This evening we watched Nowhere Boy (which wasn't a musical), based on the upbringing of John Lennon. The casting was off and the momentum was kinda slow, so while it was okay, I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend it.
Regardless, this put me on a YouTube search for the song Nowhere Man from the movie Yellow Submarine - which I haven't watched in years, even though I owned up until this recent move. (I only had it on VHS, and we don't have a VCR anymore, so there was no point in keeping it...)
After watching Nowhere Man, I had to check out the video for Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds. While I like all of the creativity and nonsense in this cinematic art piece, I've always loved how they illustrated this song in particular, as it is a bit of an art explosion. I think my favourite part is the couple dancing around the 2:38 mark. I love the carefree scribbles of pastels and paint that splash out beyond the lines. It looks like they must've had so much fun!
After watching Lucy, I decided to check out some tunes from another musical I love, Pink Floyd's The Wall. Again, such a super creative film. I never realized how much Bob Geldof looked like Jerry Seinfeld before - I mean, he's obviously not identical, but I think there's definitely a similarity there...
Finally, I think one of my favourite musicals is Hedwig and the Angry Inch. It started as an off-off Broadway show, and was eventually made into a kick ass little movie. Funny n' creative, featuring excellent music with amazing lyrics. I love, love, love it. And because I love it so much, I'm gonna show two of my favourite songs from the film, Origin of Love and Wicked Little Town.
Okay, that's enough YouTubeing n' blogging for tonight. I had better be off to bed now... G'night.
No comments:
Post a Comment