Friday, December 18, 2009

Lookin' Good


No, this post is not about how I think Jim is lookin' good today on his 37th birthday. That goes without saying.

What I really wanted to say is that although we have a ways to go before the 23rd in regards to polishing the dialog and shortening scenes, I'm finding myself really, really excited about the way our story is shaping up. It's lookin' good!

As we move through the spreadsheet scene-by-scene, I feel great about our story. We came up with some pretty terrific stuff over these last couple months. This final version offers lot more action and conflict. And even now as we write, we're always finding new ways to increase the tension and end scenes with better cliffhangers. The script truly has come a long, long way from what some of you read in earlier versions.

I think this is probably the first draft that I'm actually really excited about. I mean, our other drafts were all fine n' good, each improving with every consecutive rewrite. But this one I'm actually proud of. Okay, I guess I was proud of the last draft too - but I'm honestly even prouder of this one.

I know that we may do another tweak or two before we start casting, after the pro readers give it a second once-over... but for the most part, this will be our shooing draft. The one our prospective Donovans will read. That gives me such a thrill.

I almost never dream about our movie. Jim does. I don't.

However, last night I had a fun dream where Ricky Gervais was Jack Nicholson's agent and I listened in as he told Jack that our script was the best he had seen in years. And even though the pay was only $1,000 for the role of Donovan, it would be well-worth it for him to consider taking the part, as it would definitely be an Oscar-worthy contender.

Then, at the same time, we were approaching Albert Finney for the part. And in my dream, there was a split-screen, and I watched as both actors simultaneously signed on the dotted line to play Donovan.

The dream ended on that note.

Obviously I know that this is not a prophetic dream in any way, shape or form. But, I do think it's a pretty solid testament to how great I'm feeling about this final draft.

Yes, it will be a low budget film. Of course, I expect there to be some bumps in the road as we work towards getting it made. And sure, it may never go too far beyond the festival circuit....

However, as for putting our best foot (feet) forward, I do think this film will be something that I will be very proud to have on my resume. I do believe in it's future potential to launch my career as a "real" writer and Jim's career as a director.

I can't wait for this next year to watch as actors breath life into our words, to listen as the score heightens the emotion, and to experience the magic of the final cut.

I also can't wait to take all that I've learned from this journey and begin writing something new.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mo,
    Tell Jim Happy Birthday, what day is it anyway? Glad to hear the movie is moving right along, awesome!! Couldn't you take your car to another (whatever make it is)dealer. We did that with our truck (toyota)as long as its the same maker it doesn't really matter, other than your present dealer will be pissed off and try to tell you all kinds of bull, but if they are such jack a---- at fixing your car tell them to pound salt!!! Hope you have a fun NYE the kids and I are going over to friends for the night will be nice to get out! As for ditching the girls to hang with the guys cause you don't feel like listening to the merits of diaper brands or nursing what if you put it back on them, how would they like to spend an evening with a group of people that they have nothing in common with and then get crapped on for leaving!?! Just a suggestion on the whole actor thing to play your main character, how about Alan Rickman, he's British, played Professor Snipe in Harry Potter as well as other movies, is very articulet and well just a suggestion. Well take care and I better hear from you before my birthday (Jan 9)!:) Aunt Holly

    ReplyDelete