Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Mr. Johnny Cash

Jim was just playing Highwayman by The Highwaymen (Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings and Kris Kristofferson) on his guitar this evening. I had never paid attention to the lyrics before, but I think it's a pretty neat song. When he was done, I had to listen to the real thing on YouTube.

Although I find listening to Johnny Cash's deep, deep voice a lot like eating potato chips. It's addictive. You can't stop at one.  So as soon as The Highwaymen faded into silence, I was craving a dose of Folsom Prison Blues. Since I YouTube'd it for myself, I thought I'd share it here.





Of course no post on Johnny Cash is complete without Hurt. I loved the original, but I think a little piece of me dies every time I listen to Cash sing it. (Ha! That makes it sound terrible, doesn't it? But maybe that's the feeling the song is supposed to elicit in a way.) Even Trent Reznor  said, "It's not my song anymore."                                                                                                                                                  




And here's the video itself. (Just ignore the first couple seconds of the "Fast Focus TV" promo screen. I couldn't embed the original.)




3 comments:

  1. I named my dog "Cash" because he is a little black dog with a hairlip! So of course when I got another I named it "June" even though he was a boy too.
    Hurt is my fav Johnny song:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never seen/heard that Reznor commentary -- thanks for the pointer. Interesting that the audio version didn't really turn his crank the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tesa ~ I LOVE that you named your dogs Cash and June (even though he was a boy. *LOL*) That's awesome.

    Jeremy ~ I had always heard that Reznor said it wasn't his song anymore, but had never seen the commentary until last night. I also thought it was interesting that Reznor initially thought it sounded "wrong". I think it really is the imagery that pulls everything together and makes it Cash's own. Haunting.

    ReplyDelete