When we were on set, I loved hearing everyone else's stories about other actors/directors/producers they had worked with, and the interesting experiences they had. I've never shared any of the stories in this blog, because doing so felt trashy. I don't work for TMZ.
However....
Last week I caught a few minutes on Regis and Kelly, and John Leguizamo was the guest. They were speaking to him about his new Broadway show Ghetto Klown, but then switched gears to discuss Steven Seagal. (Fast forward to 4:05 to hear what he has to say...)
So. If they can discuss Steven Seagal on Regis n' Kelly (and Broadway), then hopefully you won't find it too gossipy of me if I share a few secondhand stories I heard about Mr. Seagal on set. While I obviously can't verify the validity of any of them, I will say that each of these stories came up in totally different conversations by various cast n' crew members - so it's not like people were standing around competing to tell the most outrageous tall tale. Because SS pumps out a new straight-to-DVD flick every week (or at least it feels that way), almost everyone has had the displeasure of working with him at some point. I imagine that there are probably enough stories to fill a book - but these are the three that I remember best....
Number one: He doesn't really act, he just reads everything off of cue cards, even if he wrote the script himself. In one instance, he was reading the cue card, and then shouted, "Emmit? Who the f*ck is Emmit?" Some brave soul quietly informed him , "That's your character's name, sir." To which he apparently replied, "Who the f*ck named my character Emmit?" He did. He wrote the script.
Number two: One day SS came out of his trailer and was screaming, "Who the f*ck tied my shoes? I want to know who the f*ck tied them!? They're too tight!"
Ha. There is just sooo much wrong with this picture...
First of all, he has someone tie his shoes for him!? WTH? I know actors are catered to and fussed over, but that's just pathetic.
Secondly, he's that self-absorbed that he can't even be bothered to remember who bends down to perform the demeaning job of tying his shoes every day.
Third, he was complaining about how they tied them! For real?!
And fourth, the reason he wanted to know who tied them too tight, was because he wanted them to come back to his trailer and tie them up again!
This leads to only one possible conclusion - Steven Seagal does not know how to tie his shoes. ;)
Number three: During a rehearsal take, Steven slammed another actor's (not a stuntman's - an actor's!) head into a counter, knocking out all of his front teeth and sending him to the Emergency Room.
I would imagine that in the real world, someone like Steven would probably be charged with assault and ordered to attend anger management classes. However, in the entertainment industry, they just brought in another actor to replace his now-toothless predecessor. Ah, no bid'ness like show bid'ness, huh?
What an idiot....
Yep. Even in early 90s he was the same. He once hosted Saturday Night Live. Didn't know he was bad to deal with till a year later.
ReplyDeleteNick Cage hosted Saturday Night Live and opening monologue did a bit where they had him talking about actresses he's worked with. Commenting on their body parts. [All part of the bit] So Lorne took him aside backstage and explain he shouldn't talk that way. This was part of it.
Nicolas Cage: [ nervous ] Well, they-they-they probably think I'm the biggest jerk who's ever been on the show!
Lorne Michaels: No, no. That would be Steven Seagal.
http://snltranscripts.jt.org/92/92amono.phtml
When you are such a jerk SNL calls you on it ON AIR that is bad. Lorne banned him from the show after his hosting gig.
I recall watching that show because the Seagal line was out of the blue so thought maybe it was real. Heard after how it wasn't a joke. :)
Ha. Yes, I recently saw that clip on a SNL special. We thought it was funny, knowing that it was probably very true.
ReplyDelete