Well, first and foremost, the best news I have to share is that there won't be any further reader reports. So awesome!
I'm still trying to shake this feeling of nervous tension that's hanging over me, like there's more work to be done. It feels pretty surreal that we've pretty much come to the end of our rewrites. I mean, there'll probably be tweaks done in pre-production or even during production... but structurally, the script is sound. And that feels AMAZING!
I'm still trying to shake this feeling of nervous tension that's hanging over me, like there's more work to be done. It feels pretty surreal that we've pretty much come to the end of our rewrites. I mean, there'll probably be tweaks done in pre-production or even during production... but structurally, the script is sound. And that feels AMAZING!
Thorn
I was a real klutz the other week. First, I was putting away some towels and when closing the linen closet, I pinched my palm where the door folds. It left a little red pinch-line on my hand for a few days.
The following day, Jim n' I decided to do "morning us" a favour by unloading the dishwasher before we went to bed. I was wearing shorts at the time -- which is relevant in just a moment -- and as I put some measuring cups in the corner cupboard, Jim put away the cutlery beside me. Well, I guess when I spun around, I was too close to the open drawer, and I scratched/cut the top of my thigh on the corner of it.
The following day, Jim n' I decided to do "morning us" a favour by unloading the dishwasher before we went to bed. I was wearing shorts at the time -- which is relevant in just a moment -- and as I put some measuring cups in the corner cupboard, Jim put away the cutlery beside me. Well, I guess when I spun around, I was too close to the open drawer, and I scratched/cut the top of my thigh on the corner of it.
Lesson learned. No more housework for me!
Rose
Two crows are building a nest in the willow tree outside our living room window. Call it a simple pleasure, but I have gotten a great deal of joy just from watching them fly back n' forth with little twigs and beaks full of grass. Sometimes they'll pull twigs right off of neighbouring trees, instead of gathering them from the ground, which I thought was interesting.
Also, one day instead of flying directly to their nest, they'd fly up past our window and make a pit-stop on the roof, and then from there they'd fly over to their tree. I don't know what that was all about, but watching them was definitely a nice distraction from writing...
Also, one day instead of flying directly to their nest, they'd fly up past our window and make a pit-stop on the roof, and then from there they'd fly over to their tree. I don't know what that was all about, but watching them was definitely a nice distraction from writing...
Their nest has gotten really big over the last two weeks. I don't think I've ever seen a crow's nest before, just little birds' nests.
Anyhow, I'm sure this is probably pretty boring news to most of you... but it was a rose for me, because I obviously haven't been getting out much lately.
Thorn
Nit-pickin' lawyers. We still haven't been paid yet, as the lawyers are still tweaking the language in the contract about who knows what. Our producers promise that it shouldn't be much longer... but seriously... we haven't had a pay cheque in... umm... almost two months? Or maybe a month n' a half? I don't know. Feels like frickin' forever.
I guess there's comfort in knowing that we will get paid a big lump sum, eventually. So if it means using our line of credit to float us through this sticky time, then so be it. We can pay it off once the cheque arrives. But still... this is pretty lame.
I guess there's comfort in knowing that we will get paid a big lump sum, eventually. So if it means using our line of credit to float us through this sticky time, then so be it. We can pay it off once the cheque arrives. But still... this is pretty lame.
Rose
Despite our financial woes, as a special treat to myself for getting this latest draft done, I picked up a copy of "Nice Recovery" by Susan Juby. I had been looking forward to it, and then completely forgot about it when it finally came out a month or two ago.
My friend Laura turned me on to Juby's work last year, when she gave me a copy of "Alice, I Think" for my 30th birthday. Yes, it's teen lit, but it's funny as hell. If you have a sense of humour, you'd probably enjoy it too.
My friend Laura turned me on to Juby's work last year, when she gave me a copy of "Alice, I Think" for my 30th birthday. Yes, it's teen lit, but it's funny as hell. If you have a sense of humour, you'd probably enjoy it too.
Then she let me borrow her copy of the follow-up book, "Miss Smithers", which also follows the adventures of Alice. Another fun read. (BTW Laura, I promise to finally return Miss Smithers when I see you on Wednesday.)
Since reading Nice Recovery, which is the author's memoir about being a teen addict, you can see where she pulled a lot of her inspiration from for the quirky character of Alice. What's also kinda fun is that Susan Juby is a fellow BC'er, so it was cool to read about her summer living with relatives around Shuswap Lake and in Salmon Arm, which were Jim's stomping grounds during that same era. (Juby is three years older than him.) In the book she also talks about living in both Toronto and Vancouver, so I was familiar with many of the street names and locations in both places as well. It really brings the story to life in a new way.
Thorn
My bathtub keeps getting clogged. Not like completely backed up, but it drains slower than molasses. I try my best to stop my hair from getting swallowed down the drain, but it doesn't matter. I have too much hair and I just seem to lose a lot of it in the shower.
I hate using those super potent environmentally unfriendly toxic draino products, but I've had no choice. And now, it has gotten to a point where those don't even help anymore.
I hate using those super potent environmentally unfriendly toxic draino products, but I've had no choice. And now, it has gotten to a point where those don't even help anymore.
I was thinking that perhaps I should call a plumber, but in case you missed it, we're not exactly rich at the moment. Plus, that's only a one-time solution. The drain will just be clogged again a couple months from now. Although I saw a new product on TV called the snake (or something like that...) that can unclog drains. I might see if they have it at the As Seen On TV store, or maybe at Home Hardware or one of those places. After all, I think this is probably going to be an ongoing problem as long as I have long hair. I figure it might be nice to have a permanent solution.
Rose
Finally with some free time on our hands, I've started a new painting of a magnolia. The canvas is small and round, so I've made some excellent headway in just a short amount of time. It's the perfect size. I think I only want to paint small, round canvases from now on.
I thought it'd be cool to do a series of 40 similar paintings, each with a solid black background, so the colours of the various flowers would really pop. Of course, I realize that saying I'm going to do a series of 40 flower paintings is absolutely ridiculous. I'd be lucky if I could produce even five before wanting to jump to a different theme.
I thought it'd be cool to do a series of 40 similar paintings, each with a solid black background, so the colours of the various flowers would really pop. Of course, I realize that saying I'm going to do a series of 40 flower paintings is absolutely ridiculous. I'd be lucky if I could produce even five before wanting to jump to a different theme.
So far I really like this one. I'm thinking I might keep it instead of give it away as I usually do. I just don't know where to put it. Maybe if I did 8 more, I could have a nice set of 9, and hang them above our bed.
Anyhow... just thinking out loud here....
Thorn
Cat acne. *shudder* It actually sounds a lot more disgusting than it looks, but for some reason even just saying it gives me the willies. Basically it looks like black pepper dandruff that flakes under a cat's chin.
Our cat Emmy has had it twice before in years past. Usually we just wash his chin once with this aloe/tea tree pet shampoo and that clears it up right away. However, this time the black flaky area is bigger than usual, about the size of a loonie, and it's not going away. Blegh.
Jim spoke to a vet who recommended some kind of fluorescent pink acne solution. So we've started washing his chinny-chin-chin with that every second day.
Our cat Emmy has had it twice before in years past. Usually we just wash his chin once with this aloe/tea tree pet shampoo and that clears it up right away. However, this time the black flaky area is bigger than usual, about the size of a loonie, and it's not going away. Blegh.
Jim spoke to a vet who recommended some kind of fluorescent pink acne solution. So we've started washing his chinny-chin-chin with that every second day.
Thank goodness he's a sweet non-scratchy/bitey cat, although it's still a two man job. Jim holds him down and kisses his little head, and I scrub his chin with the solution. As soon as Jim lets go, he runs away, until I give him a couple treats and then all is well with the world once more.
Poor lil' Bubba...
Rose
I got the cutest letter from my niece Josie last week. Much like myself when I was her age, she's totally fascinated with all things macabre or mysterious, such as ghosts, skeletons, and in this case, Ogopogos. So Joey dictated a letter for my mom to write, asking if I believed in the Ogopogo or not, whether I thought he was nice or not, and if I could send her more information about him.
Beneath the letter she drew a picture of Emmy n' Luna and an Ogopogo. She also made an Ogopogo out of construction paper, and along his side he has two hearts. One says "You" and the other said "Me". Such a creative little sweet pea.
Here's a pic taken last year of Josie with her Ogopogos that my parents bought for her during one of their visits to Kelowna.
Beneath the letter she drew a picture of Emmy n' Luna and an Ogopogo. She also made an Ogopogo out of construction paper, and along his side he has two hearts. One says "You" and the other said "Me". Such a creative little sweet pea.
Here's a pic taken last year of Josie with her Ogopogos that my parents bought for her during one of their visits to Kelowna.
Thorn
Our salt n' pepper shaker is the grindy kind, that if you twist it one way and squeeze the handle, it'll give you salt. If you flip the handle around and squeeze, it'll produce pepper.
Well, last week it broke.
Normally this wouldn't be a big deal, except we only have full peppercorns and Himalayan rock salt on hand... both of which need to be ground up. So lately I've been using my mortar and pestle to crush up our salt and pepper. I feel like I'm a pioneer.
Okay, and that's it for another week... or two.
Our salt n' pepper shaker is the grindy kind, that if you twist it one way and squeeze the handle, it'll give you salt. If you flip the handle around and squeeze, it'll produce pepper.
Well, last week it broke.
Normally this wouldn't be a big deal, except we only have full peppercorns and Himalayan rock salt on hand... both of which need to be ground up. So lately I've been using my mortar and pestle to crush up our salt and pepper. I feel like I'm a pioneer.
Okay, and that's it for another week... or two.

No comments:
Post a Comment