Things have just been going so super well lately, that I think I'm gonna have to trade in my thorns for roses this week. Actually, why not make it a dozen roses?
1. Feeling validated.
So, as I mentioned in one of my last posts, we had the option to hand our script off to SWHE so she could review the dialog and provide any last minute input. Well.... she had some input alright. She decided to take a stab at rewriting a few scenes herself, and her suggestions were laced with so much profanity, you'd think it was a Tarrintino flick. It was nothing like the soft and magical tone we're going for. (Think The Sixth Sense or Hearts In Atlantis.)
For instance, in a 20 second exchange between Donovan and Finnley, there were four f-bombs, one or two assholes, one or two shits, and a bastard. And this was originally a gentle scene that had ended with Finnley giving Donovan a hug. Ha!
I mean, our movie does have a few bullshits and goddamns, n' whatnot... but seriously... there's a time and a place. Not to mention, f-bombs put huge restrictions on us. And with our film already being so indie and staring an older protagonist, we need to do everything else in our power to open it up to a wider audience. Besides that, neither of us want to make a sweary film. IMHO, it's not smart writing - unless of course it's Tarrintino, who is crazy talented and brings so much more to the table than swearing for the sake of swearing.
Anyhow, her other dialog samples were also quite long-winded, very unnatural, and so not funny. A good example of this was when she wrote that Finnley should say that he left Donovan a stack of Playboys, and then added something like, "Yeah, I know I should be sensitive, but I'm a cop, and cops aren't sensitive." Like, WTF?
In a word, Jim n' I felt that her final suggestions were just terrible. Thankfully our producers agreed with us. She only provided input for the first 29 pages, but in order to save money, les producers told her that any further input would not be necessary. Because she is a movie critic, Jim n' I are already expecting to get a bad review in the paper she writes for. Oh well... Better to receive a bad review from her, than from everyone else in the world. ;)
2. Moving forward.
Keeping with the whole script theme, as of yesterday our script was handed off to the casting director in LA, who TC will be meeting with next week. Fingers crossed that she loves it!
And speaking of people who love it, a couple months ago I mentioned another producer who will be coming on board during this next phase. Well, she just read our latest draft and apparently she was really excited about it. Jim n' I were quite flattered because it doesn't sound like she's easily impressed. So yeah.... that was very cool to hear.
I know I probably said it before, but it really feels so strange to be done the whole writing phase. I don't know what to do with myself! I still wake up in the mornings with this feeling of duty... and dread. It takes a while to shake it off.
I guess I could get started with the book adaptation, but I think I'm supposed to wait until the lawyers whip up some documents on that. Otherwise, if I start writing now, that means they'll have to write up even more documents to cover the chapters I've written pre-contract. I dunno... I think high-priced lawyers like to create extra work for themselves, which is why we Still. Haven't. Been. Paid! (My only thorn this week, if I were to include one.)
Anyhow, I think I'm just gonna try to take it easy before I have to dive back into writing again, or at least start creating a structure for the book, as I plan on adding in a few scenes that were cut from the script.
3. Unexpected surprises.
I received a couple very unexpected surprises this week which was really nice.
First, on Wednesday I went out for dinner at the Greenroom with my friend Laura. (Sorry you couldn't make it Michelle.) And she bought me dinner as sort of a congrats for this script milestone we just passed. How very sweet and thoughtful! Thanks again Laura. It was great to finally catch up. It's been a while.
Then, on Friday I received a little package in the mail from my cousin A.J.'s wife, Kerry. She sent me the most heart-warming thank you note to say how much she enjoys this blog, as well as a copy of the book, "Love, Loss and What I Wore". She had recommended it to me after reading my post All The Clothes I've Loved Before. I tried finding it at the bookstore, but I would've had to put in a special order, and so far I've just been too lazy.
Anyhow, it was such a wonderful surprise and it really made my day. It always feels nice when I hear that people actually enjoy my random ramblings. Better still, it's terrific to unexpectedly receive a book in the mail that I haven't been able to find anywhere. Thanks so much Kerry!
4. Debt free.
Okay, perhaps not debt free... after all, we are living on Jim's overdraft at the moment. (Although hopefully that'll be topped back up by next week. *knock on wood*) Maybe I should say more like "student loan debt free".
Yup... it only took 9 years, but as of April 15th, all my student loans have finally been paid off.
Now that's a milestone worth celebrating!
5. Honest mechanics.
Yesterday we finally took our car in to find out why the stupid check engine light is on. It turns out we had a couple of exhaust leaks. Damn our stupid car and all it's problems as soon as the warrantee expires!
Since our warrantee is done, the guy at the dealership confided, "Not that I don't want the business, but honestly, it would be much quicker and cheaper if you just take it to Jerry's Exhaust." Then he gave us directions. So that was pretty kind of him.
We took it straight to Jerry's and they were able to fix it up within the hour for under $100, which was fab-u-lous!
I know this could just as easily have been classified as a thorn considering it's more car troubles -- but at this point in the game, with all the car b.s. we've had since last Sept., I'm just thankful for quick fixes and not getting gouged.
6. A clean front closet.
So, this is probably a lame rose, but who cares. Jim n' I did some spring cleaning this week. We gathered up a bunch of stuff from the spare bedroom to be donated to Share, as well as cleaned out the front closet. In the mountain of miscellaneous footwear, I discovered pairs of boots and shoes I forgot I even owned. Now it's all neat and organized. There's a lot to be said about cleaning out your closets.
Okay, I still have another six roses, but I kinda want to take a break from the laptop now. Maybe I'll wrap 'em up later on today or perhaps tomorrow.
I love your posts Mel, and was very happy to read the debt free one. How great to be rid of the student loans, must make you feel wonderful. Also happy to hear that the car was fixed at a reasonable price, will be great when you can get rid of that car....maybe get a porche???? Love ya, MOM C.
ReplyDeleteThanks. :) It does feel good.
ReplyDeleteI can't wait until we can get rid of that stupid car....