Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Links ~ Causes n' Such

I didn't really know what to call this section of my links list. They're mostly causes I support, but I added the "N' Such" as sort of a catch all.

Here they are...

Click To Give - I'm sure you're all well aware of this site. And if you're not, you should be. It was always one of my favourites, because you can help a bunch of great causes with just a few quick clicks. Charities include hunger, breast cancer, child health, literacy, rainforest and animal rescue. A variety of sponsors support each cause, and 100% of their advertising fees go to the site's charitable partners.

For instance, to date the Hunger site has had over 300 million visitors who have given more than 671 million cups of staple foods, funded by their sponsors and distributed to those in need by Mercy Corps, Feeding America, and Millenium Promise.

BCSPCA - My favourite local charity. I will often visit this site just to look at the animals who are up for adoption. :) Not that I want another pet -- deux chats are enough in a no-pet building -- I just like looking at their pictures and sending them love. When we got married, our registry encouraged people to donate to BCSPCA Pawsitive Gifts program where you can feed a litter of kittens, cover otter care, support their emergency response, or choose from a ton of other nifty options.

Farm Sanctuary - Oh, how I love to read the little stories about the animals Farm Sanctuary rescues. They always make you feel all warm n' fuzzy inside. Vegetarian or not, there's something about reading survivor stories on animals who were either rescued or escaped from stockyards, factory farms and slaughterhouses and eventually found a home at the Farm Sanctuary. This site really gives a face to your BLT, with heartwarming bios about what-coulda-been-your-bacon's personality, new barn yard friends and life at the sanctuary.

Free Rice - Warning, this feel good site is highly addictive! It's works on a win-win premise. It's good for you as you expand your vocabulary (or choose from any other number of topics such as math, geography, art, etc.) and good for others as every correct response = 10 grains of rice, donated by the United Nations World Food Program. Over 94 billion grains of rice have been donated to date. A fun site to visit when you have a little time to kill...

Greenpeace Canada - Does this one really need any explanation?

PETA - People for the Ethnical Treatment of Animals... in case it wasn't obvious. I think most people know who PETA is. I love PETA about 95% of the time. On rare occasions, I feel that a little PETA can go a long way.

I also wasn't crazy about it when they tried to replicate this...


With this...


Corey and Susie Feldman?


Seriously? 

Corey Feldman is many things, but a musician he is not. Please see Exhibit A below. I watch it whenever I want a good hard laugh! That voice! Those moves! OMG, my cheeks and stomach muscles get a real workout with this one! The video might be old, but as unfortunately witnessed on "The Two Coreys", he hasn't improved. He still sounds like Oscar the Grouch. (Apparently this was his attempt to reinvent himself as a musician after his childhood star had fallen.)



World Parrot Trust - Did you know that nearly one-third of all parrot species are threatened in the wild? The World Parrot Trust protects parrots by conserving their natural habitat and working to stop the international trade of wild caught parrots.

A former co-worker of ours, Steve, has a passion for parrots like no other. A few years ago he was blessed with his dream job as the Canadian Director for the World Parrot Trust. Fellow feather-lovin' friend, Michelle, soon started working for the WPT in the years that followed. A handful of other people I know have also lent their talents to the WPT at one time or another, in some capacity.

WWF Canada - Another obvious one.

Okay, so that's it for Causes n' Such.

No comments:

Post a Comment