Alright, so I was gonna toss on an apron, tie a red ribbon in my hair, and be a dear little house-wifey by preparing a nice meal before Jim got home from the office. Actually, I was only going to do the latter two... and the red ribbon was more like a black elastic - this isn't the 1950's after all... But anyhow, the nice homemade meal o' food got canceled when I remembered that it's Friday, and we usually like to do something different on Fridays.
Of course, "different" is debatable, unless you consider choosing between Brandt's Creek Pub next door or (the unfortunately-named) Tsunami Japanese restaurant across the street 'different'. What sad creatures of habit we are. (Worse yet, I already have my mind set on what I'll probably order at both restaurants.)
Anyhoo, since I'm not gonna run across the street to pick up the basil leaves and grated parm I would've required to make my dinner of tomato-zucchini gratin and Mediterranean artichoke and potato medley -- which, by the way, probably tastes better than anything I'm gonna order over at Brandt's -- I'm now left with a little extra time on my hands. So, why not take advantage of these spare moments and start writing out this weeks' roses and thorns.
Rose
I was thrilled to receive a letter from my good friend Amanda, which included a bunch of photographs of her little guy, Nathan, as well as a really great pic of her and my cousin Jodie. It was such a lovely surprise! After all, who doesn't love to receive "real" mail -- especially when it's real mail of the "just because" variety. Wonderful!
Thorn
Realizing that I forgot to include that special rose in last week's roses and thorns entry - which is why it gets top billing this week. Sorry, Manda.
Rose
Jim n' I had a great time on Sunday night hanging out with Ray and his three old friends who were visiting from Vancouver. I had a blast watching the guys break into a jam session on four guitars and the bongos.
The only thing musical about me is my name, so I've never really been privy to too many spontaneous jams before. So, whether the boys would agree or not, in my unprofessional opinion, I thought that it was absolutely fabulous! It made me wish that I could play something besides my stereo. I thought of picking up Ray's didgeridoo, but then wisely decided against it.
Jim n' I enjoyed the great company until 2 a.m., but then felt that we should probably call it a night since we did have work to do in the morning n' all... I think we both could've easily stayed longer.
Thorn
Speaking of only playing my stereo, it seems that I can't even do that... well, kinda. This weekend I was disappointed to discover that my new stereo system is missing the remote! Dammit! So although I can play, stop, and control the volume - I can't skip songs.
I went back to the store and asked if they had just forgotten to give the remote to me. Turns out that was the reason why the stereo was half price. Huh... funny because when I had originally asked why it was half off, they only said that it was because the stereo was their display model and so it was missing the box and instructions. They conveniently forgot to mention that the remote control had been stolen. Argh.
Oh well, it's my own stupid fault for not noticing in the first place. Apparently I can order a replacement from Panasonic, so that's fine. But still... it was a definite thorn in my side this week.
Rose
Now, I was originally planning on grouping this rose in with the last one, but I think it really deserves a special nod of its own.... Ray's hammock. Now, I know thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's hammock, but I can't help it. All summer long, any time I pass Ray's place, I've been eying that thing with envy, hoping for a chance to get a turn on it, and let my mind float away for a while.
I've always wanted a hammock. I'd be willing to get rid of all our patio furniture just to make space for one. Okay, that's a lie. We do have a swing and it's pretty nice... but it's not quite the same feeling.
So yeah, on Sunday night I made a couple departures from the jam party just to enjoy a peaceful solo sway beneath the late night sky... and it was delightful!
Thorn
While I was able to enjoy a lullaby of calm thoughts while swinging on the hammock, for the most part throughout this past week, I've found that whenever I let my mind wander, it keeps pouring over a conversation I had with a really obnoxious individual late last week.
The worst part is it seems that as soon as I start thinking about them, I find myself getting into a nasty mood (on the inside anyway...) Fortunately, I've been making progress over the last couple of days, catching myself whenever I think of them, reminding myself of all the reasons why they are the way they are, and then just learning to let it go. It's definitely a process though....
Rose
I've been asked to submit some of my poetry and writing to this gentleman who'd like to publish it. He asked about a year ago, and I thought he was just being courteous or something, so I didn't really act on the opportunity. However, he just asked Jim about it again this week, so I guess he was being serious. So on that note, I should probably get on that.
Thorn
I don't know what to submit?! While I do a lot of poetic thinking, I don't always write down the poetry that flows through my mind. And yeah, sure, I've been blogging for the last couple years (not here - but elsewhere), but again, my blog posts are hardly short stories or worthy of print. So now I'm feeling kinda pressured to produce.
I have maybe 3 or 4 poems/pieces that I'd be will to share, and am hoping to come up with a couple more in the next week or two. Of course, a lot of my poetic thoughts come to me just as I'm falling asleep. So naturally, last night I found myself tip-toeing in the dark to find a pen and paper to write down those midnight whispers. I'm sure the late night crap that floods my mind can't be any worse than some of the other poetic nonsense I've seen published, right? :P
Rose
We wrapped up our script outline again this week, which means that maybe, just maybe, we might be able to start writing next week!
Thorn
I'm all outta thorns.
Oh, except that I read about this Catholic university in the U.S. that has students doing tests on animals which include...
Umm... actually, y'know what? Let's scratch that. I'm not going to tell you. You don't want to know, because I wish I hadn't read it. Let's just leave this rose n' thorn entry on a happy note, shall we?
Have a great long weekend! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment