Monday, April 18, 2011

Roasted Bell Pepper Tart

Today's Meatless Monday recipe is Roasted Bell Pepper Tart, from my Practical Cookery Vegetarian cookbook (given to me for Christmas 2002 by my cousin Jodie. :) I made this dish on Friday and had forgotten how easy it is.

Making pie crust from scratch doesn't need to be a pain in the ass. (At least I always think it's gonna be a pain in the ass until I actually get down to the business of making it.) I don't waste my time rolling the crust out so it perfectly fits into the pie plate in one full piece. Then again, if you're a patient or experienced baker, then have at it. But if you're like me, I prefer to roll the dough out just enough so it almost fits. Then I assemble it in the dish in pieces (because it always breaks apart on me whenever I pick it up), patting them all together and moulding the crust until it covers the bottom n' sides of the plate. I find that it's much easier and the results are exactly the same.

BTW, I should also note that whenever I write these recipes out, I list the ingredients that I use, such as light cheese, skim milk, etc. But if you prefer whole milk or whatever, do that instead. Cooking isn't an exact science. People shouldn't be afraid of swapping out ingredients.

Okay, so here it is...

Roasted Bell Pepper Tart

25 minutes prep
40 minutes cooking
Serves 8

Ingredients

Pastry:

1 1/2 cups of organic whole wheat flour
Pinch of sea salt
6 tbsp butter or margarine
2 tbsp green pitted olives, finely chopped (I love olives, so I do two very generous tbsp)
3 tbsp cold water

Filling:

3 bell peppers  - I like to use red, orange and yellow
2 garlic cloves
2 tbsp olive oil
1 cup grated light mozzarella cheese
2 organic eggs*
2/3 cup skim milk
1 tbsp chopped basil
Sea salt n' pepper


Directions

1. To make the pastry, sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Rub in the butter or margarine until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the olives and cold water, bringing the mixture together to form a dough.

2. Roll the dough out on a floured surface and use to line an 8 inch loose-based flan pan (or pie plate). Prick the base with a fork and leave to chill.

3. Cut all the bell pepper in half lengthways, seed, and place them skin side up on a baking sheet. Mix the garlic and oil and brush over the bell peppers. Cook in a preheated oven at 400'F for 20 minutes, or until beginning to char slightly. Let the bell peppers cool slightly and thinly slice. Arrange in the base of the pastry case, layering with the mozzerella.

4. Beat the egg and milk and add the basil. Season and pour over the bell peppers. Put the tart on a baking sheet an return to the oven for 20 minutes, or until set. Serve hot or cold.

* strongly encourage you to buy organic eggs instead of factory farmed!  This link is only for those who wonder what happens to the baby chicks born at factory farms. I included it because I thought it was very important - but instead of clicking on it, PLEASE just take my word for it and make the switch! Organic eggs are only a dollar or two more a carton and SOO worth it! *Peep, peep, peep!!* <-- That's the baby chicks thanking you!



No comments:

Post a Comment