Thursday, March 17, 2011

Manufacturing Stoke

Last summer when I was visiting Ontariariario, I had the pleasure of meeting Pierce n' Petra, Heather's friends from San Diego. They decided to pop up to Ottawa for a couple days, while RVing across America on their honeymoon adventure. Super cool people.

As independent documentary filmmakers, in their free time Pierce n' Petra had been plugging away on a film about illegal immigration across the Mexican border. Some of the stories Pierce shared were fascinating! Unfortunately he said they were at a bit of a crossroads, because it was originally supposed to be a short film - but at around 45 minutes, it was quickly turning into a feature-length doc. Also, since the project had wrapped, Arizona's new controversial immigration law had come into play, leaving much more work to be done.

So when I heard that the trailer for their documentary was coming out this week, I immediately thought it would be about immigration. That is until Pierce said something about the nightmare of trying to organize surfers... unless Mexicans illegally surf across the border? That's when I remembered hearing about a surfing doc they had been working on, but I mistakenly thought it had already been released to DVD.

Anyway, the film is called Manufacturing Stoke, and I have to say, both Jim n' I are really impressed and look forward to checking it out. It has some beautiful shots n' looks pretty slick. So exciting!

Way to go guys!!


MANUFACTURING STOKE from misfit pictures on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment