Monday, April 26, 2010

Roses and Thorns April 17 - 23

I really should be writing these thoughts down throughout the week so I can remember whenever I get around to writing this post.

Let's see....

Rose
"Love, Loss and What I Wore", written and illustrated by Ilene Beckerman, and thoughtfully given to me by my cousin-in-law Kerry.  I set the last two chapters of "Nice Recovery" aside, and poured through the charming little book in just two sittings. I really enjoyed it.  (Thanks again, Kerry!)

Jim questioned whether it was actually a true story, and if an old woman could really remember the different clothes she wore throughout her life. But I'm just gonna chalk that up to Jim being a boy. I assume clothing isn't something boys give as much thought to.

I couldn't help but think about a few items from my own childhood, and how fun it would be to write and illustrate a similar book someday for my own posterity. I'd include a description of those items in this post, but the more I think about it, the longer the list of clothing gets... so perhaps I'll make a mental note to write that post another day.

Thorn
The travelling pain which has been exploring all the various regions across my shoulders. At the risk of sounding like an old woman, I'll describe this odd inexplicable pain in detail for you, because I'm sure you're just dying to know. ;)

It started while sitting in the theater last weekend, when I felt it march across my shoulders and scale up the back of my neck. (And no, we weren't sitting in the front row, or anything like that.)

The next day it returned, leaving shoulders and neck still really sore.

The day after that, it decided to pay a visit to the top right side of my back, focusing on only the one shoulder.

The the day after that, it finally left.... only to return the following day, where it stomped around the lower left side of my shoulder blade.

It's finally gone now, but really... what the hell is up with that?! How can pain move around like a transient, and what the heck did I do to deserve it?

Rose
Not that it was the best movie I've ever seen, but I enjoyed "Alice in Wonderland" in 3D. I had been looking forward to it for some time, and while I've liked other Burton/Depp movies better, it was good enough. Although, it did leave me with a hankering to watch one of those 'better' Burton/Depp flicks, so the following night we popped in "Ed Wood". Love that movie!



Thorn
Right after getting our tires changed, we headed to the recycling depot to drop off a bunch of garbage. (Or, well recyclables....) Anyhow, on our way there, this woman behind us was waving and pointing at the back of our car. We thought it might be our taillights, so we pulled over and tested them out, but didn't see anything. We drove another two blocks to the depot, and did a closer inspection. Well, I don't know how I missed it the first time, but it became pretty obvious that air was quickly escaping from our back tire, which was now almost completely flat.

F*ck our car!!

Honest to gawd, since September this friggin' Hyundai has just been the absolute bane of our existence. Jim n' I chalk it up to the fact that since everything else going on in our lives is so perfect, we have to have some sort of ongoing trouble just to keep us in check. But I have to say, you'd be impressed at how casually we handled the situation. We've truly become old pros at dealing with b.s. car problems. As long as we're not in an accident, it's only money. (Money we don't have... but whatevah.)

Anyhow, long story short, apparently if you change your tires every year, if they're not kept on the rims, the process can stretch out some air balance thing. Because of this, we had to replace not one, but two of our tires. Two hours and three hundred and fifty dollars later, we have a new set of back tires... Good grief.

Rose
Keeping in tune with spending money, our coffers will finally be topped up again real soon. On Friday we signed the three documents that the lawyers have been finagling with over these last two months. (Ridiculous!!) Therefore, we're expecting a cheque to be issued and in the mail sometime this week. Thank goodness! I don't know if our overdraft can handle the hit of another month.

(A note of interest, each time I wrote "month" in the above paragraph, I accidentally wrote "money" instead. Ha.)

Thorn
Boredom. During this week off, while I was overflowing with all kinds of creative freedom, I think there was an equal measure of total boredom and not knowing what to do with myself.

I'm a little concerned that the next few weeks might feel the same until contracts are written up and signed for me to write this book. Apparently, if I write anything pre-contract, a second contract has to be written to encompass ownership of the content already created. Jeez... talk about paperwork hell!

But because I'm itching to get started, I think I might just start writing and not tell anyone. I can pretend that I wrote everything after the contracts have been signed. Given how slow these lawyers move, I don't want to wait until June or July before I can officially start writing anything. Especially if the goal is to publish the book around the same time the movie is released.

I don't know... we'll see how this week plays out. I might take another week off, but then I think I gotta do something more productive. Cutting up magazines, spring cleaning, and cooking fancy meals is fun n' all... but I think two weeks of the 'good life' is my limit.  I have too much I want to achieve over this next year, and I don't want stupid legalese paperwork to stand in my way.

Rose
Of course, the flip side of that coin is that despite the occasional bouts of boredom, I did enjoy a very relaxing week off. Even though I experienced a few brief moments of "I should be working!!" anxiety, overall it was quite nice.  It felt like a very slow, long week too.

I finished my magnolia painting. I tried making some headway on my collage, but my gawd, it is taking me forever! I did some journaling and poetry writing. I got outside and enjoyed the warm weather.

Yeah.... it was a pretty good week.

Thorn
Not having Jim around on Thursday night and all of Friday felt weird. I shouldn't call it a thorn, because it was actually nice to have some time to myself... but it just took some getting use to.

First of all, I hate cooking for one, so I didn't make much to eat. I tried filling my time doing artsy things, but it really was no different than what I do when Jim is home. I felt like I should be taking advantage of this time... but by doing what?  I was at a loss.

So I started watching Jimi Hendrix at the Isle of Wight on DVD, which then turned into me looking up Dick Cavett interviews on YouTube, which then turned into looking up music on Playlist.com and singing along (which is something I obviously don't do when Jim is home.) Ha. I really think I must be the most boring person in the world.

Saturday and Sunday were a different story, only because I started getting used to being alone, but I'll save those for next week's R&T post. ;)

Rose
Catching up. I did a lot of phone calling and video conferencing last week. Or at least more than usual. It was fun to finally touch base with a few friends n' family. I plan on calling a few more people this week as well.

Oh yeah, and congrats to my friends Amanda n' Mike who had a little brother for Nathan -- Gabriel Edward Stuart. I like that name Gabriel. You don't hear that too often... 'cept for my mom's cat.

Thorn
Umm... I don't know? I don't really have any more thorns.... well, except for all that garbage people toss in Brandt's Creek that I pulled out on Earth Day. Some people really suck.

Okay, and that's it for now! Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment