Tap."

The film is a tight combination of hilarity and heartbreak. You really don't know if you should laugh or cry. I personally found myself laughing hard, followed by a heavy sigh, "Oh, those poor guys... They need a hug."

Then again, I suppose I shouldn't feel too bad for them. I mean, they did experience a moderate degree of short-lived fame, are still praised by a small handful of diehard fans, continue to occasionally rock out and travel the world, are blessed with very supportive families, and are the stars of this fabulous documentary. I think that should count for something, right? They may not be a household name like Guns and Roses or Jon Bon Jovi, but hopefully this film will bring them a little closer to kind of success they have been looking for over these last thirty years.

Anyhow, watch the trailer below, then rent the movie - seriously. IMHO, it's definitely a must-see.

No comments:

Post a Comment