Monday, April 12, 2010
Contract Job Input
I just received a contract job this afternoon with instructions that basically boil down to two requests....
1. Copy two paragraphs from one document and paste them into another document.
2. Make a certain word all caps -- even though it's a script that will be recorded and no one will actually ever see the all-capped word.
This is honestly a minute's worth of work. Maybe five minutes if you include opening the email, reading it, making the revisions, attaching the revised document, and then emailing it back.
Honestly... why bother contracting out something like this in the first place? Contract workers charge so much more than f/t employees. What a waste of money.
And yet, I'd feel like a loser to even bother charging for a measly five minutes of my time. Out of curiosity, I did the math and it works out to $3.33333333333. Seriously, it would take me more time to write up the invoice than what it took to actually do the work.
On the other hand, the little devil sitting on my shoulder reminds me that I shouldn't be taking on such silly requests for free. If they're gonna send them to me, I should charge something for my time, no? After all, this isn't the first time I've been sent nonsense requests. However, back then when I was getting so many of them, I was also getting "real" contract jobs, so all in all, it actually added up to something worthwhile invoicing for.
I know that many contract workers charge a minimum flat fee. So if it takes them two minutes to do something, they'll still charge for a half hour to an hour's rate. This also works as a deterrent from getting these sorts of silly requests.
Anyhow, I don't know if I feel like I can get away with the whole flat fee thing, since I've never done it before. And yet, I feel totally stupid charging $3.33 for my time.
So I'm just wondering... to all you contract workers out there (or even the non-contract workers), what are your thoughts? Should I bother charging something or not?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Flat fee, most definitely. Most professionals do it, because your time is valuable. Whether the actual work itself takes 5 minutes, there is everything else that goes with it, like the prep work and billing time, as well as the use of your resources (i.e. computer, internet connection) that justifies the flat fee.
ReplyDeleteMight want to let them know ahead of time that you are changing your billing process though. ;)
I'm with Michelle. Although that said, if I have a long term relationship (that I want to keep) with a client, I often do little things that take no time for free so maybe I'm not the right person to give advice!! :) However, I think that's a great plan to get rid of silly requests.
ReplyDeleteGood point, Lins -- it is important to create that goodwill with clients you value.
ReplyDeleteObvious distinction, that. *lol*
You are worth a lot for your talent and education. I agree with the flat flee, it will ward off those silly little requests. I agree with Michelle, that you need to give them a heads up first, maybe with that notice you could tell them this one is on the house, but from here on in my fee starts at $$$$$ no mater how long it takes....
ReplyDeleteThanks for your input, ladies!
ReplyDeleteI don't think I'll bother charging anything this time. There's no point. But if it keeps happening, then I might say something.