After such a long lapse of not doing R&T posts, it almost feels too soon to try n' write one. But I've got over an hour on my hands before our meeting, and since all I really feel like doing right now is sitting outside on the swing, I might as well be productive while I'm swinging. Especially since I'm sure things will get hairy again right after said meeting.
Our week of tweaks was good. I'm actually really, really happy with what we've come up with. The only thorn in my side is that the script is now about 114 pages long, and I really want to have it between 105 - 110. But our time was too tight to afford another pass.
The latest version needs to go back to our distributers (who may have further notes...) and out to Telefilm on Monday morning, so we aimed to have the latest draft in to les producers by Wednesday night. That way they could have some time to review it, provide us with any notes, and then let us polish until Sunday night.
So yeah, this last week has been been busy, busy, busy, busy. I am pretty confident in what we produced, even though it felt extremely rushed. :P
Now we've just been trying to take advantage of this patch of free time before we get back to work. Unfortunately, I wish "taking advantage" meant lounging at the beach. Instead, yesterday was spent more in catch up mode. Jim did errands dropping stuff off at some places and picking things up at others. And I spent the day dusting, sweeping, vacuuming, washing, spritzing, scrubbing. Good times!
While I dusted, swept, vacuumed, washed, spritzed, and scrubbed, I was able to start making a mental note of all the things that can soon be purged. I'm quite excited about the stuff I'll be getting rid of! Is that a weird thing to say? Because I really am. It's fun to think that someone may actually like some of the possessions I'm totally bored with or that I never use. Why hoard them in cupboards, closets and drawers, when someone else out there can breath new life into them? (Ha. And now my mind is suddenly struck with cartoon images from Beauty and The Beast and the dancing kitchenware.) Anyhow, I have some pretty decent stuff to get rid of... But don't get me wrong - I've got a whole lotta crap too....
I think I'll tackle the whole purging thing once the writing is over and done with. In the meantime, I've been just enjoying the rest of my day n' a half off. I met with with Michelle and Laura for dinner next door at Brandt's... whose food had become considerably pricer since they removed the pool table and added that new back room (that's almost always blocked off, and would get more use if they stuck a dark board in there or something.) But I digress...
The ladies came over for a bit on the balcony after dinner. When they left, Jim n' I finally took advantage of our free movie passes (that we're constantly forgetting to use...) and checked out Inception. Wow! What a super cool, imaginative film.
Apparently Christopher Nolan (of the new Batman movies, The Prestige and Memento) pitched the idea, thinking that it would only take him a few months to write. It ended up taking him eight years!! But after seeing the movie, I'd have to say it was time well spent!
The story plays with unique ideas that may sound complex - dreams within dreams within dreams - but the rules of reality are made easy to follow. It also has a very neat subplot about the protagonist and his wife. One of my favourite parts is how the very last shot of the movie just hooks you to perfection. Loved it! I expect Nolan to win best original screenplay, or at least be a serious contender.
Speaking of screenplays, our meeting is comin' up, so I'd better prepare. Wish us luck. ;)
And maybe I'll get around to that roses n' thorns post a little later... or perhaps next week instead.
No comments:
Post a Comment