Wednesday, February 3, 2010

I Love You Round 6

My gosh, I don't think anyone will ever be able to fully appreciate how much I love my new paintbrush - round size 6. I've never thought to buy a rounded-bristled paintbrush before - mine have always been flat-topped. But now, NOW I have discovered the heavenly beauty of a rounded brush. The brush that was made for me.

Most of my paintings have a very swirly style. While I generally have an idea of the subject matter I want to paint, the backgrounds tend to create themselves. By allowing myself the freedom to paint whatever comes to me, in some ways it feels like an impression of my soul coloured on canvas. (But more on that later.)

Needless to say, a rounded brush is extremely conducive for painting these soul swirls. Last night I didn't get around to taking a bubble bath or watching a movie like I had intended. Instead, I just basked in the simple pleasure of painting big lemony yellow swirls with my round 6.

Okay, now like I was saying about painting one's soul on canvas... well, that's the only way I can think of to describe it. As soon as brush meets board, I find that all it wants to do is dance out in every direction, leaving behind a trail of colourful curls that swirl and spin until there's not an inch of white to be seen. It's like I have no control. This is what my hand insists on doing and so I let it be. It's as though it's not moved by my mind's intention. Instead it is a result of my soul's free will.

Sounds crazy, doesn't it?

But I kinda like it...

I've had this little pseudo-theory for quite some time since first noticing this unusual habit o' mine. Then a few years ago, I was browsing the website for one of my top five favourite artists, Alex Grey, (my other top five include Josephine Wall, Salvador Dali, Van Gogh  and Carravagio), and I came across one of his paintings that seemed to perfectly capture that exact sensation.

The painting is aptly titled, "Painting".


He has another one called "Artist's Hand", which I feel goes on to further illustrate what I'm talking about.


Wild, huh?

If you happen to check out his website, be sure to take a look at his incredible self-portraits. Especially the striking difference between ages 16 and 17.  Ha. I can't help but draw my own conclusions about what Alex might've been up to during that year.

Anyhow, I think he's a brilliant, brilliant artist. But, y'know... that's just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment