I had to return two of my birthday gifts today.
The first gift was a bird feeder and a big bag of bird seed, which I absolutely LOVED, btw. We have all kinds of pretty song birds in our area, and I'd really like to draw them closer. Unfortunately, the idea of bird poop and spilled seed all over our balcony doesn't really appeal to Jim - who, incidentally, was the one who gave me the gift. And to be honest, as badly as I've wanted a bird feeder, when faced with reality, a dirty balcony doesn't really appeal to me either.
Jim told me that a sales associate recommended a humming bird feeder instead. A self-proclaimed humming bird expert, she said there's been a real influx of humming birds in the area this year, and that I could always return the regular bird feeder if I changed my mind... which I reluctantly did today. I sure hope to see some humming birds. I guess I'll just have to trust that they'll find their way to our place.
The other gift I returned was also from Jim - but again, only by his suggestion. (I'm not really that much of an ungrateful wench to ask for the receipts for all my gifts! Ha.) Anyhow, a couple weeks ago I had pointed out a funky bracelet as we walked past a store window downtown. I guess he made a mental note. (I'm super impressed!) Since then, the store switched locations. Still, Jim went to the effort to find the new location and described the bracelet to the owner, who pointed out one that matched his description. But Jim wasn't quite sure if it was the right one. So she pointed out another bracelet, which he ended up buying.
The bracelet Jim brought home was very nice, but as I tried it on, he described the first bracelet to me. Turns out, the first one was the right one. Still, I thought it was pretty thoughtful of him to remember something so casual and brief and then try n' track it down.
I've been wearing my new bracelet all day. I've never been one for "jewelry store jewelry". Let the other ladies have their diamonds n' gold. I prefer cool stuff. (Then again, I guess "cool" is pretty subjective, isn't it? Ha ha.) Anyhow, it's a white leather cuff with black silhouettes of trees and grey silhouettes of flying birds. I LOVE it! It's made by a very neat local-ish company from Victoria called Catalyst Reaction. I looove the matching belts. Gorgeous! Hmm... maybe we'll see what Christmas brings. ;)
Anyhow, since I'm talkin' b-day gifts, I figure I might as well share what else I got, and say thanks again for all presents received. (Even though I said "no gifts"... besides the bird feeder, which I specifically asked Jim for, only to return it. ;)
So here they are in no particular order...
* Lush hand soap, bubble gum sugar lip scrub (yay!), and a bath bomb from Jim. Oh, and a bigger watering can, because mine is small and really only meant for house plants. He also gave me a Beatles book, but he said it doesn't really count because he picked it up cheap as part of an HMV promo when he spent over $30.
* A super neato Udon Noodle Bowl with chopsticks from Jay n' Cheryl. I love it! It was actually something I had been eyeing up a couple years ago on BetterLivingThroughDesign, only they called theirs a Budda Bowl. Mine is green and looks exactly like this:
I can't wait to use it!
* Jim's folks gave me $50 in gift certificates that could be used at one of five restaurants, (we chose Milestones) as well as the Square Foot Gardening book.
* Jim's grandma gave me $50, which I haven't decided what to spend it on yet, as she instructed not bills, but on something nice for myself. Whoo hoo! The best kind of money is guilt-free spending money! Maybe I should put it towards one of them funky belts...
* As mentioned in my earlier blog post, Shayla picked out a cool journal with PINK pages and a strip of Canada tattoos.
* Lara generously gave me an infusion pedicure gift certificate at O*Spa. I recently mentioned how Shayla asked why my nail polish went outside the nail and onto my toe. Ha ha. I guess I had done a half-assed job of painting them that day. *blush* So Lara thought I should get something fun for summer -- but let someone else do it for me (or else risk being criticized by honest five year olds...;) She also gave me three beautiful bright orange gerber daisies.
* A gift that keeps on giving, Michelle very thoughtfully donated $25 to the Children's Hospital in Vancouver in honour of Libby, which everyone can surely appreciate.
* Rhonda filled a large basket with all kinds of garden goodies, including a little shovel, some new gardening gloves, beet, dill and sunflower seeds, some garlic chives, two basil plants, three pepper plants, and an eggplant. So. Awesome.
* Stephanie sent me some of her homemade jewelry, as usual. This time it was two beautiful necklaces with all kinds of pretty amethyst stones. My favourite! She also sent along a ring with all kinds of different coloured stones, which was especially crazy because I had just tried on a blue version of that exact. same. ring. only two days earlier, but decided to wait until after my birthday before buying anything.
There was something else I'm forgetting... Oh wait, yeah... she also sent me a four-tone compact of corrective concealers from Sephora, because she thought it was what I used and she knows I love Sephora. I think she must have me confused with someone else because I've never actually used it before, but that doesn't mean that I won't! Plus, she was right about one thing, I do love Sephora products. I really wish Kelowna had a store.
* Today I received a card in the mail from my dear cousin'd Jodie, who sent me a $25 gift certificate to La Senza (because you really can't have too many unmentionables!), and $15 to Starbucks.
It thought it was pretty funny when I read the card... well, maybe not funny to you folks, but I'm gonna tell you anyway....
First, the backstory: Growing up, Jode n' I would often say cousin'd instead of cousin, imitating some of our more valley-speakin' relatives. (Namely my sister. Sorry Amy. Ha ha.) Anyhow, now it's just become a habitual inside joke between my cousin'd n' I.
Well, when I opened Jodie's card today, I read it aloud to Jim. It started with "Cousin'd", which I read so naturally as if it were an everyday word. During the following split-second thought process, I realized that cousin'd was only our word. So, wait... how'd she ever find it on a card? That's when I noticed the slightly different shade of ink at the end of "cousin". Ha.
Anyhow, like I said... it's probably a lot funnier to me than to you. I just love how I've come to accept cousin'd as part of the English language, and that I actually had to think twice,"Cousin'd isn't really a word... is it? "
* Also today I received a package from my pal Heather. She sent me this really cool Meditating with Mandalas kit. It has a book on the history and purpose of different mandalas, as well as meditation techniques. It also includes some ready-made mandalas, coloured pencils and little tubes of coloured sand to make your own.
In her card, Heather suggested that the gift might seem juvenile, but I couldn't disagree more. I think it's wonderful, and with impeccable timing considering I've just started this 30 day meditation challenge. (I passed the challenge link on to Heather, who I believe signed up for it too... although she would've mailed her gift off before that, which is kinda cool.)
While the first day of the challenge was fine and the second was great, over these last two days I've found it increasingly difficult to quiet my mind. I think these mandalas will prove to be a useful tool. I've already finished reading the book, so tomorrow I might make some time to design my own.
Okay, so I believe that's everything, although I've been told that there are still a couple gifts to come. One of which I already know what it is... My friend Miriam was listening to CBC radio and heard an interview with a guy who has compiled stories from screenwriters about how they got their movies made. The book just came out and is called "Tales from the Script." Punny, huh? So she sought it out for me, which I thought that was very, very thoughtful. I'm really looking forward to reading it when it arrives next week!
Anyhow, thanks SOOO much to everyone for your unexpected thoughtfulness and for spoiling me silly! I feel very blessed to know such great people. :)

A neighbour of mine has hummingbird feeders and she gets tons of birds! She did tell me that you have to start early (like March) so the birds know you're there or something. Maybe the hummingbird gossip mill is slow? :) (And let me know if they work, I'm really tempted to buy some of them too.)
ReplyDeleteOh darn. I guess I'm late. I just put it out there this morning, so we'll see what happens. I think I'm probably gonna attract more ants and wasps than humming birds.
ReplyDeletehey sweetie, i am so glaad that you have lots of people who love u and send you great things.me of course, better late than never,,,it will bein the mail the beginging of next week...
ReplyDeletelove you lots
who know who