Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Sister Story - Part Three

And so the clouds parted and a chorus of a thousand angels sang, "Haaaallllelujahhhh!"

We FINALLY sent that nightmare of an outline off to our producers about an hour n' a half ago. What a relief! We seriously just crammed about two months worth of work into only 2.5 weeks. 

I *really* wanted to wrap it up last night - but I knew that it was time to quit shortly after midnight when Jim tried to console me because he thought I was crying... but I wasn't crying. My eyes were just red and glassy from staring at the computer all freakin' day long. 

I know there'll still be a ton of tweaks required, but at least we're that much closer to the writing process. We absolutely have to hit these tight self-imposed deadlines if we want to go to camera next fall. (Which still might be a long shot, but we're going to do everything we can to aim for it anyway.)

Anyhow, now let's pick up where I last left off....

So yeah, my sister called me with news that she had applied to Le Cordon Bleu and was going to Ottawa to do a tour of the school. She checked out the prerequisites on their website, which included writing a short essay describing why she wanted to go to that school. 

Because of her learning disability, Amy has never been much of a writer. Actually, when we were younger, I used to be convinced that she was illiterate - and I think to a certain degree, she partially was. This recent upgrading has especially worked wonders for her. So, that being said, she asked if I would kindly proof her little essay for her. 

Well, I have got to say, I was completely blown away! She put her whole heart and soul into that essay and really made it sing. I am ashamed to say that I didn't know she had it in her. Of course I tweaked it up and also added a few things here and there, which I felt would help expand upon her love of cooking. But even my words were not really my words. I know she would've included those things herself had she thought of them.  The fact of the matter is, that beautiful heart-warming essay was all Amy.

Too bad the people at Le Cordon Bleu didn't bother to read it. 

But I'll get to that later.

So anyway, I sent the essay back to Amy and wished her luck... but also included a little P.S. that added, "And for the love of gawd, please watch your language! You can be Chef Ramsay after you graduate!" 

In case it's not obvious, my sister sometimes has such a mouth on her, that I'm sure she could make ol' Ramsay blush. She's Hard. Core. But she's gotten much better now that she has little ears around the house.

The next day I waited with bated breath to hear back from her. I was nervous, excited and even just a little bit envious, as I share my sister's passion for cooking. I'm sure that in another life, I would pursue the same path. (I'd also be a tattoo artist, an iconologist, an art therapist and a waitress.)

Amy called me once she got home. To basically sum it up Amy-style, she blew their effing socks off. 

I'm sure they could taste her passion the moment they met her. And I'm sure that passion tasted not unlike the most gourmet meal that the best chefs at Le Cordon Bleu could possibly produce. Attending this school would be a dream come true for her, and her contagious excitement probably oozed from her pores, and spread to all those she met - because it sounded like they were simply delighted to be in the presence of someone who wanted to go there so badly.

Apparently most students simply apply and then just wait to hear back, never bothering to personally contact the school for a tour. So they were already impressed with Amy's enthusiasm before she had even arrived.

While Amy and dad were toured around the school, (dad also loves to cook, so I think accompanying her on the tour was quite a thrill for him as well), the guide (or host or admissions person... whatever you call 'em) was quite taken by Amy's knowledge and use of culinary terms, as she explained to dad why the tables in the pastry kitchen need to be cold. 

"Oh, do you already have your diploma as a pastry chef?" the host asked her.

"Nope."

Instead, like some kind of miracle sponge, Amy has somehow managed to absorb every little detail she has seen on the Food network over this past year. It's definitely true what they say about how people learn much better when they're interested in the subject.

By the end of the tour, the guide (host/admissions person/whoever) was so wowed, that he told Amy, "I want you to come to this school. You MUST come to this school! We have three seats left for next year's program, and I am going to hold one for you until you make your decision."

Amy asked, "But, don't you want to read my essay?"

Once again, he was floored. Apparently applicants aren't expected to complete the essay component until they are being considered for admission. Amy had already jumped ahead. He apparently laughed and accepted it, but felt that he didn't need to read it. He had already seen enough.

So, when it was all said and done, Amy left with a smile on her face, a song in her heart, and the exciting news that she was eligible to enroll for September. The only snag... the $25,000 fee for the one year chefs program. Apparently Le Cordon Bleu is one of the three most expensive schools in the world. And... oh yeah, it's not eligible for OSAP either. (The Ontario Student Assistance Program.)

Now, not everyone has $25K in change just waiting to be smashed free from their lil' piggy banks. I mean, perhaps you do. But I generally think that most people don't.

The guide/host/admissions guy suggested that she could take the one year program over three years. It's more affordable, but it takes longer, and in the end it costs more. 

Amy doesn't want to wait three years. Not to mention, Troy is hoping to get posted out west within the next year or two, and there's only one Cordon Bleu school in Canada, and that's in Ottawa. (About an hour n' a half from where they currently live.) 

What to do? What to do?

Opportunities like this don't come by every day. And naturally, their bank scoffed that it was a little too much to pay for a one year program, and therefore they wouldn't grant them such a large loan.

In the meantime, Amy has been racking her brain, while others suggest that she just go to community college instead, or maybe wait until Troy is posted and then try applying to another cooking school. 

But it's just not the same, and I don't blame her for scrunching her nose at these options. 

So a month or two has since passed, and Amy recently called me up to say that she has finally figured out a plan.

Ah yes... I know this is what I've been hinting at. Amy's "controversial" plan. At least it's controversial to some of her friends and relatives. 

Y'see, Amy's father-in-law works for a company that drives trucks in Afghanistan. To my knowledge, it's not a military-related service, it's just some company that is over there driving supplies or something to and fro in a particular city. Sure, this city is not immune to bombing from time to time, but it's apparently nowhere near quite the same level of danger as where the soldiers are actually fighting. And naturally, the pay for a six month gig is considerably more than what most people earn in an entire year. 

So now perhaps you can see why I wrote the first two parts to Sister Story. I wanted to illustrate the kind of girl Amy is. She's got HUGE balls. I'm sure if I were to tell you that I was going to Afghanistan, well, you might freak out and think that I was absolutely insane. But Amy... well, I know my sister, and I can see it. She's a tough cookie.

Additionally, Amy has never been so blessed with such a wonderful opportunity that will get her out of the mall and into a career that she loves. She deserves this opportunity more than anyone else! Why should financial need stand in her way  - especially when there is a way to earn that kind of coinage.

Now, Amy has two children, a 7-year old daughter and a one year old son. It's not an easy decision to leave them behind for six months to go drive a truck in a war torn country... but how else will she ever come up with the cash? The way Amy looks at it is it's not forever. She's also not naive about Afghanistan. Her hubby has done two long tours over there - she's heard the stories, and she's not afraid. In her opinion, six months will go by fast enough. 

Amy plans to not only pay for her schooling with the money she earns, but she also wants to help out mom n' dad (who'll no doubt be taking care of the kids whenever Troy's at work), as well as put some money aside for the future.

I know she has what it takes, and as scary as the whole Afghanistan thing may sound, I completely support her a thousand percent! If all goes well, Amy will be leaving for Afghanistan next April. Her FIL and BIL will also be going with her, so she won't be alone, and will at least be in familiar company.

Of course, like I was sayin', when it comes to certain relatives and friends, this plan of hers is kind of a controversial one, especially since she is a mom of two little kids. But then again, there are lots of military moms out there too.

So I dunno... I'm curious... What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. OMG! Yup, your sister definitely has balls! But beyond that -- what an amazing example of taking CHARGE of life! So few people actually get out of their own way long enough to follow a dream and make a life they can be proud of!

    Yes, it will be tough for her to be away from the kids, but what a terrific role model she is going to be for them. By embracing her own dreams and doing whatever it takes to achieve them, she is also setting her kids up for a successful future.

    My hat is off to you, Amy!

    ReplyDelete