Thursday, April 8, 2010

No Rest For the Wicked

Well, maybe just a little rest... but not much.

We wrapped things up yesterday afternoon. Finally. 

Can't say I was incredibly excited this time, because I know there'll be at least one more round of notes before we're officially done-done. There was also one or two things I thought of after we sent the script off that I know could've been improved if we had the time.  Nothing major though. Like in one case we just used 'fade to black' to transition from the end of one scene to a flashback. But then I had a better idea to make the two scenes connect visually. But whatever... I'm sure that'll be one of the things les producers will include in their next set of notes... which we'll get tomorrow.

Yes. That soon. At least it sounds like it. They're reading the script tonight and want to schedule a meeting tomorrow a.m. to discuss, so I can only assume they'll have some notes for us... Unless they're going to wait until the readers review it, and then pass their own notes along with the readers' notes back to us next week. I don't know...  I'm definitely hoping for the latter! I really want a little time off and was hoping we could have until Monday.

I had it all planned out....

Yesterday afternoon I turned off the computer and just focused on cleaning like a mad woman for hours on end until my body ached. Then we had a late celebratory dinner, even though we really can't afford to eat out because we still haven't been paid yet... seriously. (More on that in my future Roses n' Thorns post.)

Today we slept in, dammit!  Got caught up on a few errands. And now this evening is just for me -- blogging, painting, journaling... no interruptions. Just lovely.

Tomorrow I want to finish organizing the spare bedroom and have another non-interrupted me/us evening. Maybe even go to the movies and check out Alice in Wonderland. I love me some Tim Burton and Johnny Depp! (Except Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Some things just shouldn't be remade.)

Then Saturday & Sunday would mostly be spent catching up with everyone. I owe phone calls/video chats to 8 people! Eight! I'm expecting that's gonna be a good 12 hours, give or take, of chat time. (Spread out of course).

Sure, maybe that's not a big deal for some people. But to be honest, the thought completely overwhelms me! Probably because I'm phonophobic. My motto is definitely, "Don't call me. I'll call you. But please, feel free to email as often as you wish!" I'm sooo much better at responding to emails than phone calls, because emails can be quickly answered at any time. But if someone calls me and I don't have the time to devote my full attention to them, I won't answer the phone until I do. I would hate to tell people, "Actually I'm busy right now. Can I call you back in say... two weeks?" I'd rather just put it out there in an email or my blog (ahem) and give folks a head's up on our schedule. Nothing personal.

However, I do like to think that my friends n' family are a pretty understanding bunch, even though I still feel bad. Lately it seems that I keep saying I'm gonna call people and then I always have to friggin' postpone because we're still under the gun.  (Of course, this is not to be confused with feeling guilty. I know I have nothing to feel guilty for. My only free moments consist of eating and bathing.... and I'd hope no one would expect me to call them while I eat or bathe. And as for free time like tonight... well, who's really gonna deny me my hard-earned "me time", right?)  

Anyhoo, like I was saying, now I've got a million people to catch up with all at once, but I'm starting to get the feeling that my "me" plans for Friday and "catching up" plans for the weekend might be kyboshed if they give us a bunch of notes tomorrow morning that we have to implement over the next few days.

Fingers crossed that the onslaught of notes won't come until next week.

Of course... looking at the glass half full side o' things, at least our producers are totally eager and on the ball. The sooner we wrap this baby up, the sooner we can go out to cast our Donovan. And the sooner we cast our Donovan, the sooner we can approach Telefilm with a great script, a reputable actor, and an investment towards the budget. As far as our producers are concerned, if we approach Telefilm with those three components in place, they would be crazy to turn us down.

That being said, Telefilm's fiscal year started on April 1st, so we really need to get rolling if we want to get in there and compete before their financing is all spoken for.

So yeah, that's where it's at...  we might have our noses back to the grindstone as soon as tomorrow afternoon, but if we get to make our movie this year, then it's absolutely worth it in the end.

And now if you'll excuse me, there's a canvas calling my name.

2 comments:

  1. Keeping my fingers crossed for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Michelle... we're still waiting for their call. Trying not to think about it.

    ReplyDelete