Saturday, October 23, 2010

Props

If I wasn't a writer, I'd totally work in props or set design. This is actually something I thought about over the years as our script evolved. How would each room look? What would be hanging on the walls, sitting on the table, hiding in the cupboards?

But I've never really had a full grasp of all the work and decision-making that goes into the props process. For example, when Maggie first meets Donovan, she writes something in her notebook. So the other day, our Props Master came into our office with ten different types of notebooks to choose from, with the offer to find some more options if none of them were working.

Then yesterday she approached Jim with a variety of options for calculators, saki cups, backpacks, lowball glasses and watches. Jim said he felt like Jerry Seinfeld in the episode where he was getting his kitchen renovated and the contractor kept asking him about every knob, hinge and screw. Still, I think it's very cool. You wouldn't think that something you hardly even notice would require a discussion, but it does. Definitely something to think about the next time you pop in a DVD or turn on the tube.

Now, sometimes it's as simple as a gut instinct. Like Jim said he liked the shape of the square lowball glass more than the round ones. But other times, broader discussions need to take place. For instance, I got to sit in on a set design meeting the other day, and it came up that there is supposed to be a cross hanging in Fin's kitchen - a geometric symbol that plays into our story in a completely different way later on. So the discussion revolved around what type of cross it is, as we analyzed the characters that we see on the page, as well as what we don't see, but what comes out in the character bios I've written.

At first they suggested a crucifix, but Jim n' I disagreed. Fin's not Catholic, nor is he a super religious man. Jim said that he sees Fin kinda like "Simpson's religious". He goes to church on Sundays, but is not holier-than-thou like the Flanders. Whereas I saw him more as a slightly more casual church-goer. He was raised in the church, but he usually only attends on the very occasional Sunday, and always shows up on holidays. Because he's the police sergeant in this small town, he figures that it's good p.r. to make an appearance now n' then.

Okay, so that settled it. No crucifix. But then what kind of cross would it be?

Now, I always knew what kind of cross it'd be in my mind... but I'm not the director, so I let Jim speak first. ;) Jim said a simple gold cross. To which I questioned, why would Fin own a simple gold cross? If he wasn't hardcore religious, it's not like he'd go out and buy it himself, nor would someone give it to him as a gift. I suppose it could've been something that he or Sheila (whose name has to change, because our clearance report determined that there is a real Sheila Boyd living in Vancouver) inherited it from their church-going parents. But I had a more specific idea.

Because I see Fin as a casual church attendee, he would more than likely have received a palm cross during Easter or Palm Sunday. Of course, when I suggested this, no one knew what I was talking about, so I had to Google it.

I've attended my fair share of Palm Sundays and Easter Sundays growing up. And so I've been a recipient of many-a-palm cross. They're the sort of thing you bring home after church and think, "Now what the heck do I do with this?"

Because it's a cross, most people are generally uncomfortable filing it in the round bin, or tossing it out on their compost pile. And so they usually get pressed in a book, shoved in a drawer, or tacked above a doorway... like Fin's.

When the question arose of whether or not the faded dry palm would register on camera, I suggested that they were also available in green.

Ultimately the final decision is up to Jim. While I can imagine a rationale behind choosing either cross - a palm one or a gold one - I do think the palm cross is a more interesting choice that makes more sense for our character. (Just sayin'...)

So, yeah... I just find all this props and set design stuff really cool. And because I'm so interested in it, Jim asked them if there was any way I could lend them a hand, like building volcanos for the science fair, etc. Because they could use the help, by the sounds of it, they're pretty keen to have me involved. YAY! I can't wait! :)

5 comments:

  1. And you thought there would be nothing for you to do down there. Ha! :)

    But seriously, this is another example of how you are invaluable to every part of the process. It may be painstaking at times, but by giving attention to all these details, it is going to be a much more richly-woven experience for the viewer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drat! It's too bad you're so far away. I would so come over and help you make volcanos for a day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle ~ Yeah, I have been quite a lot busier than expected, and when I'm not that busy, I still feel busy as I eavesdrop in on meetings in the next room. ;) It's pretty weird to overhear people discussing details of your project, and to not be involved in those discussions.

    Linsey ~ Oh yeah! A volcano-making party would be totally fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Mel, sounds like fun!

    I totally LOVE the idea of the palm cross...so reminiscent of our childhood....great thinking Mel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Jode! I knew that you'd know what a "palm cross" was. It was funny because I had three prop people and Jim all staring at me with NO idea what on earth I was talking about. And here I thought they were completely common. ;)

    ReplyDelete