Friday, June 4, 2010

Roses and Thorns May 29 - June 4

Okay, let's get this roses n' thorns thing back on track...

Rose
The sunshine held out for our community garden BBQ yesterday. Not that I have a lot to say about the event, other than they served veggie burgers on compostable plates with compostable cutlery made out of sugar cane. Apparently they will decompose in just over a month. I also got quite a few comments on my pretty garden markers, so that made me feel nice. People were saying that I could sell them. I've been thinkin' about it...

Thorn
Due to some external circumstances, unfortunately the DE book project has been shelved. (No pun intended.) I thought for sure that I'd be disappointed, and maybe it sounds bad to admit this, but I actually wasn't. I think Jim felt worse for me than I felt for myself.

I don't know... I mean, I was definitely looking forward to the process of writing a book (as opposed to a script), but I am just SOOO completely Donovan'd out right now. I think that's why I kept making excuses to put the adaptation off until all the contracts had finally been signed. (Which in retrospect, was actually a wise decision!)

And yeah, I was looking forward to the possibility of refilling our coffers too. Although I'm not terribly concerned because I wasn't actually counting on that money, mainly because I didn't know how much to expect. Not to mention, you know what they say about counting chickens n' all that...

Before we began writing DE together in 2006, I had started working on my own story. I've continued mulling the idea over and making notes throughout these last four years, so maybe it's time to revisit it. It's a story that I really want to write, because it's a lot more personal to me.

Then again, if I'm going to be honest-honest, I actually don't feel like writing anything right now. As per my "Tomorrow I Wake Up" post, I recently made the decision that I just want to work on my art for the time being. I mean, aside from the odd contract job, because we have to pay the bills of course. (Which is funny because I just got my first contract job in months yesterday. Every little bit helps!)

Rose
Speaking of just wanting to just focus on my art, the same hour I learned that the book project had been put on hold, I got a call back from the Kelowna Fire Museum and Education Centre. They are looking for local artists to paint fire helmets, which will be auctioned off starting at $200 each. The money goes towards the museum which just moved to a new location. The helmets and artist bios will be featured on their website, providing everyone with the opportunity to gain a lil' exposure and possibly pick up some commission work. (Thanks Michelle for passing the link along!)

I asked if I could paint two helmets, because I had two ideas. But since last night, one of my ideas has changed. My dad (who almost never emails) heard about the project through my mom, and so he sent me a very encouraging email with a neat idea for one of the helmets. It'll be quite a bit more challenging to paint than my original concept, but his email was brimming with support that he believes I can pull it off. It was very unexpected and needless to say, it made me feel really good. Actually, that should be a rose in itself. :)

Thorn
Little Libby had to go back to Vancouver yesterday, and this morning the doctors determined that she has to go in for more surgery tonight to fix some things. Poor little girl. I feel so bad for Jay n' Cheryl and all they're going though. No doubt this is unbelievably upsetting/frustrating.

On a related note, apparently the doctor also said that the type of cancer she had in her eye is not the rare type of cancer they thought it was -- it's ever rarer. Actually, it's a type the doctors have never even seen before. So it has been sent off to have some tests done on it, so they can determine what it is. That being said, all her spinal fluid tests did come back clean, so they believe it was localized and that they got it all.

Rose
Still super excited about an upcoming surprise. Can't wait! *clap-clap*

Thorn
Would it be too obvious to say that I'm unhappy about the BP oil spill? Actually it's more like f*cking disgusted to the millionth degree. I can think of a good way to plug the spewing leak.... Stuff the shit heads responsible for this mess down the hole. Seriously.


Rose
This is going to sound stupid, but composting is a rose for me this week. I've always felt kinda guilty about throwing so much compostable stuff in the garbage, but now that we have a composter at our garden, I bring whatever scraps I have with me every day I go down to water.

Please don't ask why this excites me so much, 'cause I have no idea. I only know that I caught myself singing aloud to my little kitchen compost baggie the other day. "Oooh compost! You're lookin' so composty!"

Why am I such a tard?

Thorn
Marc Emery's latest FB status that mysteriously disappeared in the time it took me to write this. Last night's status (which is still up) reads, "Was informed tonight that my phone privileges are suspended for at least three days, because Jodie recorded my first prison pot-cast, but apparently you're not allowed to record phone calls from prison. I was given an official "citation" and read my "rights" and have a hearing in a few days to determine punishment. Could be up to 60 days of no phone. We're very sad..."

However, today's status was a follow-up written by his wife Jodie to say that Marc's lawyer informed her that Marc has since been put in the "hole" (a.k.a solitary confinement) for a week, maybe longer, because she record his phone call.

Don't even get me started on my thoughts about a Canadian being extradited to the U.S. Total b.s.


Rose
Despite the obvious thorns on the outside, this has felt like a really great week inwardly. I've been waking up with a smile on my face. I feel calm. Inspired. Happy. It's all good. :)


Thorn
This weather. I know I shouldn't complain about all this rain, but yeah... just a little more sunshine might be nice. Boo hoo. :P

3 comments:

  1. Lots of goodies in here that caught my attention, but I thought I would mention that I'm a total compost geek -- another thing we may have in common.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did I send you this? http://crafthope.com/? Not painting this time around, but might be something else to do with your art skills/environmental awareness...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeremy - Glad I'm not alone in my compost enthusiasm! Ha. ;)

    Linsey - No, I've never seen that link before. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete