Even though my blog stats say that the majority of my readers come here via Facebook, I know there's a handful or two of you who don't... sooo, I'll add my shameless little plug of self-promotion here, in case you're not a FB friend and have missed it.I was called today by the Kelowna Fire Museum and Education Center, so they could let me know that my pretty pink helmet is being featured in this week's auction. Two helmets are auctioned off per week, and this is week three.
Personally, I'm uncertain how successful this auction will be, as I noticed that neither helmet up for auction last week was bid on. But ya never know... Maybe people have their eyes on certain ones and are just waiting for their turn on the auction block. Some of the other helmets are really quite beautiful.
While I titled my helmet "For the Girls", Jim refers to it as the "Lisa Simpson helmet". Ha. (I guess because LS is a bit of a feminist, and he said it looks like something she'd do.) I was almost offended for all of a nanosecond when he first called it that, but I know he's just being jokey. He's told me numerous times how cool he thinks it is that I chose to paint it this way.I did originally consider painting it with oranges n' reds, but then decided against it. I felt that the minority of female firefighters should somehow be represented. Plus, my heart just felt like painting with swirly, girly bright pinks. Although I did add a lil' red in there to make it more firefightery.
Looking at it now, I know I made the right choice. It really stands out as something special 'for the girls'. And, I have to admit that I was tickled pink today when I saw the museum doing a lil' shout-out on FB promoting "helmet number two", and encouraging folks to check it out, especially if they know a female firefighter. So that made me feel kinda nice. :)
Oooh... I really do hope that *someone* bids on it. Although bidding starts at two hundred doll hairs, and I dunno about you... but I'm not sure a lot of people have that kind of disposable cash these days. The two helmets that have been sold so far went for $200 and $225, so it doesn't look like a lot of competitive bidding wars have been going on. And the one that went for only $200 was one of my personal favourites of the bunch. I thought for sure it'd go for more.Oh well, we shall see....
Either way, I think it's a super creative idea by the Kelowna Fire Museum as a way to raise funds, and I had a lot of fun participating.
Now I can't wait to get back to my latest painting... but maybe once this final(ish) draft for our distributer is done... and my contract work... and the rest of our cleaning/purging....
I guess I shouldn't be blogging, should I?
No comments:
Post a Comment