Monday, June 14, 2010

Summer Slam Roller Derby

If you don't have plans next Saturday and you live in the Okanagan, then I suggest you check out the Summer Slam Roller Derby at Prospera Place.

Now, I'm well aware that I can't roller skate to save my life -- let alone body check others while staying balanced. Still, I wanted to be involved in some capacity.

So a few weeks ago I sent "Boom Boom Buttercup" an email to ask about volunteering opportunities. She sent me a really friendly book of an email back, and then another message last night to let me pick which job I wanted: checking tickets at the doors, selling programs or selling 50/50 tickets. I said I'd like to sell 50/50 tickets. That way I'll still get to walk around and watch the bout. Plus, selling tickets feels more social and mingly than standing at the doors all night.

So if you have nothing better going on next weekend, then I think you should show your love to your local roller derby grrls and come on out... and buy some 50/50 tickets from me! :) The evening promises to be fun, fun fun!!!  There will also be an after party at Flashbacks which I haven't decided whether or not I will go to. Still playing that by ear...

Below I've included a recent Castanet article on the Peach Tarts n' the bout. Hope to see you there!



The Peach Tarts practice at Prospera Place Sunday afternoon. (Photo: Elisha Dacey - Castanet)
The Peach Tarts practice at Prospera Place Sunday afternoon. (Photo: Elisha Dacey - Castanet)


Tarts lacing up for first home match

by Elisha Dacey - Story: 54987
Jun 7, 2010 / 6:00 am

Take one part playground brawl, one part track race, add a dash of sex and a whole lotta roller blades, and you've got roller derby. 

And now, so does Kelowna. 

The Peach Tarts, Kelowna's first roller derby team in decades, presents their very first home match at Prospera Place next week, and Okanagan Roller Derby league board president Kaz "Bettie" Zvanitajs say they're doing their best to get ready. 

Zvanitajs describes the basic rules as this: 

"Each team has five girls on the track. Four girls from each team are blockers, so they're primarily defence...The jammer, one from each team, is the point scorer. The pack of eight girls, they take off at the first whistle. The second whistle, the jammers take off. 

"They have to manoeuvre their way through the pack, skate a lap, and then on their second pass through, for each opposing skater that they pass, they get a point." 

Anyone who has watched a match knows it's a rough sport, with hitting, shoving, pushing and lots of chances for injury. "There's... broken things," drawls Zvanitajs, "and lots of bruises." 

So what's the appeal? 

"It's just very dynamic, you've got lots of interesting women with alter egos, and they're dressed up and they're hitting each other," laughs Zvanitajs. "I mean, it's pretty spectacular." 

Zvanitajs says roller derby came onto her radar about five years ago, and 18 months ago she approached a co-worker about starting a team. Tons of research and 35 team members later, the Peach Tarts are currently practicing out of Prospera Place and have already had bouts, including one in Abbotsford last week. 

"Oh, we lost terribly," laughs Zvanitajs. "They're a lot more experienced team than we are, and they blocked the hell out of us...but every bout is amazing, we learn so much." 

There are four roller derby leagues in the interior, including the Okanagan Roller Derby, which is the league the Peach Tarts play in. The Peach Tarts go up against The Raggedy Rollers out of the Okanagan-Shushwap league June 19 at 7 p.m. Tickets are $12.50 and are available at selectyourtickets.com, and kids under 12 are free.

6 comments:

  1. Cool Mel, this sounds like a lot of fun....enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh awesome! I saw this article and thought that sounded like such fun. (Plus we just saw "Whip it" which I loved.) Natasha has told me that she wants to be a rollerblade racer when she grows up so perhaps I should take her to this? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should totally come! It'd be great to see you, and kids under 12 are free! (Happy 4th birthday to Natasha, btw. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The many sides of Mel! who would of thought that you were a roller derby wanta be. Enjoy Mel. Wish is wasn't so far away! Mom C.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm just full of surprises, aren't I? ;) We'll see you on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete