Monday, April 11, 2011

Shepherd's Pie

Okay, so this meatless Monday's recipe is Shepherd's Pie, and it is good, good, good! My family used to eat Shepherd's Pie quite a bit growing up, and it was one thing I missed once I started going meatless. For me, it is one of the ultimate comfort foods, right up there with mac n' cheese and chips n' dip.

The foundation for this recipe can be found here on allrecipes.com. But I've swapped and added a few ingredients making this version a lot tastier and healthier.

Shepherd's Pie

Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Ready in: 50 minutes

Ingredients:

4 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp finely chopped onion
1/4 cup shredded light cheddar cheese
Sea salt n' pepper to taste
1 1/3 cup chopped carrots
1 1/3 cup chopped broccoli
1 1/3 cup chopped cauliflower
(*Or sub the above 3 ingredients with 4 cups of frozen veggies if you're in a rush)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 package of Yves Veggie Ground Round
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tbsp ketchup
3/4 cup veggie broth
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup shredded light cheddar cheese

Directions:


1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain and mash. Mix in butter, finely chopped onion and 1/4 cup of shredded cheese. Season with salt n' pepper to taste. Set aside.
2. Steam carrots, broccoli and cauliflower until tender, but firm. About 10 minutes.
3. Preheat over to 375'F.
4. Heat oil in a large frying pan. Add onion and cook until clear. Add faux beef and cook until heated through. Stir in flour and cook for one minute. Add ketchup, veggie broth and worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Spread the faux beef in an even layer on the bottom of a 2 quart casserole dish. Next, spread the veggies. Top with the mashed potato mixture. Your dish may appear heaping, but don't be afraid to flatten it out and shape the potatoes with your fingers until they're all nice n' even. (Unless you have filthy fingers - in which case, you shouldn't be in the kitchen. Now go wash your hands you dirty pig!)  Finally, sprinkle with the remaining shredded cheese.
6. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.

So, SO tasty. I think I'll make this tomorrow night.

4 comments:

  1. Ooooh, I'm going to try this and not even tell anyone that it's veggie. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do it! I swear they'll never know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As soon as I use up the rest of the stuff in my fridge I am going to make one -- so craving it after talking about it yesterday! Thanks for being so willing to share your secrets, Mel! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You bet. I'm not one to keep secrets... well, recipe secrets anyway. If I love a certain dish, I always want to share it with others! :)

    ReplyDelete