I'm often bugging Jim to play Aimee Mann's song "Save Me" on his guitar, because I really like singing along to it. So yesterday he finally memorized the chords because he's nice like that, so now he can play it for me on demand instead of only in front of the computer. ;)
After singing the song a couple times and watching the video, we both got a hankering to pop in Magnolia again. While I think Magnolia is a brilliant tossed salad of beautiful n' bold and sad n' strange moments, I recognize that it's probably not a film that everyone will dig. So please don't rent it on my recommendation and then proclaim that it's a "cinematic root canal" a la Kevin Smith. (Although it was Oscar-nominated for best actor (Tom Cruise), best song (Save Me) and best screenplay.)
I will admit that like most people, I was totally thinking WTF? the first time I saw the frog scene. And yet, I love it because I think it's pretty brave to insert a climatic device that's so bizarre. I'm amazed that moment ever managed to survive development hell and actually got into the film. Crazy! I'd love to hear P.T. Anderson's commentary about it. Hmm... maybe I should see if there is a commentary when we resume watching the second half tonight.
Yes, second half... Did I mention that it's almost three hours long?!
So, on that note, I better go before it gets too late and it becomes a three parter.
Love that song. And I do remember really liking most of the movie--maybe I should watch it again.
ReplyDelete