Wednesday, September 1, 2010

To Unfriend or Not To Unfriend?

As part of my purging process, I've decided to do a little cyber cleansing as well. On the weekend, I went through my FB friend list, and told myself that I would delete 25 people.

Now n' then I go through my list and purge a half dozen here or there. Only once have I been called on it. Actually, I wasn't personally called on it... Jim was.

The friend in question was an old friend and colleague of Jim's. Despite my attempts to be friendly, she was always very icy towards me (even turning her head the other way when I spoke to her!) This was just one of many reasons their friendshit (Ha! That Freudian typo was too perfect to remove!) didn't last. But since Jim isn't on FB, when she sent me a friend request as a way to spy on our goings-on, I accepted just because I didn't feel like rocking the boat. I knew she'd give Jim grief if I ignored her phony olive branch. But after about a year or so of no communication on FB, Jim mentioned that he wasn't crazy about her ability to lurk my page, so I happily eliminated his concern by deleting her. (And then I blocked her for good measure. Ha!) Sure enough, never one to pass up an opportunity for drama, only a week later J got an email asking why she was removed. Their friendshit (this time typo intended) quickly dissolved into vapour since.

Anyhow, while that so-called friendship had a toxic history requiring it's deletion, I know that realistically I could easily delete more people, if I were to get down to the simple nitty gritty of who I communicate with and who I don't. But it's hard.... Or at least it's hard for me. It took me well over an hour to weigh the pros and cons of various "friendships" to decide which faces would end up on the 25 quota chopping block. Especially when some friendships are tied to others. If I'm deleting him, then why not her? I talk to them almost as much - which is never. Maybe I just like her a little better? Maybe I'll just hang on a little longer to see the pics of her baby-to-be next month?

Then there's the question of "Will they notice?" Personally, if I'm hacked from someone's list, while I will notice my friend number drop, nine-times-outta-ten I have no idea who did the cutting until months later when I notice that I haven't read anything by so-n'-so in a while. It's a real eye opener as to whose important in your life... or at least whose statuses you enjoy reading.

For instance, I have a girl who added me a couple years ago - she was a friend of my sister's. My sis often ran with a slightly rougher crowd, but this girl stood apart from her usual crew, as she was more of a funky class act. While we only communicated briefly after I accepted her friend request, I chose not to delete her in this latest round because I find her frequent status updates delightful and fun.

Meanwhile, on the other end of the spectrum, there's a gal on my friends list who I think I only ever had one class with in grade 9.  She updates her status a million times a day, chronicling every private moment of drama going on in her life. In the last 48 hours, she's complained about everything from her phone getting cut off to her ex pawning all her stuff to how much she hates grocery shopping...

I KNOW I should delete her. I say it every morning - "Why do I keep this girl on my list?" I mean, she has 832 friends - surely she won't miss me! And yet, I'm ashamed to admit that I sometimes find catty entertainment in some of her status gems, such as when she complained about how she was sick n' tired of everyone telling her how to live her life, and how she just wanted to cut herself off from the world and become a hobbit.  Ha! I'm sure she meant a hermit... but that hobbit comment had me howling.

I am such a friggin' bitch, huh? I know that I shouldn't find amusement in this girl's obvious cries for attention (nor the step-by-step photos of her latest jail-house lookin' tat, which was performed in some dude's grungy kitchen). We are not friends. We have never been friends. So why the hell do I keep her on my list? Keeping her there for the wrong reasons says a lot more about my character as a person than it does about hers.

Okay, that's it... in honour of Delete a Friend Week, I'm deleting her... Right. Now.

*Whew* Okay... done! In all honesty, she should've been cut when I deleted the other 25, but her vague statuses were more dramatic than usual that day (believe it or not!), so it was totally like watching a train wreck. I couldn't bring myself to look away.

Anyhow, the real reason I started this post is because Jim pointed me to the following funny article on CNN. He thought it was very timely given my recent friend purge and the struggle I had in finding 25 worthy cuts.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it as much as I did. :)


To unfriend or not to unfriend: That is the Facebook question

5 comments:

  1. I just checked to make sure I survived the cuts. Knowing Jim, he'd agonize over this process if he was on Facebook -- his social radar is so much better attuned than mine.

    I also do semi-regular purges of 20-30 at a time, and the criteria is basically this: have I had any recent communication with this person, is there any likelihood of a rekindled (or new) friendship in real life, and is their use of Facebook entertaining (like you said, good updates, interesting photos, whatever)? If the answer to all three is no, they're gone...someone might slip through with two strikes if they've got one strong yes, but mostly two strikes means turf-time.

    Sometimes I fudge the likelihood of real-life friendship if I reeeeally like someone, even knowing that there's little chance...and I've noticed that cousins get extra leeway even if we have no contact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wholeheartedly agree to purging; there are only so many "he said/she said" statuses I can stomach. Sometimes I will simply choose to block the status feeds, so I can still enjoy the family photos and such but not have to feel dragged into forming an opinion about how that person feels about their ex.

    As I believe we have discussed in the past, it seems some people simply collect FB "Friends" without actually caring about having a relationship with them. Case in point, I had a Friend request from a gal who runs a gift basket service in Ontario that I used last month. The fact that a) she sought me out on FB, and b) sent a Friend Request to her personal account (not business account) had me quickly clicking the "Ignore" button. :-o

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't keep track of how many friends I have so if anyone deleted me I probably wouldn't notice. lol.

    But there was once recently which was strange. Talked back and forth with a fellow sports fan on Twitter. She sent me a message saying "I think I found you on Facebook" and if I minded adding her. Thought why not?

    Last month went to send her a message on Facebook about a sports article and noticed she wasn't there. Huh? Oh, I got deleted. ha ha. Never got angry or upset, just confused. They searched for me on Facebook then remove me a few months later? Okeydoke.

    Only bad part is she is looking to get into tv/radio. Burning any bridge in Canadian broadcasting is a bad idea. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I delete sometimes but mostly I just "hide" people who have annoying post. That way, I don't have to see it anymore but they aren't hurt by me removing them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeremy ~ That's exactly why he won't join. (Or at least one of the reasons.) He has no desire to connect with randoms from years past, nor does he want to offend anyone by clicking "ignore". ;)

    I think your process for elimination sets a perfect standard. It actually made me reconsider a few of my choices who I spared this round. And I'll admit that relatives who I have little to no contact with always seem to make the cut too. Although my mom put me in a bit of a position a few months ago with that 'friend recommend' feature. I ignored her suggestions at first, until the two relatives I don't know sent me personal invites. Awkward.

    Michelle - As we've discussed (at length ;), I agree with the drama updates. Tesa (below) had a perfect status that I once thought about stealing - "Keep your issues in the tissue box, not your status box." That says it all!

    As for your gift basket lady request - how annoying! I received a request from the lady running the 30 day meditation challenge, so I accepted it for the time-being, but I recently deleted her, since she's not actually a friend.

    Robert ~ That's interesting she'd go to the effort to find you, only to delete you shortly thereafter. :P Then again, she probably didn't consider her actions as burning a bridge, just cleaning house. ;)

    Tesa ~ Oh yeah, I never really considered that I could just hide people! Ha. Oh well... I do however hide all those stupid applications. If I didn't, my newsfeed would be reduced to a colourful list about building barns, gathering eggs and chasing cows... :P

    ReplyDelete