Guess what world! We're being incredibly spontaneous this evening. Only about ten minutes ago, we decided that we should check out the late show for Zombie Land tonight. Gosh! Normally activities like this are planned hours in advance! (And even then, we always opt for the early show.) However, tonight's spontaneous feature doesn't begin until 9:50. Yes 9:50, people!
Boy, what has happened to us? I still remember a time when one didn't leave the house until at least 11:00, and now catching the late show is a big deal. We're so old. Or maybe just too lazy to be bothered leaving the house after dark. And it sure gets dark early now, doesn't it?
Today was a completely uneventful kind of day in the best way. It was grey n' drizzly out, so it felt perfectly acceptable to just cozy up inside and do absolutely nothing. Dare I say it, I almost felt bored at one point. Bored!! I haven't experienced boredom since.... I don't remember when! It was kinda nice.
Jim n' I started off our day of nothingness by watching the Secret Window this morning. We haven't seen it in years, since we were first courtin' and I lived in my little carriage house downtown (with the tiny T.V. that he always insisted on pulling up towards the coffee table because it was so small.)
On a side note, have you ever noticed how many Steven King books are about writers? I guess there's some truth in what they say about writing what you know. (Of course, I hope Steve King is not well versed in the practices of murder or being a psychopath, although some of his writings certainly might suggest otherwise.) So let's see... how about we count 'em off?
First, there's obviously Misery. Then The Shining. Remember, "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy"? Love that movie! Of course Secret Window, which we saw today. Then Jim tells me Stand By Me is another one, although I personally can't remember, but I'll take his word for it. And then there's also 1408, which had an awesome theatrical version, but the DVD director's cut ending doesn't do anything for me. I've never read the book to know which was the true ending. Hmm... am I missing any? Probably.
In the last scene of Secret Window, Johnny Depp is eating a cob of corn. Mmm... Johnny Depp. Oh wait, sorry. I meant, mmm... corn on the cob. It was making me salivate. The corn. Not Johnny Depp. (Although I'm sure it's been known to happen to some women.)
Anyhow, like I was saying, I could honestly taste the crisp buttery goodness in my mouth. Ah, the power of suggestion, I couldn't get it out of my head! I ended up pestering Jim to go out into the rain and pick some up cobs at IGA for lunch. And because he's a perfect husband, he obliged even though he doesn't care much for corn on the cob himself. We needed a jug of water anyway. So I had corn on the cob and mashed potatoes, (because nothing compliments corn better than potatoes - at least in my book), while Jim had tuna. Oh well... suit yourself.
The remainder of my afternoon was spend listening to Fiona Apple and Adele as I sketched out a plan for my next painting. I can't tell you what it is, because it's a gift... and I believe the recipient occasionally reads this blog. I'll have to tell you about it later.
Aside from drawing, I also found myself wrapped up in A Complicated Kindness which I finally started reading earlier this week. What a wonderful, wonderful book. Originally I would only allow myself to read a single chapter each night before bed. It was like candy - a special treat I would grant myself at the end of the day. I'm loving this book so much, I didn't want to tear through it too fast. But today, I allowed myself to wile away the hours exploring the musings of Nomi Nickel. What rich characters. I especially love how she describes certain points about her mother in the second or third chapter. Beautiful. Love it. Love it.
Anyhow, because I wanted to put an end to this delicious literary feast before I licked the plate clean, I lumbered out of the bedroom and suggested we stretch our legs and get out of the house. There are a lot of great movies out right now - Inglorious Basterds, Where the Wild Things Are, Capitalism: A Love Story, and of course, Zombie Land. I want to see them all, but keeping with our October 'spooky movie' tradition, Zombie Land won out. It's been getting some great reviews, (as all of the above are), so I'm really looking forward to it.
Speaking of spooky movies, last night we checked out the new Sam Raimi film, Drag Me to Hell. If you enjoyed all the campy fun found in Evil Dead trilogy back in da day, then you'll probably like this one too. At least I did... Although, I have to say that I never appreciate it when they crank the volume during the scary parts. Yes, we get it. It's intense. It's scary. Must you resort to such pathetic scare tactics, such as blasting my eardrums out, simply to evoke a duck and shudder from your audience? But hey, that's just me. Fortunately Jim kept his thumb on the volume button to control the frequent shrill blasts of noise. Aside from that, I thought the movie was a lot of silly-spooky fun.
Huh. Well, it looks like I've just wasted all my time blabbering on about my lazy day, and not writing about my roses and thorns for the week (which was my original intention), so maybe I'll leave that topic for tomorrow's post. In the meantime, here's the trailer for Drag Me to Hell. (Actually, it's the trailer and a quick news clip, because the actual trailer video has the embedding disabled.)
I must share a couple of amusing similarities in this post.
ReplyDelete1) We, too, decided to do a last minute 'late night' event Saturday night, that didn't start until 9:30, and were yawning through most of it. It just so happened that it was a comedy show, and the comedienne happened to be sitting near our table before she went on stage, and heard me mention that at least we were near the exit so we could sneak out before the show was over if we got too tired. Boy, did I end up paying for that remark. Sigh.
2) I picked up a copy of Secret Window for myself and my mom to watch last week while the guys went to a hockey game. Can I admit I thought it was, um... funny? But then again, I find Steven King movies are 50/50 for me -- half of them I find really good, half I find comical and/or absurd.
Hope you enjoyed Zombie Land! Looking forward to reading your review. :o)
Ooops. I thought I already commented on this...
ReplyDeleteI cringed to read that the comedienne called you on your sneaking out remark. Yikes! I assume she mentioned it on stage and used it as part of her material. What did she say?
No official review, but I quite enjoyed Zombie Land. As far as zombie comedies go, I think Shaun of the Dead ranks above... but this is a pretty decent second. ;)