For those of you not in the know, since 2006 Roger Ebert has endured a tireless battle against cancer. Things seemed to be very touch and go for a good year. In the end, cancer robbed him of his jawbone - and as a result, had also stolen his voice.
I probably wouldn't have known any of this if it weren't for Jim. Jim has enormous respect for Ebert, whose site has been a part of his daily surf routine for years. Jim's lifetime goal to direct a movie has always gone hand-in-hand with a dream that one day Ebert will review it. (And ideally, it'd be a good review. After all, you gotta be careful what you wish for!)
Anyway, the other day I came across the following fascinating TED video. With the help of an electronic voice, his wife and two friends, Ebert eloquently describes his battle with cancer, life without a voice, and how technology has impacted our power to communicate more than ever before. Only a couple decades ago, folks like Ebert would be locked inside their own heads, unable to communicate with the person next to them, let alone the world.
At 19 minutes in length, even as big a fan as Jim procrastinated making the time to watch it, until I just started playing it and made him. So far I've watched it twice, and may even watch it again. Whether you admire Ebert or not, the video is very interesting, enlightening and inspirational. If you can find the time, I really encourage you to see it. Ebert is such an engaging writer (speaker?), those 19 minutes do go pretty fast.
No comments:
Post a Comment