Alright, I haven't exactly given my dreams, goals and desires for 2011 too much thought, but perhaps if I just start writing they'll come to me naturally.
Dreams
* To continue living the dream.
In other words, have another creative project lined up before our money runs out at the end of the year.
* Have Tim Burton direct the next screenplay I write.
I know... I should be writing something for m'love to direct. And chances are we will write something else together soon enough. However, I've had an idea brewing pre-DE that is ready to blossom onto the page. (More on that beneath Goals...) I've pitched the concept to Jim a couple times over the years, and while he finds it interesting, it doesn't quite jive with the tone and style he'd to establish for himself as a filmmaker. In fact, my quirky idea almost goes completely against the grain of what he'd like to achieve stylistically.
So, if Jim isn't interested, I asked myself who I thought would be the most ideal director for a project like mine. The answer was obvious - Tim Burton. I have loved Burton's films before I even knew who he was. I watched Beetlejuice over and over and over again as a kid. Edward Scissor Hands and Ed Wood are classic. Big Fish is absolutely one of my all-time favourite films. And while I wasn't a fan of his Charlie and the Chocolate Factory remake, I can forgive and forget.
I think if anyone can bring my quirky idea to life, it's him. Realistically I know that he wouldn't be able to direct my screenplay this year, (I haven't even written it yet!), but at least I can put the dream out there.
* To be recognized at Toronto International Film Festival
Even though it's not a sure thing that our film will even be accepted into TIFF, we've received a lot of assurance from others in the industry that in their opinion, it will definitely get it. I'm actually feeling pretty confident that it will too. So instead of making "acceptance" the dream, I would like to up the ante to "recognition". Why not?! :)
And when I say recognition, I mean that it generates a really good buzz and/or wins an award. When we were in pre-production, we heard that DE was developing a great industry buzz around Vancouver. But the kind of buzz you get at a festival is the kind that can make a career... and ultimately, that's what we both want!
Goals
* Find a great place to live.
I don't know if there will be one or two moves for us this year, but either way, I want our move(s) to go as smoothly as possible, and for us to find an apartment and neighbourhood where we both feel happy.
**Progress made: Ha. I actually started this entry two days ago, but just came back to it now to finish writing my Desires. Anyway, this morning we were offered a very nice, affordable place IN Vancouver. But more on that in another post...
* Write at least a first draft of SIFILWTDW.
Yes, that's the acronym for my next script. (I'm happy to share my story idea in person or via email, but I think it makes sense to keep a lid on it publicly.) The title came to me five years ago in a dream, where I had written this great story called SIFILWTDW, and it was very successful. When I awoke, I tried writing it out as a poem. Then in the months that followed, I tinkered around with the idea of writing it as a book, but I soon became too tied up with DE to take the time to flesh it out any further. Since then, I've had plenty of opportunities to play with the idea, and now that my mind is free to mull something new, I really like what I'm coming up with.
While I won't get into specifics, I will say is that it brings mythological characters into the present as everyday people in a quirky, dark-ish romantic dramedy. Fun. Fun. I can't wait to jump into it! (Once I get this sketchbook project off my back, that is...)
* Paint at least 6 pictures.
I was going to double my goal from last year by saying that I should paint 8. But I think I'd be happy if I could just churn out 6.
* Start an Etsy site and make at least two sales.
I may have created an account with Etsy last year, but I never actually uploaded anything on there yet. So I would like to paint up a few batches of garden markers before the spring, and see if I can sell any. I know that people could probably get lost browsing on Etsy for hours, as there's lots of neat stuff to see -which is why I'd be happy if I could make just two sales before the end of the year.
**Progress made: This morning I noticed that Michelle had commented on my earlier post about wanting to buy some garden markers. When I read her comment in my email, I worried that I had accidentally clicked publish on this post too soon, which prompted me to come back so I could finish writing it. But nope, turns out I hadn't published part two yet -- she was just reading my mind. So on that note, it looks like I already have a garden marker customer! But for the purpose of this goal, I think I'll only count strangers on Etsy.
* Look after my health.
While this goal encompasses trying to drink more water and get more regular exercise, it also includes trying to prevent a few hereditary conditions down the road. I would like to make sure I'm doing all I can nutritionally or supplements-wise to avoid my parents' problems.
Desires
Desires is such a toughie, because it's so abstract. So I've given it some thought and if anything, I would like to approach this new year really living by the same mantra:
* Allow.
I know that there will be many exciting times ahead this year - but excitement doesn't come without stress... So what I desire for myself is that I don't get too overwhelmed in either direction, but rather that I just allow life to unfold as it may. Enjoy the good, and seek to understand the bad. It's about all that any of us can do.
Okay, and so I think that's it for another year!
I love it when our minds go to the same place at the same time! Sign me up as your first customer -- but we can transact offline and save the commission you will have to pay on Etsy. I already have a few people in mind to give them to as gifts! Let me know when you are ready and I will put in my order. :o)
ReplyDeleteAwesome! Make me a list and tell me when you'd like them by, and I'll peck away at them. I was thinking of charging $10 for 5. Does that sound fair?
ReplyDeleteI think on Etsy I might charge $12.50 to cover any commission. That still works out to $2.50 each. That's pretty reasonable, right?
Definitely reasonable! I will put a list together soon. Thanks Mel! :o)
ReplyDelete