Sunday, April 18, 2010

Roses and Thorns April 10 - 16: Part Two

Here are my last half dozen roses for the week...

6. Flexisnake.

In my last R n' T post, I mentioned how my tub was all clogged up. It seems that my hair has a cursed growth cycle. Because it grows close to an inch a month, (I'm already in desperate need of a root touch-up again), it compensates by shedding excessively. I lose a lot of hair! It's almost frightening.

Because of this, whenever I shower, I always try to place all my stray hairs on the edge of the tub to throw them out afterwards, but there's always some that slip through and inevitably clog the drain. I had been bathing in Jim's bathroom for the past week or two, because the slow drainage in mine had become so annoying.

Anyhoo, I saw a commercial the other week for this "flexisnake" product. Basically it's a wire with velcro wrapped around the end. A simply genius solution. We found some at the "As Seen On TV" store for 2/$10. And wow - it worked wonders far faster and better than that toxic Draino crap.

So yes, hooray! My tub drains again!

7. Painting.

I know this was a rose last week, but who said I couldn't do repeats? Again, I'm still really liking the way this magnolia painting is turning out.

I'm already thinking about the next one. I think I want to do something more experimental with mixed media. Maybe do a paper mache crust and then paint over it. I'd like to create more texture.

Actually, what I'm really dying to try is encaustic painting. It's when artists mix their paint with heated beeswax, which creates a very thick plastered-on style. I've never done it before, but I think it looks amazing. Couple that thick texture with some really intense, bold colours... Oh wow, that would be so cool!

8. Urban Harvest's strawberries.

Another small blessing, but well worth counting. Urban Harvest had organic strawberries on this week's delivery list, however they came with a warning. It said that they are highly perishable and that some may arrive moldy.  But if you let them know within the first 48 hours, they'll credit your next order.

Not exactly a tempting sales pitch, if you ask me....

I considered swapping the strawberries for a different fruit, because I didn't feel like the hassle of ordering strawberries, only to find a pint of blueberries in my bin. If I want moldy berries, I can just go across the street to the IGA where they're always guaranteed to be bruised or moldy... and those aren't even the organic ones.

Growing up, at least once or twice every summer, I would pick strawberries with my Grandpa Junop at Bowden's Gardens. Now, maybe it's because I tend to romanticize the past, tasting memories with a berry-flavoured spoon, but it really feels like it's been almost as long since I've had some good non-cardboardy strawberries. If the ones at the IGA aren't moldy, they're bland.

So anyhow, I guess this is my very long-winded way of saying that I took my chances and kept the strawberries on my order, fully expecting them to be gross. What a pleasant surprise to find not a single one bruised or moldy. They all tasted delicious with our white wine at bedtime and with homemade whole wheat waffles the next morning! Yum!

I'm really lovin' Urban Harvest lately.

9. This gorgeous weather we're having.

While I'm certainly nervous about the fire season we're gonna have on our hands this summer, this warm, sunny weather sure is wonderful, isn't it?

10. LUSH bath stuff.


As a little reward for getting the script all done and handed off to the casting director, I bought myself two solid bubble bath bars (good for about two baths each), and a bath bomb. I love LUSH. When it comes to that store, I'm a total sucker. *blink*

Those sales girls can get me to buy anything. They'll hold out different products saying, "Oh, smell this! Oooh and smell that!" And I do. And I buy. It's shameful, really. It's the one store in the mall where the sensible me surrenders at the door, allowing the impulsive me to completely indulge and pamper herself. I did stop short from getting the edible sugar scrub for exfoliating your lips, but I don't know if I'll be able to control myself next time.

11. Surprises for others.

While I bought bath stuff, Jim's little reward to himself was JFK on bluray. It was only $15 - an awesome deal. He was toying with the idea of also getting The Doors on bluray, which was just fifteen bucks as well; however, Jim really needed to buy some new running shoes, so he decided to show a little willpower with his allowance for now -- much like I did with the edible sugar lip scrub. ;)

So because I'm a nice wife, when Jim wasn't looking, I ran up to the till and bought The Doors for him. After we left the store, he asked if he should go back and get it so we could have a "Doors Night". (Which is a story for another time that I'll probably never share. Ha.) I told him to save his money. Then later on, as we ran a few errands, Jim mentioned it twice more wondering aloud if he should just go back and grab it. It was super cheap after all. Again, I discouraged him, obviously giddy with anticipation.

When we discussed our plans for the evening, I finally pulled it out. Jim was happily surprised. And I was just happy that I managed to pull it off without him noticing.

12. Freedom.

I'm finally on holidays and I don't know what to do with myself. It feels really weird... but in a great way.

Okay, and that's it for another week!

No comments:

Post a Comment