A.J. n' Kerry invited us up for a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner this evening. It was also Abby's 4th birthday, so not only was there pumpkin pie, but also ice cream cake and cupcakes. (And as I type this, I'm playing a sneaky game of "move the cupcake" with Luna, who keeps creeping around trying to steal a lick of my strawberry icing. Brat! I guess I could just eat my cupcake now, but since I think I might burst, I wanna save it... and then slowly savour it later in front of Jim, who promptly inhaled all his desserts in one full swoop. ;)
Our wee contribution to the delicious meal was an attempt at copying Cheryl's famous Waldorf salad. But the dressing didn't taste quite right. I think hers is a bit sweeter. Maybe I needed more sugar? I'm gonna have to ask what she puts in the real thing...
Anyhow, the point of this meandering Thanksgiving post is just to drop a little line to say that I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving, and have taken the time to count your blessings today.
I wanted to end this brief post with a warm Thanksgiving image, but before I could navigate away from Hotmail to Google, I realized that I had the perfect picture staring me right in the face from my Inbox.
Every year, volunteers decorate the front of my parents' church with fruits and vegetables they have harvested from their gardens. A couple bales of hay or a few leaves are also thrown in for good measure. For as long as I can remember, my folks have always been among the handful of volunteers who help to arrange this annual display. It seems like a lotta work for just one Sunday, but I have to admit that it always looks pretty nice.
So mom just sent me a pic of this year's decorations, and I don't know if it's just me, but it looks a lot more elaborate than the barrel of apples and row of pumpkins n' gourds that I recall from childhood. Take a look....
Anyhow, Happy Thanksgiving everyone! (And have fun tidying all that up tomorrow, mom. :)

Worked Saturday and Sunday, and will be working Monday and Tuesday. I'm sure I would enjoy Thanksgiving if I wasn't working it the last 2 years. :)
ReplyDeleteAt least not many people work the entire long weekend.
Thanks for sharing Mel, that picture was great. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, you and Jim were missed at our table last night, so was Jay and Cheryl and kids. The 3 of us had a wonderful turkey dinner, pumpkin pie and thought about you bringing the dinner last year. We love you both and are so thankful for our wonderful family! Love Mom C.
ReplyDeleteSeems you're always working, Robert!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Mom C. Wish we could be there. With only the three of you, I'm sure there'll be plenty of left overs to get you through the week! ;)