Saturday, July 17, 2010

Climbing that Mountain

There's an easy way up the mountain and then there's the hard way. I'm not trying to be metaphorical here... I'm actually talking about the mountain down the street. The easy path is a little longer, but it gets you to where you need to go without killin' yourself. Meanwhile, the hard way pretty much goes straight up. It's steep. Totally doable... but quite steep.

My first time up the mountain, I took the steep way. While scaling the side, I didn't quite understand how the path could be so vertical, as I had seen both seniors and people's pets wandering around up there through my binoculars. I mean, how the hell did they ever do it?!

The higher we hiked, the more worried I became about how the heck we were ever going to get back down again. I was anticipating that we'd have to somehow slide down on our butts, because it was far too daunting to walk without the risk of twisting your ankle or something.

Fortunately, we didn't have to cross that bridge. Once at the top, I discovered a well-worn path that took us for a relaxing walk down the other side through the forest. I can't tell you my relief!

Anyhow, the reason I share this story with you now is because for the last half hour or more, I've been sitting out here on my swing, watching a hiker try to climb the face of that mountain. I've seen him attempt different routes and backtrack because the climb obviously got a lil' too crazy. He's taken about four long breaks as he slowly makes his way to the top. And I can't help but imagine how happy he's gonna be when he's greeted by that lovely path back down. (If he doesn't know it's there already...)

Okay, maybe I should get back to climbing my own mountain (of writing) for just a bit longer before bath n' movie time. We haven't exactly had the most productive day, as we worked for maybe only four hours total. Yes, I know it's Saturday, but since our deadline is a.s.a.p., we really need to keep our noses to the grindstone right now. Although I do think that we're making decent time overall, so that's good.

3 comments:

  1. Bagged milk -- I had almost forgotten about that! Which reminds me of another related item -- remember the Snippit, the little cutter specifically for opening the bags? With the magnet on the back so you could stick it on your fridge in between uses?

    More useless trivia from a fellow former Ontarian! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, I had always meant to pick up a Snippit! I generally used whatever knife was handy because I could never find my scissors. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How the heck did I wind up putting that comment under this post..? Weird!

    ReplyDelete