I didn't live in BC when the X-Files moved to L.A. after eight seasons. According to Jim, there was a bit of a backlash. People were proud of the fact that the popular series was filmed here, and when it moved south they were pissed.
Over ten years later, and much of that residual pissiness still exists today. When we were on set, a couple people made snarky remarks about them moving the series. Understandably, I suppose, as it is their bread and butter. But they weren't the only ones still bitter about the move. A couple months ago at Blockbuster, while at the counter, Jim n' I commented about a movie poster that had David Duchovny on it. The sales associate scoffed, and said, "I hate him. He was the reason they moved the X-Files to L.A." Then in the snottiest, whiniest voice she could muster, she added, "Because he didn't like the raaaaaaain."
Personally, if I had to spend 8 years standing in the cold rain, I'd be ready for some sunshine as well. They more than paid their dues! Heck, we've only been living in Vancouver for two months (six months, if you count the time we spent in nearby Maple Ridge), and I can tell you I already f*cking HATE the rain! F*ck. Ing. Hate. It.
Yes, I love the gorgeous mossy trees. The overall mild climate. The occasional breaks of hot winter sunshine where you'll see a few brave souls parading around in shorts (not me, of course...), while everywhere else people are still bundled in snow suits.
But this rain! Gawd damn! This rain is a pain!
I guess you can't have it all.
Unless you move south.
And then there's the smog....
(And would you believe the very moment I finished this blog, the days n' days of non-stop hard rain suddenly stopped? Maybe it heard me. Ah, I'm sure it'll be back in a few minutes...)

You do remember the windchill and snow in the Valley, right? Some rain, boo-hoo. :)
ReplyDeleteAnd actually St. John's and Halifax get more rain than Vancouver. So why they get the stereotype of being WET all the time I don't know.
This link is always fun, cities with toughest weather in Canada. Top 2 my home province of course.
http://climate.weatheroffice.gc.ca/winners/toughest_e.html
Interesting link. Funny they call those places "winners", I'd probably be more inclined to call them weather losers.
ReplyDeleteAnd of course, I remember the cold Valley winters. How could anyone forget?! But I'm not blogging about windchill n' snow, nor am I in a pissing (rain) contest with St. John's or Halifax. I'm not trying to compete. ;) I'm just sayin' it rains a lot here, and I'm ready for some more permanent sunshine. :P
Yeah, unfortunately Vancouver's seasons are "rain" and "less rain". But soon it will mostly stop!! And May through October is gorgeous gorgeous - have hope! :)
ReplyDeleteFor sure. I have to keep reminding myself that we've been living here during the wettest seasons. I so can't wait for May - October! ;) In the meantime, anytime it is only lightly spitting or *gasp!* even sunny, I find every excuse I can to be outside -- like today! I think we might explore Stanley Park this afternoon! :D
ReplyDeleteIf you have any interest in biking or rollerblading you should go out on the seawall around Stanley Park. One of the things I miss most about living there!
ReplyDelete