Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Locations

I didn't bother going to the office the first two days, since Jim and a few others were location scouting and the cars were pretty full. My name wasn't on the email list, so I didn't feel that it was important I attend. I saw all the pictures anyway.

I think the location scouting process is really interesting. I imagine that our location guy and his crew must just go to different houses looking for places that fit the bill, and then ask people's permission if they can come in and take photos. I know I'm not the tidiest person in the world, but I'd probably ask them to return in an hour so I could do a little pride cleaning before they took photos of my unmade bed, laundry on the floor, dishes in the sink, etc. Then again, without the quick tidy, it really gives it a lived-in feel, so why not? And maybe some people are so excited to have a film crew interested in filming their humble abode that they open their doors right away, just in case they leave and don't come back.

Anyhow, even though I didn't get to check out some of these places in person, it was super neat just looking at some of the pictures. One house was absolutely gorgeous inside. Like, seriously home-decor-magazine stunning. The whole house had a definite flair that carried through to every room - with even a large chandelier in the bathroom, as well as a feather boa draped around a sewing bust.

Another house looked like a creepy museum. Everything was antique -- and I do mean everything! But not junky flea market, cluttered antique. Really high end, well kept stuff. It was cool but kinda freaky that these people actually live like that! I'd be very curious to meet them!

Then there was the house that belongs to two long-time chain smokers. The house has the right look for what we want, but according to Jim, the place reeked unlike anything he has experienced before. Everything is covered in a dark yellow glaze, and some of our crew complained that they found it difficult to breath and had to go outside. If we use that house, I think the walls will need to be washed and painted.

Anyway, I just find it all pretty fascinating. Of course, I'm the sort of person who likes to look in people's windows at Christmas time whenever we drive by, and admire their tree or pretty decorations. Heck, I'll even take a peek when it's not Christmas time... if your curtains are open, it's fair game! :P I think it's neat to catch a quick glimpse of how others live. I like to imagine what their lives are like. Who they are.  What they do. What matters to them. I guess that makes me a Peeping Tom... but voyeur sounds a little classier, so let's go with that. (Jim just said it's the writer in me. Great! Even better! ;)

I still have more stuff to say about our production office, auditions and the scheduling puzzle... but I want to watch the auditions I missed out on before I go to bed. Our casting director posted them online for us to review. Fun-fun! So I'll continue with another update blog on all that stuff tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. The voyerism might also be the Junop blood in you too....I also think it's neat to see what others are doing if their curtains are open, so I always try to sneak a peek too. As a trade off, our living room curtains are always semi-open. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so cute with your trade off! *LOL* That made me laugh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate to the window peaking!! I do it all the time too....I always like to see what people are doing, how they live, imagine things about them. Thanks for keeping us up to date on the production, it is so fun to read about you and Jim's world and how everything is evolving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear the peekers are all coming out of the closet. ;) Thanks for reading, Val!

    ReplyDelete